Will we be going to Greece next year?

Welcome to the Pool Side, A place to chat about anything

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Will we be going to Greece next year?

Post by DaveD » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 pm

This year was our first visit to Corfu. I noticed that the prices have crept up, quite a bit, compared with the other Greek islands we have holidayed on. Firstly the Taverna meals were about e25 for two peps where they have never been over e18 before. The 'free bees' after the meal like grapes, melon, Raki or Ouzo were sadly missing. Ciggies and cigars at local shops were more expensive than UK!! We stayed in Roda and all the prices were e2 more than at Sidari Tavernas. We had some really great meals (Roda Park, New Port) and some simply awful meals, pork slices masquerading as pork ribs, un eatable Greek pork chop. We also found that if you paid cash you got a discount on everything. The New Port does the finest Kleftico on the island, easily on a par with the benchmark Kleftico we had in Cyprus (2000) which was cooked all day in a clay oven to special order.The news today that Greece is having trouble repaying the EU loan isnt good news either. Sadly it looks like the end of value for money Greek holidays, heres hoping Im wrong. Dave.

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Will we be going to Greece next year?

Post by janmanessi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 pm

just got back from dinner- where we were offered free coffee and lemoncello.....out to lunch where we were given a free carafe of wine.......maybe you want to the wrong places! Mind you, in the current economic climate I NEVER expect them, but it is a nice surprise when offered. Cannot understand the comment re cigarettes, as still see English people buying their cartons!

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 am

I believe Jan, as you will know, there is a big difference in prices, know how, the when and whys of someone like yourself who lives on Corfu, compared to a first time visitor to the island, and to a resort that is known for its higher prices. As for the cigarette issue, if buying known brands then there really is no difference now in prices than the UK, however, if one choses to by the local brands (Leader), then the price can be significantly lower.

It took me sometime to find such local eateries as used by the Greeks and Corfiots so that I could reap the benefits that locals found. Perhaps residents of the island in such times should be advocating such places, and offering the know how so that Greece can retain its visitors in such volatile times.

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 am

actually both the places I went to yesterday were places for 'tourists' which I had not been to before, and where they did not know me at all. They were good though. As a reasonably downmarket (in the best sense of the word) resort Roda should not be expensive- had they said they were charged more in Kalami or Agios Stefanos (north east) I would definitely agree.

Cigarettes- well- look at the cartons going back to UK, they are still cheaper- even Benson and Hedges etc. which is currently 40 Euros for a carton of 200 (price given today by cigarette shop)

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Again you diverse from my comments Jan. I was not concerned with where you ate, but indicating that someone who lives on the island will know of such places compared to a first time visitor. As for Roda, again I indicated its costs and prices, which I have resourced from many who have visited Roda this season.

As for the cigarettes I can say that close friends of mine have just returned from two weeks in Acharavi, and told me that a carton of cigarettes, which were B&H, were over €50 per carton. However, they also brought back cartons of Leaders that were considerably cheaper.

I would like to add Jan, I may not live on the island, but my resources do, and not just in one resort. Many of them are actual Corfiots.

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 am

tell your friends to look on the carton another time, the price is printed there, and if they were charged 50 Euros they were definitely overcharged. I checked (although I do not smoke) with a shop in town.

Not meaning to digress, obviously there are differences wherever you are, but having eaten (unusually) in two places catering for visitors in one day I was impressed by their service, and the unexpected bonus of 'presents'.

Prices vary, but so does quality offered obviously. Friends who only make moussaka with fresh ingredients will have to charge more than their neighbours who buy frozen from the wholesaler and heat up in the microwave. Unfortunately many holidaymakers do not have the chance to recognise the difference!

Incidentally i think I can qualify as a Corfiote by adoption, having lived here mostly since 1976, with a Greek husband, and have Greek nationality.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:42 am

I am not going to argue with you Jan, but I clearly saw the price tag on the cartons of cigarettes also, because I was somewhat astounded at the cost of the packages. That does not mean or indicate that there are cheaper brands as well as some shops selling brand names and knock down prices. In conclusion on cigarettes, there is obviously a price war going on in Greece, and on Corfu.

Agains I reiterate what I said Jan with regards to food and places to eat. No one is denying you ate where tourists eat on two occasions in the same day. The message I was getting across, which you seem to have misinterpreted, is the fact that those living on Corfu, or who have visited on a number of occasions will know where the more price friendly eateries are, compared to a first time visitor. I always use local eateries, where it is more than likely the locals will eat themselves, I do not use tourist locations because I feel that in the majority of cases, the food can be more pricy, and the service is not the same. Local eateries might have a lesser menu, but one will know that the food will be excellent as it is a known fact that Greeks will not eat rubbish.

If you want comparisons Jan, I have been visiting Corfu in particular, and Greece since 1974. At one time I was stationed in Greece teaching the Greek Navy in Communications. At the same time, I have many friends on Corfu, both ex pats, and Corfiots who I am continually in communication, and where I get my research and facts from.

Duce

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:49 am

cigarettes are fixed price I have been told, sold the same wherever, including the shop in the airport! I went to a regular outlet in Corfu Town, not a cut-price shop anyway! I am just glad that I do not smoke!

We both agree that in general places where local people eat will be cheaper, and often better, than those catering for passing trade, aren't we both lucky to know them? I was pleasantly surprised though at these places, which I was being taken to, which do not cater specifically for local people, and hope it is a sign of the changing times that some standards are improving! :good2:

I wish it was true that Greeks do not eat rubbish- unfortunately Macdonalds and Goodies etc. are flourishing! :good2:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 pm

I do not smoke myself, although use to. When I did, I found varying prices for cigarettes, in particular one shop in Corfu Town, not far from the Liston. I do not how he did it, but he brought large amounts of cigarettes, no doubt at a good price, and sold on at a lesser price than most.

I am probably one of the few who have never eaten in a MacDonalds, which I am proud of. I can remember on one visit to Corfu Town, a number of our group decided to go to MacDonalds for lunch. Myself, my wife, and two friends decided to visit a smallish restaurant along from the Liston, opposite where the Noddy Train parked. Looking at the menu, it listed Burgers, so we decided to have one. It was the most wonderful, real meaty, burger I have ever eaten, served with fries cooked in Olive Oil, and a Greek Salad. This went down beautifully with a pint or two of Ginger Beer.

I will, wherever I go on holiday, eat at local sources, and nowhere else. I do eat at certain tourist restaurants, but it has to have a good menu, Greek Menu in the case of Corfu. Thats the way I am.

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:09 pm

actually it was that shop who gave me the price for Benson and Hedges- been there for years, old friends, but I go there for that reason- price is the same in our very unfriendly periptero in the village!.

Where you ate is actually Macdonalds now (below Arcadion Hotel)- does a roaring trade, but am glad it gave good value (maybe it was called something else when you were there). If in Benitses try the stuffed bikteki at Laopetra- or at Paxinos- either delicious!

Awful rumour that when Zissimas finally retires Starbucks plan to move in- a horrid thought on the Liston as I expect you'll agree.

Agree re choosing tavernas totally, except that I can understand when people live here permanently they do sometimes want a change, and not all want to cook it themselves, hence the popularity of the odd Indian, Chinese etc.

A previous suggestion you made, that locals could recommend places for visitors- nice idea, although I do think a lot of the fun is discovering a place for oneself!

handyman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by handyman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 am

cigarettes,cigarettes,cigarettes............!

Is that life is about??????????????

Sorry..........!!

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am

A friendly debate Handyman. Of course if you read all the comments you would see that it not only relates to cigarettes. Play on man..........

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:38 pm

and neither of us smoke!! :good2:

handyman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by handyman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm

The inhabitants of the Greek islands of fear that they will run out of both food, fuel and medicines because of the strike that paralyzes transport to and from the mainland.
NTB today
For the eighth straight day was the ferries dock across Greece on Monday. The employee unions were during the day to decide whether to continue the strike.

Both of Crete, Samos and Chios, as well as hundreds of smaller islands, the inhabitants now experiencing a shortage of both milk, flour, bread, meat, fruits and vegetables, as well as fuel and other essential products.

The islands are totally dependent on supplies from the mainland.

Last week, the Greek parliament even more cuts in the public sector. Salaries and pensions goes down, 30,000 public employees lose their jobs, while taxes are set up.

Trade unions called for two major general strikes earlier in October and is considering a new round this week.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Sorry to hear that handyman but unless Greece pulls its socks up they are in danger of loosing their tourist trade. Here thousands of peps have lost their jobs and many more redundancies are expected. The Greek people must realise that the EU will not keep bailing Greece out. We are having price rises which are way beyond inflation and the squeeze is hurting. Any further strikes will only do more harm than good. I just hope it all works out ok but its going to be years to repay those loans, just where did all that money disappear to?

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:05 pm

the ferry strike ends tonight!

RobDingwall

Post by RobDingwall » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 am

In reply to the subject line "Will we be going to Greece next year?" - I sincerely hope you will along with many more people like you.

I've just returned from a visit to the UK and things were not exactly cheap there either, transport in particular. Admittedly things in supermarkets like food were cheaper than here, lots cheaper, especially if you bought the 3 for the price of 2 items etc. But money seemed to evaporate just as fast as the rain came down and it did come down!

Thanks, Jan, for the ferry news.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 am

I have made enquiries about our visit for next year to the Greek islands. The travel agents were saying that at the moment bookings were down compared to recent years and that if I cared to wait a revised price may be forthcoming. They also informed me that Turkey and the Black sea resorts were much cheaper and bookings were gathering pace. Their main worry was that carrier airlines are in a bit of trouble with rising costs etc. Strangely a Cuban full board holiday looks good value as we are both into fishing and snorkeling and a good cigar too. We shall see but heres hoping Greece's :suun: fortunes change for the better soon.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 am

In someways I appreciate why Greece is striking like she is. However, I am inclined to go along with DaveD, that if this continues the tourist trade, Greeces biggest assett will suffer badly. No one wants to stop going to Greece, and our case Corfu, but if prices continue to rise, which it will do to compensate the taxes that retailers, bar and taverna owners have to pay. Strikes are not the anwer, everyone needs to get back to work, and help the economy. It is the same here in the UK. I am anti strike (wait for the unionists to strke back), but striking is not the answer, because no one can do anything about it. And the same is the answer for Greece.

The debt problem with Greece has been ongoing since the end of WWII when Germany took everything leaving Greeks dying on the streets with starvation, penniless, and worse. By now one would have thought Greece and other countries would have managed to sort themselves out to a degree, of not being in this situation.

If taxes have and will rise 23%, with more rises pending on food, drink, fuel and more, then in turn this means that the average UK family wishing to holiday on Corfu has to find another 23% to compensate on this years prices. With the way the UK is suffering with austerity, debts, and more financial crisis, it becomes somewhat harder for us to have that annual holiday.

Last night the government voted in favour of not having an EU referendum. This was forced on the parliament which defies the Freedom of speech, and moreso no allowing the people of the UK to vote the way they wish. The problems in the Eurozone are dragging the UK down, or at least making our recovery worse.

I will seriously think twice or more about my holiday in Corfu next year, and subsequent years whilst this continues.

handyman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by handyman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 am

From a norwegian newspaper:

As my readers will have understood, I am optimistic on its behalf when it comes to our future economy. But wait. Optimism assumes that the rest of Europe manage to get out of the current quagmire. Initially it says about Greece, which runs out of money early in October. If not saved Greece, the trip can quickly come to Spain and Italy, as opposed to Greece's two major economies, too large for Germany and France, or will not handle them alone. Several plans circulating, including one which in practice makes all the EU member countries jointly to each other's debt. It can possibly save the day, but hardly anyone thinks of all the governments of EU member states will approve such a plan. Whether it will take months and years to implement.

to be recreated
It likely is - at least in the first round - that Greece with the ECB (European Union's central bank) and Germany forces rescued at the last minute for at least to avoid the focus is moved to one of the major countries, perhaps primarily Italy. If this occurs, it is impossible to have any opinion about what might happen. Most stands and falls with what Germany is willing to do in this situation. Horror scenario, which few seem to believe, is that the EU as an organization breaks down.

Have a good day cook3