European Security meeting in Gouvia

Ask a question regarding Gouvia or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Daniel

European Security meeting in Gouvia

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:05 am

There will be quite a bit of activity around Gouvia towards the end of June. Be prepared for delays if you must drive past or through Gouvia.

The weekend of June 27-28 the Foreign Ministers of the 56 member states of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) have an informal meeting at the Corfu Imperial hotel in Gouvia. Greece is chairing the OSCE this year.

This will somewhat compensate for lower numbers of tourists. No doubt some will use the opportunity and stay a bit longer.

Additional information from a press conference given by Ms. Bakoyannis, the Foreign Minister of Greece.
There will be some 60 Foreign Ministers – each with at least a three-person team; each Foreign Minister can bring as many associates as they want. For example, the U.S. Secretary of State will come with over 90 persons. We will take corresponding security measures.
Our working estimate is that 300 press correspondents will come to Corfu. All together we we estimate that about 1,000 people will come.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: European Security meeting in Gouvia

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Hilary Clinton being on of them, and of course as you said, her huge enterage. I notice they are out on the peninsular virtually.

Yeiamas, Chris

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes, but Hilary herself will be staying with friends..... the Rothchild's.
How I know? Well...also from friends. No, noth them.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:14 pm

That does not surprise me now you mention it. Sort of friends we would all like I suppose in one way or another.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm

Hilary Clinton will now not be staying with anyone on Corfu as she is now not attending the OSCE Summitt on Corfu. This is due to a recent injury and operation to her elbow. Under Secretary of State, William Burns will be leading the American contingent.

Oh dear, how sad.

Yeiamas, Chris

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Well, two days of high security are over. The road from the airport to Komeno was closed several times, causing congestion elswhere.
Hundreds of police along the entire strech and helicopters flying over it. Navy ships on both side of the Komeno peninsula.

By Sunday 10pm it was all over, everything back to normal.
Last edited by Daniel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:59 pm

I would imagine the people and visitors of Gouvia and surrounding areas are pleased. Did it bring a lot of revenue for Gouvia, does anyone know.

Yeiamas, Chris