Weather in Corfu

Please feel free to talk about anything Corfu related.

Weather in Corfu

Postby Stephanie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi can anyone tell me what the weather is like in the middle of may in Corfu as I am thinking of going to Messonghi at that time.

Thanks

Steph rofl
Stephanie

Re: Weather in Corfu

Postby Al » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 pm

hiya Stephanie

Welcome to the corfu web site and forums :good2:

The weather in early May is around 20 / 21°C, and then towards the end of May raising to 26°C ish :suun:
Still will go off cooler at night not by much though.

A very good time to Visit Corfu :dup:

What part of messonghi will you be staying ??

Regards

Al :comp:
Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Cremation Ashes

Postby Stephanie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Al

We stay in Kerkyra Island Apartments, we have been coming to messonghi for 12 years and love the place. Sadly I lost my husband at Christmas and 1 of his wishes was to have some of his ashes scattered in Corfu, so I am coming with a friend but in June now and not May, the only thing is I don't know how to get the ashes through customs, I know I am really supposed to go through the greek embassy in London, but I live in Manchester so don't want to be trailing down to London, what would be your suggestion for getting them to Greece, I thought if I put them in my suitcase then I may have a chance of getting them there.

Steph
Stephanie

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Stephanie,

Firtly, our sincere condolences and sympathies at the sad loss of your husband. I am sure he will be very pleased to have his ashes scattered at a place he loved so much. I have given details of the address for the Greek Embassy in London, which you can contact by telephone or email. They are very good with their help on matters such as this and will advise you of the course to take. It is not long and winded, and the telephone call should result in a letter of permission to do so. It maybe also adviseable to inform the airlines that you will be carrying the ashes of your late husband for committal. This again will be no problem, but just a courteous notification.

GREEK EMBASSY AND CONSULATE ADDRESS DETAILS

Incidentaly, the weather in Corfu for this week is very Sunny, Cloudless, Windless with temps from 24 to 26c (75-78f) and improving all the time. Therefore by June as per normal Corfu weather, I would be absolutely sure it will be very good weather. Keep an eye on the predicated weather for June, and other months by using the link below.

CORFU WEATHER
Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Stephanie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi Chris

Thank you for you reply, however I have contacted to Greek embassy in London and have been told by them that I have to take the ashes down to them as they go through them to check it is ashes, as I live in Manchester and work this is a nightmare for me to have to travel by train all the way to London, they also said that it will take approximately 24-48 hours for them to deal with this so it would mean me staying over in London.

I wondered if I would get away with just putting some in a small container in my suitcase.

Steph
Stephanie

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 am

To be honest Stephanie, I can see no problem in what you are doing. You can for a reasonable price, obtain a casket from the funeral directors, making sure there is no metalic bits on the casket, and pack it into your suitcase, undetected, and take them to Corfu. Friends of mine did this, however, they drove to Corfu, and the ferry controls are not as strict as the airports.

If you just wanted to take a portion of the ashes, it would obviously be easier than all the red tape that is need.

Have you had a chat with the funeral directors on this. Just to find out what they say.

Good Luck.
Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Stephanie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Chris

Yes I have got a certificate from the funeral directors to say it is the ashes of Derek, I am just going to get a small pot of some kind and just take a few in my suitcase, he wanted some scattering in Messonghi as that is where we always stayed and some scattering up at Agios Dimitri as there is a beautiful little church up there and you can see the whole of Corfu.
Stephanie

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Stephanie,

I then foresee no problems. If anything is said, the letter from the Funeral Directors should suffice. May your husband rest in peace, and enjoy the beauty of Corfu for eternity.
Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Community Chat