Hi im back from Kassiopi

Ask a question regarding Kassiopi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hi im back from Kassiopi

Post by mitera » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi, back from kassiopi last night , enjoyed it except for the thunder storms and torrential rain most days the second week :sad: , although it did tend to clear after lunch, but not the weather you expect in June . anyway the resort was quieter apart from some of the bars in the square that made a terrible racket each night competing in the noise level of some horrid music ( to my ears ) i have to admit , but they say thats what we want so they do it :shock: and the worst part is they are the busiest bars , far busier than the more traditional places with Greek music, prices well ..i thought they were expensive in some places . not every where , ouzo and fanta lemon 3 euros unless we went to the kafenion 1. 50 euros , martini 4 50 euros :shock: and it tasted of weak lemomade , Greek salad 5 to 6 50 euros . which i think is very expensive and dont think its the euro at all . chefs salad between 6 and 7 50 , most main meals around 8 euros upwards , paid 12 50 for giouvetsi but it was nice , went to an Italian which was very expensive .. for three people. one course and some house wine and |Greek salad 65 euros , was nice though , then found another Italian with two courses for 8 euros , coke 2 euros , only pay a pound at home in a bar and coffee 2 80 . kumquat staggering 3 50 euros for the local drink. but i chose to drink it so .... harbour as beautiful as ever but did find the square a bit too much at times . youngsters on scooters with bottles of beer in their hands screaming .. oh god i must be getting old and boring and they were British , my favourite was Sousouro , traditional .. wonderful food great staff retsina fab , good prices and portions .. as is why ive put on so much weight :oops: Lofos Apartments were wonderful views outstanding , Pepitsa and Spiros lovely hosts and Kramella on the bar was realy nice , ... Petrinos as always was good bit dearer this year i thought , we had 2 starters 3 main meals of two chicken souvlaki and one grilled chicken a Greek salad and half karaffe house wine , was 58 euros , will i go back ???????? one day i will ,so all in all mixed feelings .. loved Ag Stefanos , small and is more my thing, as they say different strokes for different folks , still love the place , for some reason i got eaten alive during the day mozzies i think and always used my stuff never normally get bitten have sweet blood i was told :lol: oh and the web cam ... ermm sorry if anyone saw me lol xx

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Hi im back from Kassiopi

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Mitera

It sounds as if you enjoyed it in general.

I try not to compare one holiday with another as I would then be disatisfied with it. To me each one is a new experience and how we deal with the problems is what makes the holiday.

Glad it went OK.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 pm

Nice to see you back Susie, and many thanks for your review. It is a reported fact that some resorts and their restaurant and taverna owners have been putting up prices to compensate for the lack of visitors, which is down by about 15%. In fact the Greek Tourist Board are not too happy about, or so they say. However, you proved a point that I and others recommend always. It is cheaper to eat and drink where the locals eat and drink. The difference in price for an Ouzo and Fanta just proves it. In my opinion, everywhere, you stay in town where the main hub is, and you will pay for it.

It does not sound too good with the kids on scooters, boozing up around the town does it. Bruce will sort them out next month. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeiamas, Chris

Alecko

Post by Alecko » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Welcome back Susie, thanks for the review. Its a good job that I am not a spirit drinker looking at the prices that you have quoted. :lol: We are going in September for a month and this year will be our 30th. year so I know the places to eat and drink and the places to avoid. I have never been ripped off in Kassiopi although I have had meals which didn't come up to expectations so you don't go back again.

Like you, we like Sousouro and there is another similar one called Koutoukaki which only opened last year it is just before you get to Petrinos walking from the square. It is not much to look at but is always full of locals so it can't be bad. I am a Mythos drinker myself and last year paid €2, €2.5, and €3 depending on which bar. I like wine with meals and always drink the house wine which I found in most places is quite palatable. The cheapest we found last year was €6.00 a litre in the Charcoal Grill, another favourite of ours.

Pleased to see that you liked the Lofus apts., I know lots of people who have stayed there and never a bad word. I fancied them myself but couldn't handle the hill leading up to them as I have a dodgy knee.

Alec.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:04 am

Hi, Aleck ,thanks for your comments , i love kassiopi of course , and i know the place Koutoukaki but unfortunatley it only served drinks this time we were there , i was looking forward to trying it , the chef is ill and there is a notice up to say sorry so .. maybe next time .. a couple of my favourite shops have closed the wee shop under the harbour bar .. under the arch way , and Mania a realy nice gift shop which koutoukaki is now in , a nice book shop has now opened i was in there each day , c ds and books but nice things to look at , i like the kourtaki retsina which is getting harder to get there , they sell the green bottle which i was told was better and i dont like ..erm.. was 1 20 euros in the supermarket at least the kourtaki was 1 40 :lol: so not true ha ha , Lofos was nice the hill .. not so bad , after a few ..nice owners , im not really saying i was ripped off . but if you consider some places can do it for half the price of others .. well makes you wonder , and especialy if the food is nice when half the price . i just dont want to see corfu go down the tubes, and it was quiet which i dont mind as i hate busy places , but it isnt good for the owners so .. we will see what happens have a good hols when you next go .Susie :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 am

It has been further reported, thus clarifying it is happening, that some owners of resort facilities are and have increased their prices. Now I am not saying this is wrong, far from it, as there is a severe drop in visitor numbers, in particular from the UK, but all over Europe, the owners do have to compensate, and make their money up, to see them through the winter months. Some might say this is not our fault, so why should we pay the difference. In that case we could say the same across the globe, and no more so than in our own country. I have seen our shopping bill go up fortnightly, and sometimes weekly on many items. The recession is not directly our fault, but we have to pay for it. The same goes in Corfu and other holiday destinations. Another thing also, the main reasons as to why spirits are expensive, is because like most countries, Greece has to import a lot of them. My policy, drink and eat local produce in local facilties, used by the local people and you have local prices.

On a happier note, it has been reported that numbers for June, altough still down on previous years, did increase in comparison to May. Hopefully this trend will continue as the season progresses.

Yeiamas, Chris