SIDARI TO CORFU GOLF CLUB

Ask a question regarding Sidari or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

patandgra

SIDARI TO CORFU GOLF CLUB

Post by patandgra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 pm

cAN ANY ONE TELL ME THE BEST ROUTE TO THE GOLF CLUB FROM SIDARI :spec:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: SIDARI TO CORFU GOLF CLUB

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Pat & Graham.
I would take the west coast heading down towards Paleokastritsa, continuing down taking the road through Ropa Valley, as if going to Agios Ioannis (the road to Corfu Town), but turn west at the bottom end of the Ropa Valley. The Golf Course is at the southern Valley. Distance from Sidari, approximtely 20km. See this link for map and further details, CORFU GOLF CLUB

patandgra

Post by patandgra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for that Chris ,i thought that might be the best route but having gone astray a few times on our travels around Corf," not that it mattered at all ",but having got a tee tme organised already i hoped someone would confirm what i thought .There is nothing worse than being the navigator when you get lost, anyway i can always blame you now "joking" :dup:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Pat and Graham,

As a matter of interest do you have a map of Corfu. I have a spare one of a very good edition. If you would like to forward your address via PM, I will forward on to you by post. Let me know.

Beastie

Post by Beastie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:40 pm

We've just booked a holiday to Corfu on May 3rd and I was hoping to play a round or two whilst there but I see there's a tournament due to be player 6th-8th. I've tried emailing the various addresses but get them returned or non replied.

Does anyone know whether this tournament is still on and if so, would I be still be able to play say, 4th and 5th May?

Really looking forward to this holiday now, it's our first time on the island...Volcano permitting....also, what sort of weather should we expect?
I've been warned it may not be too warm and could rain heavily?

Thanks
Steve:Beastie

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Beastie. Keep persevering with trying to contact the Golf Club, they will get back to you when they can. Here is the contact information I have, is it the same you have.

Corfu Golf Club
Address 1:
Ropa Valley
P.O. Box 71
Corfu 491 00
tel: +30 26610 94220
fax: +30 26610 94221
e-mail: cfugolf@hol.gr

The weather in May, like most of Europe can be hot, wet, windy, even cold sometimes. However, here is the whole month forecast for last May, which will hopefully give you some idea of what to expect. MAY 2009 WEATHER STATUS

Beastie

Post by Beastie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Yes, that's the email I have and have tried, for some reason it bounces straight back.
I've booked my golf clubs onto the flight with us now so it's fingers crossed anyway. I can't see there being a problem, certainly not with me playing the day AFTER the competition they have.

Really looking forward to this holiday now...not really a place we'd contemplated before but it was the only place that could fit our departure dates and budget.

Really need some chill time

Beastie

Post by Beastie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

Also, forgot to ask...

We're stopping in Paleokastritsa.
Is it going to be easy enough and cheap enough for us to get the Golf Course...it looks it but a map doesn't always tell the full story does it?

Thanks
Steve:Beastie

Beastie

Post by Beastie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 pm

You were right Chris, keep mailing and they will reply...they did.

I got a reply today and the competition has been cancelled so no problems for me at all now, for playing the course anyway.

Grrrrreat stuff.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:04 pm

That is good news for you Beastie. Regarding getting there. Ropa Valley where the Golf Course is situated is approximately 14km from Paleokastritsa on the road to Corfu Town. Head out of Paleokastritsa, about 3km, you come to an island. Turn right, and head to the valley as if going to Glyfadi and Pelekas. Look for the signs to Ermones, turn right to Ermones, this will take you to the Golf Course. If you are not hiring a car, check out anyone else wishing to play who is staying Paleo, and share a cab. A cab should be around €15 tops. For more information take a look at their link on CORFU GOLF CLUB

Beastie

Post by Beastie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for the help Chris, it's really appreciated

Beastie

Post by Beastie » Thu May 13, 2010 11:19 am

Chris wrote:

That is good news for you Beastie. Regarding getting there. Ropa Valley where the Golf Course is situated is approximately 14km from Paleokastritsa on the road to Corfu Town. Head out of Paleokastritsa, about 3km, you come to an island. Turn right, and head to the valley as if going to Glyfadi and Pelekas. Look for the signs to Ermones, turn right to Ermones, this will take you to the Golf Course. If you are not hiring a car, check out anyone else wishing to play who is staying Paleo, and share a cab. A cab should be around €15 tops. For more information take a look at their link on CORFU GOLF CLUB
Well, we're back now and had a wonderful time. (I'll post on the Paleo forum about that)
That 15 Euros for the cab ride to the golf course was a bit out Chris, it was 25....each way.....and we did it twice.

I don't think we were ripped off BTW, just the price of petrol over there being as high as it is...we got the bonus of the cab driver Vassilis who was a mine of information and the archivist of the museum at Lakones.

Anyway....anyone wondering whether to make the effort to go to the Golf Club, DO IT!
It's a cracking course.
Reasonable challenge for all handicap levels, very flat but with water all over the place and as long as you don't get stuck behind slow English players like we did the first time, it's a very enjoyable day.

Four and half hours to play one round sort of takes the gloss off a good day...I even ended up apologising to two German groups in front of me, saying that not all English golfers are as bad as that and they should have played us all through.

Anyway....from the lovely Georgia at the front desk to all the other staff that are so friendly, helpful and polite it was a great two days we spent at the club and we can't wait to go back now....we will hire a car next time though

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the update Beastie. Firstly, my apologies regarding the Taxi Fare. Not having made that trip myself, I estimated it on distance, but as you say, with the increase in fuel, and the two years since I last visited, it has obviously risen somewhat. I will amend my records accordingly.

The main thing, regardless of the slow players, you had a great time on the course at Ropa Valley. I can never understand why so many can be so ignorant of others on a golf course. I am not a fast player myself, but I do observe the course etiquette and waive those catching me up through, as is laid down in the rules I believe. Anyway, so glad it was to your liking, and that we helped in someway.

We look forward to your Paleokastritsa review at your convenience.