New to Corfu, going to Avlaki

Ask a question regarding Kassiopi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Karen

New to Corfu, going to Avlaki

Post by Karen » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 am

Hi everyone!

I am in the very fortunate position to be being taken on holiday by my mother in law and she has booked James Villa appartments in Avlaki. None of us have ever been to Corfu (in fact this will be my first time abroad - not counting day trips to France!)

I was impressed by your forums and they seem to be pretty active. We are off on Monday 31st May - not long now! Was wondering if anyone can tell us about this area; good places to eat, places to avoid, day trips out and the all important local prices!

Many thanks
Karen

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New to Corfu, going to Avlaki

Post by Chris » Tue May 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi Karen, Firstly welcome to the Holiday Corfu Forum. Secondly, I have moved your post to this forum, adding Avlaki to the main title so as to build up a mixed forum in and around that area. Avlaki is situated on the North East coast of Corfu, nestling between to wonderful beach resorts of Kassiopi, 2-3km north of Avlaki, and Kalami, some 4km to the south. It is a horse shoe shaped bay, with at least two Tavernas/Restaurants situated on the beach, one being the Cava Barbera, which comes well recommended. The beach which is pebbly, also offers Boat Hire, so you can set sail yourselves, and spend the day in Kassiopi or Kalami, or other resorts along the North East coast. The beach is quiet, and invariably only used by those staying in Avlaki. Sunshades and Sunbeds can be hired on the beach. On the way to Kassiopi, which is about a 30 minute walk, with a slight hill enroute, you will find the Michael Angleo bar which offers a deserving drink. The bar also holds the must go Greek Night, where for a one off price per head, one is treated to a Meze of meals, as much drinks as you like, dancing and a Greek cabaret. An absolutely brilliant night for all the family.

I will do some more searching for you on Avlaki, but if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me. In the mean time, please take a look through this forum section, and the one of Kalami, to get a much wider field of what is available in the area, and around Corfu.

For day trips, there are many. One can arrange excursions and trips via the local Travel Shop, either in Avlaki, Kassiopi or Kalami. Excursions can be taken to Corfu Town, this is either by coach, or better still by boat trip. Best to go by night on this one. You will have time to shop around the old lanes of Corfu Town, and have a meal. I would recommend The Rex in town. Another good day out for all the family is to Aqualand. A waterpark set in the middle of Corfu. Once in, the water world is your oyster. You can purchase food for lunches within the park, or take your own picnic. Costs for this vary from different areas of the island, I have an upto date price list for excursions which I will find out and post on here for you. Another good trip, is the BBQ Boat Trip. Here one sails off up the coast stopping off for swims here and there, eventually arriving at some secluded beach where everyone tucks into a BBQ of meats, salads, fruits, and plenty of drink for all. Another recommended day trip is take a coach to Corfu Town, then by boat to Paxos, and island south of Corfu, and then across to the mainland of Greece, and the town of Parga. This is an early start, arriving back about 9pm. There are many more to choose from.

I hope this helps for now

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Theres nothing like insider knowledge - thank you very much Chris.

We did wonder if it was near Kassiopi as our directions from the airport tell us to head in that direction - but who can tell with directions! We tried looking on Google maps for Avlaki and it put us some distance in the water, we would be a bit shrivelled by the time we came back if that were the case!

I shall certainly be printing your recommendations off and taking them with us; and look forward to extra nuggets! I have spent some time looking through the forums and they are a wealth of information and I am sure much appreciated by all. No doubt we will be back here and will let you have details of recent prices etc when we are back so that you can keep up to date.

:D Karen

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue May 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Karen, here is some information on Avlaki that maybe of interest to you, and give you an insight of what is available. Just click on the links below. Some offer maps of where Avlaki is. If you do get hold of a map of Corfu, just look for Kassiopi, and south and a little to the right, and you will see Avlaki in the horseshoe bay.

AVLAKI RESORT

AVLAKI BEACH

Not sure of what accommodation you have, but these are villas of James Villas in Avlaki:

DIMITRI VILLA

NITSA ELENI

MAP OF CORFU

Not the best of maps, but it gives you an idea of where Avlaki is. Your transfer time from the airport will be around 45mins to 1hr.