Mozzies

Ask a question regarding Messonghi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Trish44

Mozzies

Post by Trish44 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 pm

As these little "devils" love me I need to know if they will still be about in late September early October. Last time I went to Corfu it was in June and I got bitten to death. Made me feel quite ill.

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Mozzies

Post by Etsiketsi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Trish

I feel sorry for you. I have been going to Corfu for twentythree years and have only been bitten once.

You should be alright in late September as we find we are in early September (in general) there are some around but not many.

Rog

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Im the same , i was bitten to pieces this June, i never ever get bitten but for some reason this year i did , and it was through the day , i put on autan and suntan lotion with insect repellent as well , they bit me on my legs about 8 on each. they were huge and they went really hard and red , yuk :sad: :sad:

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi Trish44

There will be a few still loitering around for the chance of a human meal , but providing you
spray your self with Autan or similar when you go out and use an electric "Bugger" (what we call them) in your room on an evening you should be ok,,,, but I cant promise that

Have a look here > * The Dreaded Mosquitoes *

All the best

Al :cool:

Trish44

Post by Trish44 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks all for those replies. Al, I have read your link re mozzies.Last time I came to Corfu I used the repellant, had a plug-in in the room, and also ate Marmite on my toast for about 2 weeks before I came ( read somewhere that Marmite helps) didn't stop them eating me alive. Wonder if it was all the alcohol in my body that attracted them???? Did joke that there must be a lot of drunken mozzies about!!!
It was the same in Ibiza, got bitten to death. On our return flight home someone asked me, at the airport, if I had Chicken Pox, my back and arms were smothered with bites.
Will just have to hope that most of them will have gone away by September. Am going to take some antihistomane (can't spell that) tablets with me this time, just in case.
Only 10 weeks yesterday to go until the hols, can't wait.
This is a really good site and I love looking at all your comments

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:24 pm

As many have read before, I swear by the Marmite idea. I am always eating it, and continue to do so when on holiday. So far I have not been bitten on any holiday in Corfu, or other Greece or Spain holidays. Another of my self remedies is to drink lots of Tonic Water, which has Quinine as an ingredient, which in turn is an anti malarial component, and is hated by the mozzie. There is quite a strong one I have with my Gin or Ouzo which is sold on Corfu, but I cannot remember the name. However, most brands will suffice.

My partner Elaine is a Pharmacist Technician and recommends any repellent which has a Deet component, the higher the better. The make called Ben's is very good which has a Deet content of 8 - 10, one of the highest.

It is also recommended that ladies use scents and deodorants with a lesser perfume content. The fragrance attract the mozzies, hence why in most cases women get bitten more. Try and use a more odourless perfume and such.

A good idea is to have a Citrus scented candle on your table. This helps a lot.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I leave my perfume at home ,i use shampoo and deodorant ,with no perfume at all when im there , i use plug ins at night douse my self in eau, de autan and spray each room before i go out in fact I can hardly breath god nows how the little blighters can :lol: but .. this year they still got me , and as i said it was in the morning when i walked to the bakery for the rolls in fact i still have the marks on my legs :sad: :sad:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Another good idea, as long as not noticed by the accommodation owners, :wink: :lol: :wink: , have the AC up as high as you can, as the blighters do not like the cold. This is of course if you can handle the cold yourself. A lesser aggressive method, and if you are not using for anything else is to have the fridge open, with a fan in front of it to circulate the cold air.

As I said, they do not bother me, probably because I have had malaria in the 80s, but anything is worth a try.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:44 pm

A Greek guy said they like me so i must have sweet blood , eeeeeeeeeyuch :oops:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 pm