I'm so excited

Ask a question regarding Dassia or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

alythia47

I'm so excited

Post by alythia47 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Everyone... I am really looking forward to my week long break in Dassia.. havnt been there before but have been to other parts of Corfu so I know I wont be disappointed. Although I have booked all inclusive .. the Tripadviser forums are not saying too nice things about the food in the hotel.. I'm not worried because the holiday was cheap enough for me not to worry and I will just go out to eat in the evenings. Any recommendations on tavernas with good authentic Greek food will be appreciated? I have been to Corfu Town several times so I know where I can get good food there just not familiar with Dassia yet .. but I know I will be by the time I leave.. I just love exploring.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: I'm so excited

Post by Chris » Mon May 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi Alythia. Firstly, welcome to the Holiday Corfu Forum. I have not stayed at the resort of Dassia, but usually staying at the resorts of Gouvia and Kontokali, just south of Dassia, we have taken the odd day visit to the village for a look around. Like most resorts, Dassia does offer a great deal for all visitors, and I will endeovour to give you some idea at what to expect for your holiday.

As I said Dassia has much to offer for the couples or family groups, DASSIA RESORT LOOK, and the DASSIA RESORT GUIDE. I can recommend one very good Taverna that we used on a couple of occasions, and that is the Alexandros Taverna. It has a wonderful menu, both Greek and English, with a very good drinks list, and the prices are affordable to everyones pockets. I have added a map of Dassia to give you some idea of what is available and where:

http://www.greatshakescorfu.com/images/dassia_map.jpg

Another good Taverna/Restaurant to visit is GREAT SHAKES, after your wonderful meal, you can join in the fun of Dancing, Karaoke, and much more, or just relax and enjoy.

And of course what holiday would not be complete with a visit to the beach. Dassia has a fine beach, with watersports, boat hire and much more, DASSIA BEACH

If there is anything else you need to know, please come back and ask. All we ask is on your return, you tell us your stories and reviews of your visit, and maybe add a few pictures to our gallery.

Yeiamas, Chris

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Mon May 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi alythia 47

As you know already, Corfu is such a beautiful Island and like you say there is so much to explore
and find for yourself which personally I think is the best way at times.
too nice things about the food in the hotel
As for the food in the hotel, a lot of the negative comments normally come from people who don't like to try new foods
and are stuck in their ways, like they have a full English breakfast and it has to have all English ingredients and if its not English products there not happy, you have to have an open mind when reading these reviews.
Everyone has different tastes and what one person dose not like another person will like.

I have had food all over the Island and I have Never had a bad experience, I have had dishes with the same name but in the south they cook it differently to the north etc

I'm sure you will have a fantastic Holiday, please keep us informed on how your holiday went

Best Regards

Al :cool:

I'm sure everything will be just fine

alythia47

Post by alythia47 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, onoy eight more sleeps!! I am so looking forward to this holiday as I really need a break and a rest and I know I will get this in Greece.
Yes I agree, people moan if they dont get chips with every meal ( or some people I should say) so I am not at all worried. I have travelled to most of the Greek Islands and also a lot of the mainland as I was lucky enough to live in Athens for 10 years and so used to just hop on a ferry so I am used to exploring and looking for out of the way places and have visited Corfu before and it really is a lovely island. I have to say that I havnt been anywhere in Greece that I havnt fallen in love with though.

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Sun May 31, 2009 9:58 pm

Alythia

You sound just like my wife and I with your love of all things Greek. Have a good holiday and let us know what you thought of Dassia.

Rog

alythia47

Post by alythia47 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Hello Rog... I think I must have been a Greek in another life! I feel so at home in Greece that I cant explain just how wonderful it feels when I go back but of course if you love the place you probably know how I feel but its hard to explain to someone who only ever goes to Spain for instance on holiday... to me its more than just liking Greece and the holidays I have there its the whole package, the people, the places, the food, the light, the smells.
As I said in a previous post, when I lived there, I was teaching English and so I got all the school holidays free and was able to just go island hopping or even hop on a bus and get out of Athens - although I am also one of those nutty people who just adore Athens city!!
My best adventure so far was going to a village called Lia - very close to the Albanian border. I had read a book called Eleni and of course the follow up book and then another one called North of Ithaca by Eleni's grandaughter and I had this overpowering urge to just go to the village and see the place they were talking about .. if you get chance to read Eleni ( if you havnt already that is) its by Nicholas Gage and it tells you so much about Greek history around the second world war time and you then understand why the Greeks do the things they do or act in certain ways... it really is a wonderful true story. The village was wonderful... so far up the mountains that I thought I was never going to get there and I went to the house and was even invited inside to look around... of course you would need to read the book to fully understand what this meant to me.
Are you and your wife going over this year and where are you going. I would certainly be back living there if it wasnt for my two small grandchildren who live close by to me now.. the wrench would be just too much so I have to console myself with popping over a couple of times a year.
Have you guys been off the beaten track - I would love to hear where you have been.

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Alythia

I have read Nicholas Gage's books and completely agree with you. I go to a small hill village called Liapades on the North West coast not far from Paleocastritsa.

What Nicholas Gage says about the Greek personalities is still true today when you get into the small villages. The Philoxenia (hospitalty) is the same today as it was fifty years ago. They may enquire things from you "Your Job, How Much You Earn, Your House" etc, etc, but if you don't tell them what they already think they will just nod knowingly and say to themselves "OK so you don't want to tell me". You be a friend to them and they're your friends for life but, don't cross them cos' they'll never forgive you.

I wouldn't go anywhere else. It isn't the Sun, Sea, Food or The Company it's everthything that keeps attracting me.

Rog