Snorkeling off Roda

Ask a question regarding Roda or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Snorkeling off Roda

Post by DaveD » Mon May 23, 2011 8:34 pm

he1p Hi there. This is our first trip to Corfu and we will be staying at Roda in September. Last year I took some lovely underwater video off Katelios, Kefalonia. What we need to know is are there any small boats for hire in Roda? The best snorkeling and video footage is usually taken from remote secluded beaches, providing the wife does'nt swim in the way :wink: . My next question is where to eat traditional Kleftico. The best Kleftiko was served to us on Cyprus in 2001. Kleftiko needs to be cooked in a clay oven all day. Is there a taverna which can serve this wonderful Greek dish in Roda? If so I need to know as we have been waiting for ten years to find an equal. Next question is we are having to holiday 'bed and breakfast' usually we go self catering. Will the Pegasus Hotel have tea making facilities or should I pack my Greek electric kettle? Well only fifteen weeks to wait hopefully plenty of time for the volcano to cool down, had to erupt the same day as I booked the holiday. Efharisto, kalinichta, Dave.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Snorkeling off Roda

Post by Chris » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Dave.

Do browse our Roda Links page at RODA LINKS for further information an links to other informative pages that will help you.

The following link gives more information on the PEGASUS HOTEL - RODA. I can find no evidence of tea making equipment in the rooms, although there is a Fridge/Freezer. Therefore it may be a good idea to take your travel kettle with you.

Roda is not the ideal place for snorkelling as the north side of the island has a number of stream/river outlets into the sea which negates the clarity of the water for such activities. However, if one takes a day out and travel east or west to the northeast or northwest side of the island, one can find areas good snorkelling that will satisfy most, with their crystal clear waters, coves and secluded beaches.

Roda has two boat hire operators, one at each end of the Village. A half day hire opens up the whole of the north coast of Corfu, from St. Spiridon in the east, to Canal d’Amour in the west. This area extends beyond the magnificent St George’s Bay in both directions and gives visitors a perspective of the Corfu coast that cannot be seen any other way.

The Newport Bay Taverna in Roda, or the Roof Top in Sidari are highly recommended for their Kfleftiko's. However, in my view to find the really authentic version as you described, one would have to maybe travel out of town to some small village and find a place where the locals eat. We do this often when visiting Corfu and Greek islands.

Hopefully I have given you something to go for now. If you need any further help, feel free to ask.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Snorkeling off Roda

Post by DaveD » Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks Chris for the info on the Pegasus. Glad theres a fridge and a double bed. The decor looks good and a balcony to sit and talk. Cheers Dave.