- VIP Member
- Posts: 811
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:00 am
- Location: Bristol, UK
On a precipitous rocky peak dominating a wide range of coastline around Palaeocastritsa stand crumbling walls and battlements of the twelfth-century Byzantine Fortress of Angelocastro, not far from the village of Krini. Past ruined postern gate, within the interior and the fortress, the remains of walls, buildings and battlements lie scattered over the rocky platform. When the Republican French occupied Corfu from 1797 to 1799, the fortress was probably used by the military as a lookout post for ships. Later, under the Imperial French, Angelocastro was used as a semaphore station. During the British Protectorate the fortress was completely abandoned and left to gradual disintegration and ruin.
There is a story that the women of Lakones and Krini in an attempt to save their children from marauding Pirates jumped into the bowels of fortress killing them and all of their children.
The fortification is being restored at this time to it's original status.
- VIP Member
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:00 am
- Location: BOURNEMOUTH. DORSET
Great news DCV. Anyone visiting Paleokastritsa, or indeed the Angelocastro, the Forum would be more than happy to see an up to date personal review of what it is like now, and some photographs for the gallery. Great to hear it has reopened again.
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/phot ... 489227.jpg
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest