Messonghi 1984

Ask a question regarding Messonghi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Bev

Messonghi 1984

Post by Bev » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi All

I stumbled across this site whilst reminiscing about my time in Messonghi back in 1984. Reading all your comments has brought back some fantastic memories. I originally went there in 1983 for a holiday and loved it so much that the following year I packed in my job and went back for the whole summer, with a couple of friends. I imagine it has changed drastically in that time. There used to be a disco in Messonghi village called 'The Limbo' and I remember 'The Scorpion' in Moraitika. There was also a bar called 'Tastebuds' that was always packed.

I read in one of the topics about a restaurant called Harry and Georges. Does anyone know if they are Harris and George Avlianos. They are brothers and George would be 44 now, Harry a couple of years older. If anyone remembers Messonghi from back then, it would be lovely to hear their stories.

Bev

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Messonghi 1984

Post by Al » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi Bev

Welcome to the Corfu web site & forums :dup:

We had our honeymoon in Messonghi July 11th 1987, we stayed at the "Apartment Macos", just after the really bad bend going towards psara again just after "Annabella's Cocktail bar" and yes I remember the Disco Limbo very well it was on the corner of the crossroads it is now the "AQUARIUS hotel Apartments" and just around the corner heading to psara was a cocktail bar I cant remember what it was called then but it changed it's name to "Extreme"

The following year we returned and we stayed at the "Yannis Loulass" on the right just after the fisherman's haunt, and boy did we ever have some fun there, this was way before any real health and safety rules kicked in, you would be sat quiet after the greek night having drinks and the next thing you were being thrown in the pool fully clothed :shock: it was really funny because when you woke up next morning of course missing breakfast, but when you went out by the pool you bumped into every collecting there clothing from the night before, and all the kids in the pool with mask & snorkel swimming to get all the coins that fell out of our pockets.

We did have some photos somewhere of the disco limbo, I will try to find them and scan them and put them on the site.

I'm sure Harry & George are still there, although did not see them last time we were there.

We fell in love with messonghi and have been going back ever since, sadly not this year due to commitments

Best Regards

Al :cool:

Bev

Post by Bev » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Al

Thank you for responding. It would be lovely to see your photos if possible. I would love to go back to Messonghi but I don't know if it would be suitable for children (my youngest is 10). Maybe one day when they are older. Are there any water parks on the island now?

Bev

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Hiya Bev

I will try to get into the loft over the weekend, it will be nice to see the pictures again and good to put up on the site.

We started taking our children when they were one year old, now Abigail is 13 and Isabelle is 9 and they both cant wait until we go back to Corfu, they both have fell in love with Corfu as we have.

Corfu has two water parks now, * Aqualand * being the larger of the two
the other is located Sidari way I think not 100% sure.

Aqualand is very good a I would say a recommended place to visit for Children of ALL ages, with lots of different slides
and a good selection of children's slides and play areas & a large wave pool.
If you visit after 15-00 you get discount on your entry fee, and there is still plenty of time to go on all the slides etc..

When you were there where did you stay ? I take it when you stayed all summer you found a job there ?

Regards

Bev

Post by Bev » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi Al

When we first went there we stayed in the Roulis Apartments up the hill (west). When we went back the following year for the summer we rented a room with a shared kitchen right in the centre of the village. It didn't have a name as such as it was a private property, but I remember is was No 46.

We also worked in the Limbo Disco for a while collecting and washing glasses in return for free drinks. I remember my friend and I getting the disco ready for opening night. We had to scrub the floors with brillo pads, which took the skin off our hands, but you do silly things when you're young. Before we left England we saved like mad, so that we would have enough to see us through and back then it was really cheap to eat and drink in Corfu, so we managed.

Thanks for the info on the waterparks. It might be time to have another visit.

Bev

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:17 pm

Hiya Kirky

I remember "Annabella's Cocktail" in the winding lane on the way to pasara, it used to be such a nice cocktail bar
under the palm trees and with the little ponds all over the place,, we used to spend many a night there, I remember having one too many cocktails and trying to get out of Annabella's without falling in one of the ponds... :shock:

Sadly it closed down, and nothing has been done to it as of last year, it was in a real sorry state, but we always look at it with fond memories as we walk pass to get to messonghi or moraitika.

I am in the process of locating some old pictures to scan and upload to the site of messonghi and I'm sure there is some of Annabella's because I know we have some when the our mother and father in law came with us and he nearly fell in the ponds.....that was a very funny night :lol: :lol:

Regards

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi Kirky

Good to hear from you :grin:

Sadly as you say now distant memories but memories that will stay close to your heart forever!!
and the same for me.

We were unable to return this year but like you we are planning to go next year all being well.
Kirky wrote:No doubt i will be posting new updates on this site soon.
Would be good to see & hear from you again, :dup:

Take Care

Bev

Post by Bev » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Kirky

Was 'Tastebuds' still there when you were out there? It was right on the crossroads and very popular.

Bev

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 am

Hi

I have to be honest but I can't picture ""Tastebuds"" :?:

Cheers

Al

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 am

Hello Petro

I remember the Disco Limbo very well, with the big tree in the middle, my wife and I and of course a
large number of friends partied there many times !!
I will have to dig out our old photo's from the loft as I'm sure I have a few Images.

Disco Limbo was located at the cross roads in messonghi village in the complex which is now
Aquarius Aparthotel, to which I will say is a very good place to stay, it's in a great location, the rooms are very clean
and it also has a very nice freshwater swimming pool.

I think we will have to attend the reunion in 2013 :dup: drinks :dup:

Regards

Al :comp:

P.S. Petro, I edited your Image url, the address was broke and the Image was not showing, ok now.

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Caroline7

I also remember the places you mention and one of our favourite hang outs was "Annabella cocktail bar" we always used to end up there
after eating in Moraitika or messonghi making our way back to where we stayed then was Yiannis Loulass and still stay to this day but now called
the "Loulass Village Aparthotel"

I Annabella cocktail bar why oh why did they put so many little ponds all over the place :shock: many a night I left with soaking wet feet
and a few times nearly completely soaked, after a while I used to leave my flip flops or shoes by the entrance and walk around bare feet.
One year we took my wife's mum and dad back to Annabella cocktail bar and before we could say anything about the ponds,,, to late they both walked through them to our amusement, and we still laugh about it today when we visit them.

Good times :dup: drinks :suun: drinks :dup:

Cheers

Al :comp: