CORFU 2012 - CORFU OR NOT CORFU

Please feel free to talk about anything Corfu related.

CORFU 2012 - CORFU OR NOT CORFU

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 am

You may have read my post regarding the story in the Daily Mail, where the Foreign Secretary, William Hague was in the process
of organising through consulates, the possible evacuation of British Ex Pats and Tourists if matters in Greece got worse.

This film shows us how Corfu is fairing in 2012, with interviews with local businessmen and others. Read what you will, but I feel this gives us good
reason to continue to visit Corfu for our holidays, setting holiday homes, or retirement homes. What are your views.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CORFU 2012 - CORFU OR NOT CORFU

Postby GJJW » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Completely agree Chris.
I can honestly see no reason why I should not visit my beloved Corfu.
Yes, prices may be a higher, and the odd freebie here and there may not appear, and yes
crime has and probabaly will increase.
However, I have no reason to believe that the safety of my family will be endangered, and we
are actually helping the island with it's tourism trade and taverna owners etc, by continuing to support.
It's not as if I am visiting a war torn country for gooness sake and until I feel that my family will be threatened
by visiting the area, or that friendly Corfu welcome and hospitality disappears, I will keep going :good2:
Cheers
GJJW
GJJW

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:27 pm

I cannot agree more GJJW. From what one can see and hear from the film above, even the local businessmen are showing a positive
response, and were quite responsive to let everyone know that the problem is in Athens, and the Mainland, rather than on Corfu. Of
course we know that the problems does and will effect Corfu, but I feel from what the businessmen were saying, and seeing the prices
on their boards, shows that the price rises are very small to cover new taxes. This will be confirmed later from the owner of the
Ocean Bar.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveD » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Will they take credit/debit cards this year?
DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Al » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi All

First off the video is made by the two " Al's" NOT me,, had to clear that up first :wink:

The video is correct Corfu is Corfu, it was the same last year and it's to be the same this year and the next and so on....
If you have or your thinking of making plans to visit then all I can say is "Go For It" :dup:
OK the odd price may have gone up slightly as it would in any holiday destination.

We all know what Corfu is like:- the beauty of the Island, friendly locals, safe for families/singles alike, warm sea's,
good food etc etc etc the list is endless, Is that not why we all fell in love with the Island !!!

:suun: :sunb: drinks :sunb: :suun:

All the Best

Al :comp:
Al
Admin
Admin

Postby Alecko » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 am

Thanks for that little video Chris, I know the grey haired chap with the beard. If I am not mistaken his name is Alan and has live in Corfu for many years. He worked on the caique belonging to the late Capt. Aris from Acharavi, I think it was Castaway Travel. He was on board helping out on deck etc. and also taking videos of the trip which he used to flog to the passengers. They did cruises to Corfu Town and beach Bar B. Q's.

The passengers were bussed from Acharavi, Roda and Sidari to Imerolia just outside of Kassiopi to join the boat as there is no harbour at Acharavi. At the end of the cruise passengers were dropped off at the Imerolia Beach Taverna for a drink to await their buses. We always stayed at Imerolia and that is how I knew Alan, he was,is, quite a character. He used to leave his video camera lying about on the tables and the waiters used to hide it and there was pandemonium when it was time to leave. This was when video cameras first came out and were massive shoulder cameras. It brough back a few memories seeing him again.

We will be going to Kassiopi again in September for a month. I got the flights with easyJet from Gatwick for the same price as last year and I e-mailed our apts. and they are the same price as last year as well. I am expecting bar and restaurant to be a little higher along with supermarket prices. This will be our 33rd. year on the trot. The wife won't go anywhere else so I am stuck with it :dup:

There are a few problems in Kassiopi, we rang our friend last week (a Scottish girl) who has lived in Kassiopi for getting on for 20 years and she told us that her husband, who works for the council, hasn't been paid for four months. Another friend who is away at sea on a big bulk carrier rang me from Australia last Sunday where they are loading iron ore for China and told me that his salary has been cut by 300 Euros per month. There are lots of nationalties on the ship, Russians, Ukrainians and Filipinos and there wages have not been touched, only the Greek crew members.

Best regards..........Alec.
Alecko

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Both Alan and his friend appear to be very good characters, and have offered a view/point of opinion from their respective, which is good
to hear. You having met the Alan guy, proves that in his long time on Corfu he has made his mark amongst the visitors, which I feel makes
a good day out for all involved.

33 years visiting Corfu, my word that is some feat in itself. As you may recall from the CTG days, I first visited in 1974 with the Royal Navy.
Did not go back for a few years, then another visit, and then started taking holidays to Corfu and other islands, but Corfu has always been
our first love. I am saddened that I am at this time still unable to get out there by air. Have considered other modes of transport, but it means
having 3 weeks holiday, which my wifes company is reluctant to give as one holiday.

Great to hear from you again Alecko. Keep well shipmate.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Alecko » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:15 am

Sorry for my late reply Chris, sorry to hear that you are still not able to fly, never mind when Elaine retires you will be able to drive down and have a few weeks there :dup: Mind you, having said that, if the pension age keeps going up you might have a long wait.

I see that Bournemouth has done well in the latest holiday surveys. :good2: Is the airline still running to Corfu from Bournemouth, was it called Palm air?

Best regards......Alec.
Alecko

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Alec,

The medical profession have cleared me to fly, but as I said before, I find myself feeling claustrophobic in such small seating areas.
One cannot guarantee leg room, regardless of whether it is paid for or not. Maybe on the outward bound flight, but not on the inward
bound flight as I have found out in the past.

We would love to do the car trip, or the train trip, but need that extra time for travel which Elaine's employment is not happy to grant.

Sadly Palmair ceased business in 2010 by announcing that there would be no flights with Palmair as of 2011. Ever since Sir Peter Bath
passed away in 2006, the company had slowly gone down hill, along with the demise of European Airways, and the Astreaus taking back
the white aircraft on loan to Palmair. I believe Bath Travel who owned Palmair, wanted to concentrate on the Cruise Holidays which they
do very well.

Thomson have a flight to Corfu from the beginning of May to end of September on a Friday from Bournemouth, departing at 6am, and
arriving back in Bournemouth at 1pm.

Bournemouth might have done well on the Beach Front, although the so called Surf Reef is a continuing failure, and now looks that it
will never come to fruition. However, the rest of Bournemouth is let down by the many Fun Pubs, Night Clubs and establishements that
do not suit the elderly or family visitors. There is nothing for the family visitors, nor any indoor activities in case of inclement weather.
Much is being said about future proposals, but nothing comes to light, or gets done. We have a corrupt council, who appears to think
for themselves and not the people.

Regards, Chris

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Community Chat