Messonghi Road and Pedestrian Works

Ask a question regarding Messonghi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Messonghi Road and Pedestrian Works

Post by Chris » Sun May 31, 2009 12:45 pm

The following news article is taken from the online Greek & English newspaper, dated Sunday 31st May 2009. More work completed to enhance the pedestrian and vehicular access to Messonghi without having technical obstructions such as traffic lights. Looks good anyway.

Yeiamas, Chris

Completed projects on the site of Messoghi

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Vp2ED7IXgQY/S ... le.com.jpg

The work of the traffic hub of Messonghi completed a few days before had the opportunity to seen up close by the Prefect Stefanos Corfu Poulimenos and Antinomarchis Costas Lessis. This is an additional project that enhances the safety for pedestrians and vehicles in the region. The project was financed from own resources and was incorporated in the Technical Program of the Prefecture. This is the third largest circulation hub that has been built in the Prefecture of the provincial road without using traffic lights, the two other traffic hubs built in Triple-junction and cross Afrata St. John - Pelekas.

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Messonghi Road and Pedestrian Works

Post by Al » Sun May 31, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the update Chris,

I have to say that the junction pictured above at the bottom of Moraitika leading into messonghi was a really bad
junction and the scene of many accidents between scooters, bikes and cars, it was also bad to cross on foot as you never knew if any vehicle would stop for you even on the zebra crossing :shock:

But looking at the image it looks like this round-a-bout will be a vast improvement safety for the pedestrians and vehicles alike.

I Would like to see a few more images of the junction from different directions if anyone one has any.

Don't forget you can upload you holiday Images to the "Corfu Gallery 2009" if you would care to share your happy holiday
snaps so others can view a good insight to various locations in Corfu.

Regards

Al :cool:

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:02 am

Hi Linda

So they have done the road improvements but not put any signs or road markings that is just crazy, as you say with the traffic coming from lefkimmi I remember they used to whiz around that bend.

We got stuck on the Island on the zebra crossing and we counted 27 cars a 8 coaches/buses came around before we could get across, I was even tempted to go back across the road to get a drink from the supermarket while we were waiting.

I hope they do get around to adding stop signs and road markings soon or there could be a few accidents.

Regards

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 am

This may sound a stupid question, but it there not a Greek Highway Code. I refer to the ruling on roundabouts, such as priority from the right or left, etc. Perhaps once the new layout has been used for a while, traffic may realise their priorities. I did think a few stop/give way signs would have been appropriate.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Dare I say it, obviously the Prefecture has not completed their work yet as described in the news report. In any country, a roundabout without the white lines, to stop or giveway, is useless to all traffic. Everyone thinks they have the right of way.

Perhaps it should be brought to someones attention.

Yeiamas, Chris

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi All
This may sound a stupid question, but it there not a Greek Highway Code
I thought it was a case in Corfu, that if you get there first you go,
If you get there second you go and if you get there third you go :lol: :shock: :lol:

Hi bruceandmaria, there is a Roundabout like that in Swindon also Called the Magic Round-a-bout

See Below >>

http://www.holidaycorfu.org/pic/magic.jpg

Not as good looking as the one in Hemel Hempstead with the river going through the middle, the one in Swindon is hell to get around, traffic flying at you from all directions :shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

All the Best

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Al, you could probably fit Messonghi on that roundabout, then the road becomes a bye-pass. I have not been on the one you show, but have been on the one at Hemel, twice now, the first time was hair raising to say the least, but made it.

Yeiamas, Chris