Information on touring the West side of the island

Ask a question regarding Agios Gordios, Pelekas, Glyfada & Sinarades or Assist others to find the answer to their questions

Re: Information on touring the West side of the island

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Annette.

Firstly, welcome to the Holiday Corfu. Dare I say, but I do not believe in many of the review sites. Most of the reviews are written by visitors who spend two or three hundred pound on a holiday, and expect a £900 treat. It does not work that way. Anyway, that is another story, and only my opinion. A holiday is what you make of it, and can only be enjoyed by yourselves as you wish.

Pelekas, as you know situated on the West Coast, approximately centrally located in equal distance to the north and south. Hiring a car is recommended, moreso if you want to see more of Corfu than most excursions or tours will give you. You can drive up into the hills, to villages that tours cannot get to, and much more. Better still you are your own boss, and tour guide. A good map is recommended, and most car hire companies will give you a good map. There are many on the market, both in the UK and moreso on Corfu.

There are many places to visit on the West Coast, such as Liapades, Paleokastritsa, Agios Geogios North, Ermones, Avoloites, Agios Stefanos NW, and these are heading north from Pelekas, and are all on the coast. To the south you have Sinardes, Agios Gordios, Agios Georgios South. Inland you will find the Ropa Valley, and many old villages, some of which retain their original feel, and more of the real Greek life.

The roads on Corfu can be daunting, specially for the first time, but taking things easy, and keeping to the rules as far as you are concerned will ensure you have an enjoyable visit to the island. Remember, Corfu is only 55km long, and about half that at its widest point, so you could see a lot of Corfu during your stay.

Our pages offer lots of information regarding all these places, and much more with information, maps, places to eat, etc etc. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me or any member.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Agios Gordios. Pelekas, Glyfada & Sinarades Forum