GREEK ECONOMY - WHAT DID YOU THINK

This forum if for you to post prices of every day Items in Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and so much more.

GREEK ECONOMY - WHAT DID YOU THINK

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:28 pm

As we approach the new season for holidays on Corfu, and in light of the present financial problems within Greece, I am asking all members of the forum, and guests from elsewhere if they would be so kind, that on returning from their holidays to Corfu, through 2010, lets us know if they found things such as prices being higher, facilities being toned down, or even closed. Fuel costs, costs of everyday items for those Self Catering, etc etc. It would be good to eventually compile a list of items and prices, ranging from Accommodation, Flights, down to such small things as an Ice Cream or a Giro.

Please, once you have been on holiday add your findings to this thread. Thank you.
Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GREEK ECONOMY - WHAT DID YOU THINK

Postby Kathy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Chris
i am not going until Seotember
But i will certainly come on here and let everyone know what i felt about prices etc etc
Kathy xx
Kathy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hellsbells » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:45 pm

I got back last night. I stayed in Sidari and found a few shops had gone since last year. I was also told that some of the Brit places are shutting. The Red Lion and apparently Churchills may not be far behind! I think things were a little more expensive, but not drastically so. But saying this, the Greeks are saying if they put the taxes up anymore, then they will have to hike their prices up.
hellsbells

Postby Al » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi hellsbells

Welcome back & we hope you had a nice holiday :good2:

We were in messonghi in August and we too noticed a couple of places closed down but with that said there was a lot of new building work going on.
Prices were slightly more this year but was to be expected just like a yearly rise nothing to drastic.
We know that there is a problem in Greece with the economy how bad I don't know,, Messonghi Beach Hotel was closed this year as they have a few thing going that hit the area quite bad but when were there everything was ticking over nicely, but one of our greek friends said that it will be re-opening when they have sorted everything out, when it re-opens that should bring everything back to normal well in messonghi anyways. :dup:

Regards

Al :cool:
Al
Admin
Admin

Postby Etsiketsi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I have nothing to add this year as due to illness circumstances prevented us from taking up our Flight Booking.

It's sad but Easyjet don't give refunds on bookings made and our Insurance didn't cover us for the loss so we had to forgo everything. No problem, you win some lose some.

Rog
Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby janmanessi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:45 pm

with Easyjet though for a small fee you can change your tickets to a later date, another destination etc. so in fact they are more flexible than the charter flights used to be! Changes must be booked before the date you are due to travel of course!
janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Chris » Tue May 17, 2011 11:52 am

It has been a while since anything further has been added to this thread, so finding the following link brom the BBC website, I thought I would post the link on this thread. The link indicates what is being done within the IMF at this time.

Eurozone talks in Brussels to focus on Greece

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gfere40 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi there,
I think that most of Greeks this year (2012)will not have any money for holidays regarding all the finance measures that have had through all these ridiculous acts from some European countries.
However, now its the time to see our present and not our future because we have the problem and WE SHOULD have come up with a or some realistic solutions.

Regards
Grigoris Fougaros
gfere40

Postby DaveD » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 pm

These 'ridiculous acts from some European countries' have had to be made to save your bacon mister.
DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Last night we had a fabulous dinner party with a Greek family who work in the Pharmacy business, and new my wife who as you know is in the
same employment. Inevitably the conversion at the table was directed towards the problem in Greece. Although our friends have been in the UK
for 4 or 5 years, they still have their families living in Greece. However, what surprised me was the fact that they insisted that the main problem
in Greece is centred around Athens, and that Towns and Villages, and of course the islands are not feeling the problem as much as they do in the
major cities. On top of this, they were adamant that the problem was brought on by the Greeks themselves through the problem of tax payments
and other financial payments.

I was quite taken aback by this response, but it was confirmed later when the lady of the house spoke to her parents who run a farm in central
mainland of Greece, which is a family business, to which her sister and husband work on the farm also.

When one hears this sort of feedback from those actually involved within the country, it certainly makes one think.

Chris
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Corfu Prices