Currency Advice

This forum if for you to post prices of every day Items in Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and so much more.

Currency Advice

Postby GJJW » Mon May 14, 2012 10:16 am

Hi All
My Monther-In-Law is currently at our apartment in Acharavi and has been advised that when the season is busier, tourists should bring currency in small denominations and don't bother bringing a card as most ATMS's in Corfu will run out quickly.
Has anyone heard the same as I was planning on taking my Halifax Clarity card?
Cheers
GJJW :good2:
GJJW

Re: Currency Advice

Postby Chris » Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 pm

The Independent Travel Journalist Simon Calder advised on a recent news programme to obtain Euros in small denominations. The reason
for this was that if the Greek problem continues in the direction it is heading, there may not be the currency available to give change to
the bigger denominations. He also advised that ATMs may, but stressed, may run out of cash. By the way, he was on his way to Greece.

My advice is to check with the company you are exchanging money with, or see your banks.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GJJW » Mon May 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Cheers Chris
Guess it's a wait and see until the current situation with Greece
is sorted (if ever)! :good2:
GJJW

Postby DaveD » Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Sorry but all this indecision has put us off Greece for the time being. We have booked Malta for two weeks. The money we are going to spend in Malta could have gone into Greek pockets. Its sad I know but I am not risking a disaster of being stuck on an island if the Greeks make a bad decision and upset their euro masters. As for the ATMs running dry well thats downright dangerous if you are a family on holiday.
DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby mitera » Tue May 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi Dave, what as shame you have given Greece the chop this year :ddown:, im sure you wouldnt wake there one morning and it would have changed to Drachma over night , so im sure you wouldnt be stuck there at all. if they were to go back to Drachma it wouldnt be overnight and i never use ATM's in Greece in 30 years, i take euros or travellers cheques, im sorry you feel that way your missing out thats all i can say... and all the more ouzo for me !! hurrahh :suun:
mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby DaveD » Tue May 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Sorry that we arnt going but the situation could turn out ugly very quickly. Today Simon Calder warned on, Radio 2, to only take notes of low denomination. He booked a hotel and was asked to post his E100 deposit by post. The Hotel didnt want his credit card. We found this last year the credit card machine was ALWAYS out of order and they demanded cash! That must tell you something. :ddown:
DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Chris » Wed May 16, 2012 5:16 pm

This is exactly what Simon Calder was saying on the BBC Breakfast last week. What he says is not to be taken lightly, he has a very good
reputation on holiday matters.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mitera » Wed May 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Have to say ive never used an ATM in Greece as i take the money, or travellers cheques, i really dont think this will happen while were on holiday, and you wouldnt get stuck there we have paid our airfare there and back, it hasnt even been decided yet, its not putting me off drinks drinks
mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Chris » Wed May 16, 2012 7:51 pm

I am certainly not trying to put people off, this is so far from my mind. However, I feel it necessary to let others know of the problems that may arise if the situation gets worse, which is more than likely to do so.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mitera » Wed May 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Chris, i wasnt suggesting for a moment YOU put me off, im not letting THIS situation put me off, and it wont not a bit of it, as i say i cant imagine this happening over night , i have many freinds in Greece and they dont forsee a problem with tourists and their Euros at this moment in time, i dont think either that the shops and banks have a stash of Drachma ready to use overnight. i think there is a bit of scare mongering going on as usual .even if it were to happen while we were there, what could i do, we need to take money with us to live on, so ive no idea !!!
mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby DaveD » Wed May 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Dear Mitera, please make sure you have adequate holiday insurance. The radio tonight was insisting if you plan to travel to the Greek islands to make sure you have this and to check you are covered for strikes as cheap insurance will not have this.
DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby mitera » Wed May 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks Dave , we have good cover, but im still not really expecting to wake up one morning to find the Drachma on the go, to be honest im not sure what to expect, we go to a small not very touristy place, if they dont accept our Euros they will not have any money and their businesses will go to the wall, so who knows .
mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby WF1 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 am

If you take the advice of the Taverna owners, summer is the time to take money and why change the currency at the height of the season, I would suggest it would be better for them to take Euros and not drachma. It makes sense, all the Greeks are taking their Euros out of the banks! So to take more Euros is the right thing for them to do. Has anyone got an up to date idea of prices in the Tavernas?
WF1

Postby afcb1965 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 am

Just read this thread, Not sure what anyone is worried about, as someone posted greece won't go back to the drac overnight, as for all the greeks taking there money out the bank, that one made me and the wife chuckle..
My advice is the same this year as it is every year, bring £'s, better rate on corfu then you will get from any bank.

ps, where i work we're taking cards,£'s, euro's.

edited to add..
We have so far had 4 couples staying at our place that haven't been to corfu for years, I asked why they decided to return, there answer was to support the greeks in these hard times.
afcb1965

Postby GJJW » Thu May 17, 2012 12:22 pm

With all due respect afcb1965, people are worried because the news, media from the UK and the rest of Europe does not make good viewing if you are planning to spend your hard earned money and holiday time in Greece this year.
GJJW

Postby afcb1965 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Ok, worried about what? If you come on holiday here you would have a return ticket so no one will be stuck here.
As said before, if and thats a big if greece went back to the drac it would take month's to do so, it won't happen overnight.
If it goes back to dracs you will be able to exchange euro's, pounds, etc just like alot of people that bring £'s to greece at the moment.
Sorry if my post is too positive but papers in the uk are doing a great job at scaring people...i.e, daily mail story about william hague advising all ex-pats to visit there embassy, when in fact when you see the program he said no such thing, hence why thousands of ex-pats around greece contacted the mail and let the paper have both barrals.
afcb1965

Postby GJJW » Thu May 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Completely agree about the press portarying Greece poorly, but you have to admit that the riots and uncertainty are not exactly helping!
Anyway, people are worried about what currency to take to Greece which is what my original post was about. If I have a reliance on card/ATM and this fails to work, what happens to my family and me? The question was simply what's best, but I can se why people would worry about it. Maybe I am not as relaxed as you........well I am in England and you are in Greece :good2:
GJJW

Postby afcb1965 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I see what your saying about riots etc. all atm's are working fine at the moment, i still think the best return on your £ is exchanging locally, sidari at the moment is 1.24 i think, or it was yesterday.
afcb1965

Postby WF1 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:19 pm

I think the UK press is doing it's usual, scare anyone and everyone. Lets be honest, we are talking of a currency, not a food shortage. We will be able to eat, drink and enjoy this great island. We have been going to Greece for years and last year the papers told us that all the food prices had gone up over 100%. In fact all the Tavernas had held their prices and were glad of the custom. I agree we will have a flight ticket home, shame though!!
WF1

Postby GJJW » Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm

I have to come home lol? rofl
I suppose we are all different peeople who have different levels of worry etc. I for one like to be organised and to know what I'm in for (so to speak) which i do wish I could change sometimes!
As long as we all enjoy our hols and Corfu gains from this, then who cares?
Still like to know that ATM's work when I get there though lol :good2:
GJJW

Next

Return to Corfu Prices