Christmas tips, got a good one?

Welcome to the Pool Side, A place to chat about anything

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Christmas tips, got a good one?

Post by DaveD » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

OK so the big day is close at hand. I notice today that Morrison's employees are dressed in silly clothing which means that we are about to enter a very expensive time of the year. It would be helpful if the members of this forum have any tips they could pass on to other members tasked with the buying of the Christmas cheer etc. My tips are these. 1) Visit other supermarkets and compare prices. You will be amazed at what the price difference is on a single product. 2) If you have family the other side of the country then send all the cards to a central address where they can collect them. 3) Bit late now but you should have been buying presents, tinned food etc, throughout the last few months when things were a lot cheaper. 4) Shopping online ISN'T cheaper when you add on the delivery charges. Better to take back to a shop when things go wrong after Christmas than spend hours on the 'phone. Come on now there must be hundreds more...

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Christmas tips, got a good one?

Post by mitera » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Pressies all bought and wrapped, ready to be put under the tree, yahoo: i have done alot of shopping on line as lots of places like Amazon, next , debenhams all do free delivery and return to the shop or free back on line , have found things cheaper now i have to say, as some places are having sales. i have seen a top i bought now half price :ddown: also a jacket cheaper, and some other stuff, but hey ho , thats how it goes,i have been off work for 6 weeks with shingles so did a fair bit on line and was here for the delivery so worked out for me ok, i also had a lot of it done from the shops already, ie, stocking fillers and suchlike , ive 5 stockings to do , so need to start early, my tips ... do what ever you fancy as weve all been doing it for years and it doesnt get any easier lol , i spend a lot of time thinking out what to get everyone , thank god its all done yahoo: yahoo: yahoo: yahoo:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:19 pm

We have brought all our presents, this week in fact. The first time that Elaine has had a holiday before the Christmas rush in years. So it has made life a lot easier. Tips from me. Some online stores are good as Susie stated above. We use Amazon alot, not just for books, films and music, but many other things. We have not only got free delivery, and return if needed, but some good deals and reductions in High Street prices.

We usually order our meats, turkey, ham, etc from the local supermarket, but in most cases there day of pick up is at the latest the 23rd. As we are away we for Christmas Day and Boxing Day, we decided to order from a local Farm Shop, who will deliver on the Saturday, or even on Boxing Day if needed. This I thought would save meats hanging around the flat, so would be worth the extra pennies. In fact the Turkey, Ham, and a box of vegetables including delivery are cheaper than the supermarket.

However, in favour of the supermarket I will say this. How many times have you gone to the supermarket nearer to the big day to buy your Christmas drinks and found that they have run out because of it selling like hot cakes. Sainsburys, our local supermarket will take orders for your favourite tipples, for you to pick up as and when you decide, payment on pick up. Today, I ordered all our wines, sparkling wines, port, scotch etc to pick up on the 24th.

From experience, do not make your own Mince pies, buy the supermarket deep filled ones. It works out far cheaper, and saves hours in the kitchen.

Merry Christmas All.................http://i40.tinypic.com/112ap2w.jpg

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Im sorry you havnt been well lately Mitera hope you are better soon. So just what do I buy 'the woman who has everything'? OK who said 'absolutely nothing'? Chris, I always use a local butcher for Christmas meat but we have a cold garage where I can store it, carefully wrapped of course, in the boot of the MINI. My No1 son is 37 on the 6th Dec, No2 son is 31 on the 22nd and I am 65 on the 26th Dec, how about that then! (theres something about April). :wink:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks Dave im a lot better and went back to work on Monday, My hubbys a butcher so no worries about the Christmas grub :wink: :wink:, what do you buy a Woman who has everything ? Diamonds !! my favourite, in any form, bracelet, earrings you name it , for me you just cant go wrong , i mean what kind of girl doesnt love sparkle especialy on Christmas, :wink: :wink: , well December is a busy time for your family, but not as busy as April as you said haha drinks drinks

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:30 am

Hi All

Well I bow my head in shame because I leave my Christmas shopping until Christmas eve :blush:
but I there is a method in my madness.
If I shop before I always pick an Item and then think I can get that cheaper round the corner, go there and think the same and this goes on for ages
and it takes me twice as long to get all the prezzies I need, a bit like your wife / girlfriend buying shoes or handbags, go in every shop then go back to the first shop and buy the first one they looked at :wink: :wink:
But going in on Christmas eve to me in my head " I only have today to get what I need" so normally I can get everything I need in a couple of hours.

The only tip I can give is "Enjoy every moment"

Cheers

Al :comp:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm

A December family Dave. My birthday is the 12th, and next Saturday my wife Elaine, sisters and brother have organised a dinner party. Where, I do not know, although I have an incling that it will be one of my favourite four places to eat. All foreign foods I might add.

Regarding the meats. As we are away Christmas Day, our local Farm Shop has offered to deliver on Boxing Day, all fresh, and ready to cook. Now thats service for you. Well he is an Ex Navy friend of mine.

http://i44.tinypic.com/jacp6r.jpg