Hi.

Ask a question regarding Corfu Town or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Tanya

Hi.

Post by Tanya » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 am

Hi I'm Tanya and I found this website while looking for info about Corfu. Me and my 12 year old daughter are going to stay on the island in June it's our first holiday together and she opted to stay in the Aqualandria hotel, it seems the closest beaches are pebbled is there any sand beaches local?
Is it true that mosquitos are a problem I should worry about?
Also is there family nightlife?

Sorry for all the questions :roll: I'll try to join in with the conversations on here.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Hi.

Post by Chris » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Tanya.

Again :wel: to the Holiday Corfu Forum. The reason I have moved your first post to this section is that Corfu Town is probably the closest resort area to where you are staying in June. You refer your accommodation to Aqualandria, am I to understand this is the hotel at the Aqualand Complex. I have not heard of this name before, and on research it is the only one that is offered. Anyway lets hope this is correct.

Aqualand is situated basically in the centre of the island, between Corfu Town, and Glyfada, at a village called Agios Ioannis, approximately 5km from the Corfu Town.

Most beaches around Corfu are of stone or pebble, unless one goes to the north of the island, and in some cases the south. However there is one beach I highly recommend, and that is the Kontokali Beach, which is on the east coast about 3km from Aqualand. You do not say if you are hiring a car for the visit, which would make life easier. If not, no worries. There is a reasonable bus service from Aqualand to Corfu Town, and then upto Kontokali, but at that distance, it would not be expensive to use a taxi to get to the beach. Probably €5 each way. The Aqualand hotel courtesy bus to get you to the beach (not sure which when they use but it is a sandy beach, probably the one I have mentioned). The courtesy bus also does trips to Corfu Town, which is a must visit. Last bus back is at 10pm, if you fancy staying later, then a taxi will be about €15 to 20. The Kontokali Beach belongs to the Kontokali Bay Hotel, but is open to the public, and non residents. Just along from there is a smaller beach, with a cafeteria, run by a Anglo - Greek family. Far better.

Nightlife in all resorts, and I know the Aqualand put on good shows both for kids and adults. However, for a few Euros in a taxi you could venture to Kontokali or better still Gouvia for all the nightlife you want. Most clubs and bars will allow children in with an adult. The Greeks and specially the Corfiots love children. You will also find lots of Tavernas and Restaurants so you can sample the wonderful Greek food and drinks.

Mosquitos unfortunately are prevalent on Corfu, although I have to say I have never been bitten myself. Good remedies are as follows; plenty of Vitamin B6, ie, Marmite, on toast of course (do not rub into skin), use less perfume, non fragrant deodorants. Avon do a range of natural odour sprays specifically for bites, and repellants. I carry a couple of lemon smelling night lights that we stick on the table if not already there, this keeps them away. Unfortunately, it is one of those things, but take the right precautions, and it will not marr your holiday.

OK Tany, that has answered your first questions. It does not matter how many you have, fire away, we are here to answer them. Here are some links for you to look at:

AQUALAND CORFU

AQUALAND HOTEL AND COMPLEX

Yeiamas, Chris

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi Chris I don't drive so it would be foolish of me to hire a car lol :grin: So we'll be relying on the bus service or taxis.

We only booked for 7 days because there's nothing worse than going on holiday and being bored when you don't know the area like Benadorm.

We only chose the hotel for two reasons Bell wanted to visit Aqaland and it's free to hotel residents but I have told her I do want to see Corfu too kids. The second reason is it's all inclusive and it's my holiday too and I'm not cooking I hate it at the best of times.

You found the correct hotel by the way. :smile:

Ok I have another question, The food what dishes would you recomend I try?

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 am

Having yourself not been to Greece I assume, you will find that there is lots of wonderful dishes which one would want to try all of them. Without being rude, an All Inclusive Hotel (I understand the reasons why you chose this) will offer a range of foods on an international basis, ie, British, Dutch, Italian and Greek dishes. The advantage is that you can eat as much as you like at no extra cost. The disadvantage, you would really need to eat out to sample proper Greek/Corfiot food. So perhaps one evening you and your daughter can head off into town, and have a meal as part of your evening out.

Dishes recommended, Kleftico, a lamb dish usually cooked in a bag or a foil wrap with pototoes and vegetables, with various herbs. Stifado, another meat dish, of beef or rabbit, with baby onions, and herbs, served with Greek Roast Potatoes, Saganaki, usually seafood consisting of fish pieces and/or prawns. Mousaka, but a lot different than we cook at home. Normal mince meant, aubergines, and vegetables, but layered with Pollenta or Semolina and the sauce. Far better. Pastissio, like a Mousaka but served with a spagetti sauce. Souvlaki, Meatballs in a Tomato and Onion sauce. And of course being an island, there are many fish and seafood dishes. In my opinion when out, eat at Tavernas and Restaurants where the locals eat. The food is cheaper, the menus are not extensive, and the custome is better. If you go into Corfu Town to look out for a Restaurant called Rex's, absolutely wonderful.

If you do get into Gouvia, there are many restaurants and tavernas to choose from, including many alternative places such as Indian, Mexican, Chinese etc. Lots of bars and clubs where children can also go.

You will enjoy your stay at Aqualand, but you will miss out on a lot elsewhere. So next time think of staying in scuh places as Gouvia, Kontokali, Sidari or Roda. You will be close the towns and villages. On local bus routes. You can arrange excursions and tours to Aqualand, Corfu Town, and many other places on the island.

Next question please. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeiamas, Chris