Back from Dassia

Ask a question regarding Dassia or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

alythia47

Back from Dassia

Post by alythia47 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:17 am

Have been to Corfu before but not to Dassia... not too sure about the resort.. parts of it look a little dilapidated and quite a few businesses seem to be closed down however, the beach is pretty nice and there are some nice bars alongside the beach. The bus service appeared to be well used into Corfu Town and regular and its not very far away.

I know that with the taverna owners in the area, all inclusive is not very popular but my daughter and I stayed at the Telemachos Hotel and found it to be really good value for money. We did hire a car and go out 5 out of 7 days as did several other guest there and so although I know that they are probably losing some business there are still some holiday makers who like to get away from the hotel and find nice little family taverna's offering authentic Greek food.

I have been travelling to Greece at least twice a year for the last 20 years and although prices go up every year.. this is the first year where I can honestly say that the prices have risen to such an extent where I would have been broke after a few days if I hadnt been all inclusive and I dont think it was all to do with the exchange rate of the euro.
I think that some greedy taverna owners have put up their prices because they can use the exchange rate as an excuse.
Please dont anyone tell me that a portion of yemista is worth 8 euros, or a portion of kokoretsi - 8 euros!!!

Maybe the taverna owners in Dassia and the surrounding area should look at how they are pricing up and offering the meals and giving value for money and then people wouldnt have to look at all inclusive. I personally prefer self catering where I can choose what time I eat and where I eat and I like to try different tavernas and I know a lot of people who think this way but if you only have a limited budget and need a holiday then you are going to look for something that is value for money.

I would stay in Dassia again but only if I could hire a car .. its so easy to get to other lovely places from there.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Back from Dassia

Post by Chris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:53 am

Thank you Alythia for your wonderful review of your recent holiday to Dassia. We are hearing so much about varying prices across the island, which does not make good reading for some setting off, sadly it is the sign of the times. However, I do agree that the Corfiot Taverna owners maybe making a rod for their own backs. On the other hand I have read reviews from others and on other forums that some owners are offering 10, 15 and 20% discounts if one returns to their tavernas for meals etc. Which is obviously a good gesture. No doubt there are other discounts about also.

The most important thing is that you had a great time, and you took advantage of hiring a car and getting out. Look forward to maybe reading more reviews, and seeing some photos when convenient.

Yeiamas, Chris