Health Clubs ? advice needed.

Welcome to the Pool Side, A place to chat about anything

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Health Clubs ? advice needed.

Post by DaveD » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Anybody here belong to a health club? My wife used to belong to one when we lived in Bournemouth. There were some tv personalities who attended when she was at the club, but I cant go into anything as I am sworn to secrecy. Anyways my Mrs used to look like Pam Anderson when she was a member and today I have had an invite from Bannantyne's for us to join there local club. As we are now retired and with nothing to do most days I thought it would be nice for us both (? dont know if thats a good idea) to be members. The club has everything you need including a 'Spinning Studio' (whats that all about?) My fear is that if we both go at the same time we are going to be competing against each other in the pool the gym etc. Your advice will be well received its going to cost £75 a month, is that too much? DD

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Health Clubs ? advice needed.

Post by Al » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi Dave

I will not join a health club as I find them very expensive for the amount of time you go.
What I used to enjoy a lot more and it is very good exercise is swimming, I used to get up early
and go for a swim before work and at times head back there in the evening after work.

That would be my first choice and like I said it's very good exercise :dup:

Festive wishes

Al :comp:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 am

I have to agree with Al on this matter Dave. Fitness Clubs in Bournemouth are beyond the reach of most, even the now Council owned one at Pelhams Park, that use to be private. One or two have closed down because of the lack of numbers joining. Elaine and I visit our local swimming pool a couple of times a week, choosing a time that there are less users there as Elaine is not the keeness of water babies. In addition to this, we invested in a Wii box which includes Ten Pin Bowling, amongst others, and a step up fitness programme which complete on a regular basis. It has to be working as for the past 6 months since doing this regime, I have lost on average, 2 kilos per month. That is brilliant for me.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Hmm your right can be a bit expensive. We are looking at £75 per month husband and wife membership from 07.00am to 16.30pm Monday to Friday. Now if we used our bikes more, did some country walking (25yds from our front door). Adopt a dog and went swimming save a fortune, plus we gain a pooch too. :smile:

Julie12

Post by Julie12 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I have to agree with the others on this one. I have, for many years, wasted tons of money on health club dues, promising myself that I would start a workout routine. Well, it never happened. I did however find the same benefits of swimming. All I need to do is hop in my swimming pools kansas city
and find the peace and restoration I needed. It's great exercise too!
Last edited by Julie12 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:48 pm

As I said before DaveD, invest in the Wii Box with the Wii Fit input, which also not only includes a workout to ones ability, but golf, bowling, and many
other attributes for £170, one off payment. We use this, and go swimming once a week.