Concerned for my parents:Dental and Medical care

Ask a question regarding Kassiopi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Concerned for my parents:Dental and Medical care

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:30 pm

xex

I don't live there but I have heard the ex-pats talking about a system called something like EuroDoc. Ex-Pats have what is refered to as "Reciprocal Rights" under agreement with the British Government and all Governments within the EU. These rights may also extend to certain British Commonwealth Country's but I'm unsure about this.

I was a Civil Servant until January this year so I am certain about the EU arrangements.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:24 pm

The following is taken from the Department of Health and NHS Websites:

Living in Greece

If you're receiving a UK state pension, or in receipt of long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for an E121, which you should then present to the Greek health authorities. However, if you move to Greece to live but not work and do not receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare cover, paid for by the UK. In this case, you will need to apply for an E106.

How to register your E121 or E106

In both cases, you will need to contact your local IKA office that will register your E121/E106. Once the registration is completed, they will issue you an IKA health booklet, which is your entitlement to healthcare in Greece.

Where to get information while in Greece
The Greek social security institute (IKA-ETAM) will be able to provide information.

IKA-ETAM
Odos Agiou Konstantinou 8
Athens
Greece

Telephone: 0030 21 5200 555 -64 or -184

Information is also available online from IKA-ETAM’s website. Here you can find contact details of IKA-ETAM’s local offices that cover all Greek regions. Their website is listed below:

IKA FORUM

I think you will find that the EHIC Card (The old E111) is only valid when on holiday or visiting Europe or Switzerland, and not if you reside in Europe.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Chris

My experience of the E121 is that they are not worth the paper they are written on. In the early years we always took one with us but didn't have the need to use it. Then one year I had forgotten some medication and Spiro called the local Doctor from Paleocastritsa. I presented him with the form and he just laughed then tore it up.

He said to me it will be £5 for my visit and here is the prescription for the medication (four lots of tablets). He also gave me a form for the Insurance people. In the end it cost me a grand total £12, including Doctors visit, for the medication. I also learnt that many of the "Prescription Only" drugs we buy here in the UK can be obtained openly over the counter in Greece so, I didn't even need the Doctor.

Moral of the story check at the Pharmacy for availability of drugs before consulting a Doctor.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Very true Roger, and I have to agree. However, that information came from their website so I suppose one has to begin somewhere.

Of course, I have the added bonus of Elaine being a Pharmacist Technician, and as proven in the past she will recognise what is normal a prescription drug if it is being sold over the counter, which as you have already said, can save you money.

I always make sure I take enough with me just in case, and the prescription copies to show if necessary.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Chris

The trouble is our Government think they are being so considerate publishing these forms but they don't recognise that people in other countries have no faith in them.

It's a bit like our currency, we have had incidents where the Corfiote shops will take US Dollars but not Sterling even tho' the UK Puound is stronger than the Dollar.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 pm

xex

Regarding the car why not suggest they Hire one so that they can get a feel for what type of vehicle might be best suited for their usage.

Rog