First Time Visit

Ask a question regarding Dassia or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

rick-colton

First Time Visit

Post by rick-colton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 am

Hello, me and my girlfriend will be coming to dassia on the 31st August. We are staying at the Corfu Chandris. We are both looking forward to this very much!! I have been to a few Greek islands now, and you really cannot beat it, they are so friendly and helpful. Just a few questions if anyone would be good enough to answer:

1. Any recommendations for good tavernas in Dassia?
2. Can you walk to Ipsos from Dassia
3. Can you hire Quad bikes in Dassia, and what do the locals think about stupid english people riding them!!
4. Smoking Ban, is it actually in force by anybody? I smoke (dirty I know)

Thanks Very much

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: First Time Visit

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:01 am

Rick

Don't worry about the Corfiote people. They are happy with all Brits, they might think we're a bit mad at times but, as long as you treat them with the same respect as they give you, you have nothing to worry about.

Smoking Ban!!!!! I haven't been there since it was introduced but lnowing the people I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. They'll do what they want to do rather than follow the letter of the law.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Rick.

Firstly, welcome to you both to the Holiday Corfu Forum. And congratulations on choosing another holiday in Greece, in particular Corfu. We hope we can be of help to you.

Dassia is a wonderful small village set on the east coast of Corfu, and offers a great holiday to all those who visit, see more at the following link, DASSIA RESORT CORFU. Dassia is also close to Corfu Town, which is a must to visit for history, shopping and eating out. A No7 Blue Bus runs from Dassia to Corfu Town, you can see the timetable in this link, CORFU BLUE BUS TIMETABLE.

More information on your accommodation in Dassia can be found here, DASSIA CHANDRIS

1. There are a number of Restaurants/Tavernas in Dassia, but I personally have only ate a one or two. One in particular is the Alexandros Taverna, this establishment comes highly recommended. For more information, ALEXANDROS TAVERNA DASSIA. Another is the Alex, ALEX CAFE DASSIA. And of course we must not forget the Great Shakes, GREAT SHAKES BAR & RESTAURANT DASSIA.

2. Ipsos is about 2.5 - 3km north of Dassia along a coast road, which is not too bad. I suppose it depends on how fit you are, and obviously how hot it is. The heat will snap your energy regardless. At the bus terminal in Dassia, I believe if you wish, you can catch a Green Bus to Ipsos. Look for the bus going to Kassiopi. I have done the walk in the past, and if you take your time, it is OK, and you will find places to stop off if you wish.

3. You can hire Quad Bikes, and I would recommend D&M BIKES - DASSIA. What I would say about riding quad bikes is safety. Make sure you listen to what the hirer tells you. Make sure you have and wear the correct safety equipment (The Police will stop you, I have been stopped in the past). Be careful of the roads. You might ride the bike perfectly, it is other traffic, both locals and tourists you have to watch out for. Some roads are very slippery when hot, and more so after a rain shower. Hire at will, but please take it easy. I know of accidents, including a girl from my home town.

4. The smoking ban is in force, and has been since the 1st July. Basically all public places are smoke free, with the following exceptions. Restaurants and Tavernas if over 70sq meters, have to provide an area inside for smokers, however, it is thought that this has been given some leeway until the end of the season to be erected/fitted, but will be adhered to next year. Under 70sq meters, the owner has to decide whether his or her place is a full on smoking area, or not. Appropriate signage should be on view. The Greek Health Authority are stringent on these rules, with a few options for now. The locals as usual show a nonchalent attitude, but there is very heavy finds of upto €7000 if they do not abide. That is more than some take over the bar. More about the Smoking Ban on Corfu can be found here, SMOKING ON CORFU

There we go Rick, I think I have answered all your questions as best I can. If you have anymore before you leave for Corfu, do let us know, someone will get back to you.

Yeiamas, Chris

rick-colton

Post by rick-colton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks very much Rog and Chris. Very impressive response time.

Will have a look at the websites you suggested, especially the quad bike rental. I went to Kos last year and although we really enjoyed going all around the island on the quad, when entering a small village for example i realised how noisy Quads were and felt quite embarrased and annoyed with myself that I was probably annoying the locals.

With the quad in mind what is in the inland areas which would be of interest as most of the information for the island concerns the costal areas?

Really looking forward to eating all of that lovely greek food, will put on a post when I return.

Thanks very much

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 am

The more inland you go obviously with the exception of what is described as the main roads, most will become narrower, more twisted, and in some cases unmaintained. More care will be needed, but you are right in thinking that more of the real Corfu can be seen, and this would be good opportunity to visit places of such interest. A good map will be required, and usually a hire shop will offer you such a map, if not feel free to ask them.

If you have anymore questions before setting off, let us know. We will look forward to your review and photos on your return.

Yeiamas, Chris

rick-colton

Post by rick-colton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Another question I am afraid!!! sorry

A friend of mine said that due to the bad euro to pound conversion in the uk she gets her money converted abroad and thus gets a better rate.

Is there any truth in this and is there facilities in Dassia?

Thanks again

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:29 pm

It depends how much you are wishing to change. For example the exchange rate in the UK is around €1.12 to the GB Pound. On the island they are offering €1.14. In the UK some Bureau de Change charges commission. The Post Office and some banks (LloydsTSB for instance) do not. On Corfu, some do and some dont. Basically you will get another €2 for every £100 changed. Most travel shops in resorts will do exchanges. You can also use the ATMs, but you will be charged for useage and commission on your money, unless you have a Nationwide Flexaccount Card.

There are some companys around like the Post Office, FairFX, 1stExchange who offer a card that you can top at a better rate, commission free, which is linked to a Visa or Mastercard system, which can be used as directed.

The choice is yours really. The Pound is at fault, and not the Euro. You may find some prices have risen since last year, or before. This is in most cases the locals compensating their losses I expect. They only work 6 months of the year. In general, it is cheap, and even cheaper if you shop around like anywhere else you go.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

We have been back a month and when we went out it was 1.13 and we saw it there for 1.18. im not sure if they took commission or not , worth a try i suppose :cool: