Taking my mind off of the trouble in Greece

Welcome to the Pool Side, A place to chat about anything

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Taking my mind off of the trouble in Greece

Post by DaveD » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:23 pm

I am wondering what to build next, now I dont have to go to work EVER again.
Should I build something sensible which I can fly whilst the Mrs reads her book under the tree?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8J1Yz0PB8

Or should I go for something more 'Boy Racerish'?
http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=8426
You need to click on 'click here' to view the 'plane.

I used to fly at Baiter park Poole and Beauleigh airodrome in the New Forest but now their is a flying club just three miles from where I live and am thinking of those warm summer days coming next year and all that time to waste!!! :suun:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Taking my mind off of the trouble in Greece

Post by mitera » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:08 pm

I know what you mean about needing something to take your mind off the troubles, i know i am going to sound incredibly insensitve but, i go to Greece to get away from my own troubles and work , and all ive heard and read is the problems in Greece, now i love Greece and her people, but most of this is self inflicted ... and before you all come on and jump down my throat :grr: :grr: :grr: I am entitled to my opinion, i think that all this carry on with Greece will not make tourists want to visit .. but have them running in their droves to other places, i however will be going as usual , because i love it , but not eveyone will see it that way , quite honestly im sick to death of hearing about it all , with every new programme trying to destroy Greece's reputation ,like the tv programme ,Greek for a week, i turned off ,quite frankly it was rubbish , i did however like Joanna Lumleys Greek Odyssey, while not to everyones taste, i felt it was a lovely gentle romantic look at the history and village life , we dont always see, i know others wanted a more touristy look to the programme , but it wasnt made by Thomas Cook was it .. perhaps it may entice new tourists to have a look at this beautiful country, , i expect what im really trying to say is that , most of us fell in love with Greece many years ago, im not sure there are many new tourists out there would now , as a lot of its charm and traditions are being lost to the new younger and greedy Generation, also there are many places in the world that give much better value for money , better apartments and so forth , im just glad my kids fell in love with Greece when they were small and now go every year .I dont know what the answer is ,i just wish i could wave a magic wand, but would they desrve it . :shock: :shock:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Nice one Mitera, spoken from the heart.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Ohh just found this, cant be BIG enough when its flying quarter of a mile away.
http://chargedrc.smugmug.com/Tian-Sheng ... D2b-XL.jpg

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Its how i feel Dave cry: cry:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Meant to say Blimey !!! thats a big one :shock: :shock:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:15 am

All the girls say that! :wink:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:30 am

And then you woke up !!!!! rofl rofl

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Firstly, I am in total agreement with you Susie, although I will say again, I am somewhat reluctant to spend my hard earned cash in a country that will not offer much for it at the moment. I certainly do hope it improves, because as you feel, we do love Greece, and look forward to returning to the likes of Corfu and Zakynthos in the not too distant future. I do believe that most avid visitors to Greece like us on this forum feel the same way, but because of our love for the country we hope things turn around and get better. Lets see how this new guy in office does for them. At least he is going to stand by the offer put forward the other week.

Dave, WHAT A BIG ONE INDEED. I flew my first model airplane back in the 60s when my uncle who was serving on the original Queen Mary, returned from the United States. I was so proud of the the crowds that gathered around on Redhill Common in Bournemouth (which use to be an airfield), as I mastered the art of flying this petrol driven, radio controlled aircraft. Needless to say I got good a fixing them. I did by a remote controlled helicopter in Singapore once. Practice with it on many occasions and master the art of flying a machine that does not really fly. Whilst at sea on the way to Australia, I launched it off the Flight Deck, it did a circuit of the ship, and then crashed into the side of the ship, disintergrating into small pieces and disappearing in to the depths of the Pacific Ocean.

Needless to say, I have not tried since. I now stick to model ship building.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Redhill common, yes I know that flying site. I found this whilst looking for my next project I expect you would like this one Chris.
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/produ ... cts_id/461

I think Westbourne Models are an agent for them. :dup:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Chris, its one of the main reasons i love Kefalonia , where we go is quiet and very beautiful, its not overly touristy cetainly not many Brits go there,and the people are mainly humble and want your business, so they are a bit like Greece 20 years ago , we go to family run tavernas where the Dad sits up in the corner , watching over the family while he sips his coffee or indeed raki ,there are no discos , just a lovely relaxing atmosphere as people wander back an forth along the front stopping for a drink or something to eat , the Greeks are always out in force wandering aroung even at 10 or 11 in the evening they all suddenly appear with prams and kiddies running around , funny as we would all be indoors watching telly kids tucked up in bed , but no not in Greece, they just wander about... must be the heat , id never dream of going for a walk at 11pm here lol not even in the summer,blimey my neighbous would think i was a nutter!! :shock: but it seems so natural there,I love Corfu as well and Crete and Rhodes , well everwhere is diferent but the same , if you know what i mean !! lol :spec: but Kefalonia just seems to have been stuck in a timewarp, and i love it, no doubt they will soon arrive in the modern world but for now, i will go there and spend my money i doubt it will help much but i will try . :suun:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:40 am

You have hit the nail on the head Susie. Sadly we have not yet been to Kefalonia, mainly because our friends who we use to travel with, depicted Kefalonia exactly as you have, but decided it was too quiet for them. We no longer travel with them for many reasons untold, so who knows we may visit some time in the not too distant future.

Dave, super model of the Amethyst. My father in law (first wife) served on the Amethyst at the time of the Yanghtse Incident, so I have heard the true story at first hand, and can confirm that the film with Richard Todd, is as near to the truth as it can be (unlike if made by the Yanks). I shall look into to the Westbourne Models. As you know, there is a model boating lake in Poole Park, if the cliche allows when to get onto it. :grin: :grin: :grin:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 am

Richard Todd used to live in Deeping St James just one mile from where we live now. In fact he lived next door to my machine shop foreman. He was a true wartime hero as well as a film star. We camped close to Pegasus bridge when camping in Caen. Typical the first building in France to be liberated by the British Paras on 6th June 1944 was a cafe!! :coffee:

Hey be careful if you sail a motorboat in Poole park theres some serious yachting types there.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Karen, Ely is just down the road from me. I started building Keil Kraft balsa / paper models in 1956 ish and moved on to radio control in the '80s. I love to build from scratch, just a box of wood and a sharp blade. These days you just waltz into the shop, buy one which takes your fancy (which would take a week or two to build by hand) go home and assemble and you are in the air in a matter of a few hours! I do love it when they crash and I have to do some surgery on 'em to get back into the air. :dup:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Karen. You will like using the 'buddy box' it alows you to do the flying but lets John take control if something is about to happen which you didnt want.
Al of Al's hobbies frequently flew with us at RAF North Luffenham with the Rutland Flyers, on a Sunday, when I was a club member. Take care, David.