High Whirlwind in Lefkimmi

Ask a question regarding Kavos or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

High Whirlwind in Lefkimmi

Post by Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:43 pm

The following news article was taken from the online Greek/English newspaper, "The Corfu Today", dated 25th November 2008.

WHIRLWIND HITS LEFKIMMI

Tornado swept over everything in Lefkimmi this morning, causing extensive damage. Trees were uprooted, roofs of houses and other buildings fell, even a cemetery did not escape the fury of the elements of nature.
The Prefect Steph Poulimenou rushed to the area with collaborators in order to learn about the magnitude of disasters.
Serious damage has been the network of DEI, for the restoration of which rushed past 14 technicians in the region.
The force of the whirlwind left almost nothing standing by the St. Gordio Dragotinon to the port of Lefkimi. More than ten columns of PPC fell 2-3.000 olive trees were uprooted, while large losses suffered by the Sacred Temple of Taxiarxes in Dragotina. Losses suffered by mill and the house of legislation. A caravan of a British owner was at least 4 km from its stationary position. Any effort to address the serious problems that have occurred since the first time teams of the municipality headed by Mr. Kouri (the mayor is absent for the conference of KEDKE). Also assisting, was the fire crews, the Ministry of ELAS and residents, particularly youth in the region.

If any of our members living in or near the region in this story can give any facts on this, and photos if available, the forum will be very appreciative. I have been reading about the storms and seeing pictures on other forums. Hope everyone is safe.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: High Whirlwind in Lefkimmi

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:16 pm

The follow article is an update taken from the online Greek/English newspaper, "The Corfu Today", dated, 27th November 2008.

The Whirlwind of Lefkimmi

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Vp2ED7IXgQY/S ... C05207.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Vp2ED7IXgQY/S ... C05131.JPG

Tornado swept everything Lefkimmi in the morning, causing extensive damage. Trees were uprooted, roofs of houses and kolonnes DEI fell rummage vessels, even a cemetery not escape the fury of the elements of nature.
In the area rushed noon the Prefect Steph. POULIMENOU, with collaborators in order to learn about the magnitude of disasters. Serious damage has been the network of DEI, for the restoration of which rushed past 14 technicians in the region. The force of anemostrovilou not left almost nothing standing by the St. Gordio Dragotinon to the port of Lefkimi. More than ten columns of PPC fell 2-3.000 olive trees were uprooted, while large losses suffered by the Sacred Temple of Taxiarxes in Dragotina. Losses suffered by mill and the house of legislation. συμβούλου Εφης Κάντα. Efi Kanta adviser. A caravan of a British misled at least 4 km from the point was stationary. Any effort to address the serious problems that have occurred since the first time teams of the municipality headed by Mr. Kouri (the mayor is absent for the conference of KEDKE). Also have assisted the fire crews, the Ministry of ELAS and residents, particularly youth in the region.

The story has not changed much, but the pictures show in some detail the damage caused by the Whirlwind.

Yeiamas, Chris

trevorlimelight

Post by trevorlimelight » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:50 pm

hi
it was my house that was in the path of the tornado and my caravan that you refer too ! i will get you some photos up
trev

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Dare I say, how spooky. Yes please Trev, if you do not mind being reminded. I can remember reading the stories and the follow up news.

Yeiamas, Chris