Albania

Please feel free to talk about anything Corfu related.

Moderator: Al

APPLEJACK

Albania

Post by APPLEJACK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:59 am

I want to go to Albania with NSK,Any problems with safety

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Albania

Post by Chris » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:55 am

We visited Albania a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the visit and the experience. All trips from NSK, or other Travel Shops are well organised,
and offer a safe and enjoyable journey. I do believe NSK in Roda are charging €26 during the week, and €29 at the weekends. This includes the coach trip
to Corfu Port, the ferry journey which takes about around 1 hour, or a little more. On arrival in Albania you join an excursion, which there is a charge for,
which is around €30. This excursion is a trip to Butrint, and the ruins. The ruins are a site in itself, but the journey through the Albanian country side is
fantastic. The coach tour returns, which gives one time in the resort area of Saranda.

We witnessed no troubles. There is a larger contingency of police on view, but this is expected in a country that in reality has not long opened its doors
to the outside public. You will enjoy the trip, I am positive of that. It is very safe, and to top it all, if you are lucky, you get another stamp in your
passport. Yes, you have to take your passport.

APPLEJACK

Post by APPLEJACK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks Chris,Looking forward to the trip :good2:

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Many people go by themslves nowadays as there are a several ferries and hydofoils a day to Saranda. From there you can get a taxi with a guide, or hire a car and go by yourselves. This not only makes the day cheaper but also means you can go where you want and spend as long a time at Butrint as you desire- it is fantastic.

There is a lot of traffic between the two countries, Corfu is full of Albanian cars just now!

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 pm

I know this person Janmanessi, who is a regular visitor to Roda, hence the travel with NSK based in Roda.

I would have thought, as much as it is a good option, that travelling by oneself, hiring a car, would be significantly more expensive
than that which is being charge by NSK.

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:50 pm

you may be right Chris although as car hire is only about 35 Euros per day in Corfu it may be cheaper in Saranda (petrol certainly is!) but if split between a family of four a self drive car or a taxi would work out cheaper i think, but the big plus is the time you can spend at Butrint, and also being able to explore up to Argyrocastro if so wished. You can also get a public bus to Butrint from Saranda nowadays.

I see that you think Albania has not been open for long (I too have to remind myself sometimes how long ago something happened which to me seems very recent)....in fact it it 21 years since I went on the first tourist excursion to go there, and many of the Albanian tourists here now never knew the restrictions of the old regime, and often ask me questions about what it was like then- when we had the searchlight, and refugees swimming over- for them it is history! Time flies, doesn't it!