Hi I'm new here...

Ask a question regarding Gouvia or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

sharonbee

Hi I'm new here...

Post by sharonbee » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here,
My name is Sharon and my reason for joining the forum is that me and my husband are going to the "Louis Corcyra Beach" hotel in Gouvia next june and would love to hear from anyone who has been.
Sharon

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Hi I'm new here...

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi Sharonbee.

Firstly, I have moved your posts including the Louis Corcyra post to this forum for a better response, and to view more information already published in this forum. Check out the thread for Gouvia Links, which will direct you to many things to do whilst in Gouvia, and links to your accommodation.

I will get back to you tomorrow with a more in depth response on Gouvia. If you have any questions in the meantime, please do get back to me.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Becky , welcome to the site ,ive never been to Gouvia before . we are going to kassiopi this year been twice before and last year we went to Agios Gordios which was ok but i wouldnt personally go back, although i know many people like it a lot, wasnt anything wrong with it . just dunno , you know when somewhere just doesnt do it for you , enjoy the site x Susie x :cool: :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi Becky.

Firslty welcome to the Holiday Corfu Forum. Always glad to have new members, in particular those who have been to Corfu before. I am specially pleased that you are a fellow Gouvian/Kontokalian. Both these resorts being so close to each other, we have been a few times ourselves. I have not been for one or two years because of ill health, but I am always to within a degree up to date with information.

Thank you for your pictorial review of the Louis Corcyra. We would like to hear more of your past stays and holidays when you have time, and indeed to see any photos that you would be kind enough to upload to the Gallery.

When you have stayed in Gouvia, have visited Kontokali and Corfu Town. It is highly recommended to do both. Kontokali is a much quieter village than Gouvia (which is not a complaint), but an alternative, however there is a great bar in the village called G&Ms, may I say well worth a visit. Corfu Town is a must, only being around a €1 each way on the No7 Blue Bus.

Look forward to hearing more from you soon, and feel free to ask anything of me or any other member.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Becky.

I know what you saying when it comes to children, once they are set in their ways, they are frightened of missing something, or missing out on friends if you go out, Bless them. As a matter of interest, in Kontokali, next to the Kontokali Beach Hotel is a very nice sandy beach, where the water is safe and shallow, and recommended for the kids. Just a suggestion if you need a change from the pool.

Did you go with Captain Spiros on your boat trips. He is based at the Gouvia Marina/Pier. Wonderful family, and he cannot do enough for you. Try the Beach Barbeque trip, and the Corfu Town by Night Boat Trip. If you wish to hire your own boat (kids love it) go to Bobby's Boats in the Gouvia. You will enjoy the G&Ms Bar, Miltos the owner loves the kids, and gets them involved (he has two of his own). Another reason to walk up to Kontokali is that there is some very good family run restaurants/tavernas such as Georges, Harrys, Takis, Pippilas, Zorbas, Grecko(Fish) which in my opinion offer a more friendly and quieter service. Worth a visit. It takes about 20-30 minutes to walk it, or a couple of Euros in a taxi.

Regarding photos, if you email them to Al, the Administrator at admin@holidaycorfu.org he will upload them for you. You could also email them to me and then I can forward on. It is up to you. It would be good to see more pictures in the Gouvia section of the gallery.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:39 pm

You would have travelled along the dual carriageway from Corfu Airport/Town to Gouvia, which would have took you not through but skirting Kontokali. You would have passed the Greckos Restaurant, AB Supermarkt, Telesilla Hotel etc. The road you walked along from Gouvia to the marina, is the road to Kontokali which runs parallel with the dual carriageway. Another 5 or so you would have been in Kontokali, which is recognised by it brilliant white church opposite Harrys Taverna. It is well worth an evening visit for a different place to eat and be entertained, plus it would be cooler in the evening for the kids.

I would expect that the boat trip you did would be the same Spiros or his son who is Spiros as well. We just call him Captain Spiros. He is a character, and has a great knack of getting everyone involved. As I said earlier, check his other trips out. You must also visit Corfu Town. Get the Blue Bus from the corner of the road leading out onto the dual carriageway. The bus stop will be on the other side. Leave about 5pm, this allows the kids to have their pool day. The kids will love the bus ride, all sorts get on them. And it is only €1 or so each. Spend the early evening shopping, looking around the alleyways and lanes, and then choose from the many restaurants in Corfu Town. Then head out onto the Liston for a nice coole drink, coffee and just watch the world go by. The last bus back is around 10pm, but a taxi will only be about €12-€15 for all of you. When you get off the bus at San Roco Square, walk down the main road, to the bottom until you come to the alley ways. Follow the rest really.

Look forward to the pictures, at your convenience.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Becky.

It was about €15 per head the last time we went, so I would say it would be around €20 now, kids a bit cheaper. Sounds expensive I know, but you do have a great time. Leaving Gouvia, Captain Spiros heads up the east coast, to the North East stopping on the way in beautiful coves for a swim, where you can actually swim into caves. It is brilliant. A guided tour of the coast on the way up, eventually arriving at a secluded beach, where the boat ties up alongside a pier. Captain Spiros and his family set up a BBQ of Chicken, Sausages, Salads, Sauces and Bread, with copious amounts of wine, and of course fruit juice for the kids. Some hours later, you set off again, heading south back towards Gouvia, whereby Captain Spiros gets everyone to join in games, water fights, Karaoke, etc, again stopping off for a swim on the way back. The boat arrives back at around 7pm. Usually a mini bus is provided to get you back to your accommodation, but I have to say we were so close we walked back. I think you can get back into the Louis Corcyra from the beach anyway. If you book direct with Captain Spiros, you will get it cheaper than the Tourist Shops or Reps.

Look forward to seeing the photos.

Yeiamas, Chris

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi All

Just to let you know that minder555 has uploaded some photos to the *> Gouvia Gallery <*

Thank you Becky :grin:

Enjoy

Al :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Great fun photos Becky. More guts than me riding the doughnuts. Hope to see more soon, now you have the knack. If there is anything else you need to know about Gouvia or Kontokali, do not hesitate to ask.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:11 pm

INFORMATION FOR BECKY (MINDER555)

Boat Trips from Kontokali/Gouvia with Captain Spiros

http://www.holidaycorfu.org/pic/captain.jpg

There are two boat trips well worth taking during your stay in Kontokali. Both trips run from the small pier by the Gouvia Beach. Your Captain of the boat is Captain Spiros, a very jovial and friendly man who cannot do enough for you on the two trips. Through prior arrangements, it is possible to organise your own trip with Captain Spiros. The first trip is Corfu by Night, and evening cruise to Corfu Town. Enjoy the views of the Historic town, the Forts and Mouse Island. A stop off at Corfu Town allows enough time to shop until you drop, and a bite to eat. The trip is normally on a Friday evening, and costs approximately 11 Euros. Captain Spiros will offer a much cheaper price if you speak to him. He can be found on his boat, at the Aleka ( a relative of the owners), or in the local bike hire shop, or contact him through the grocery store in Kontokali. Everyone in the village knows Captain Spiros.

The second boat trip is the Beach BBQ. Captain Spiros will take you to a secluded beach up to the North East of the island pass many points of interest including the White House where the Durrell family use to stay, and the resorts of Kalami and Kassiopi. Spiros and the crew will cook your food on a large BBQ, with gallons of wine and soft drinks. Enjoy the views, coastline, top up your tan, and have a swim in the beautiful clear waters. The trip there and back is worth it on its own. The boat will stop off on the way back to swim in the caves along the coast. The trips take place on a Friday and Sunday leaving approx at 10am and returning about 7pm. Cost for each trip is 24 Euros. Again this could be reduces if you book direct with Captain Spiros, or as a larger group.