January 13th 1973

Welcome to the Pool Side, A place to chat about anything

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

January 13th 1973

Post by DaveD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Tomorrow we have been married Thirty-Nine years. My wife says it seems a lot longer (?).
1)When we got married you could buy a three bedroom central heated house with garage for £3,500. There were plenty to be had, they were being built everywhere.
2)The cost of our wedding was around £25. The vicar did us for free as Mrs was in the choir. The bell ringers (two old guys) did it for free as the Mrs Mum did their washing.
3)The Mrs and her Mum cut sandwiches for the reception at her house. £25 went on beer.
4)Them days Girls got married in their teens and had a family before they were twenty two ish.
5)The rates were £21 per year (rates = council tax). I found our gas meter in our new home ran backwards. We reported it and they turned it around. Our first qtr gas bill was around £3.50p.
6)We got married on a Saturday and went back to work on Thursday 18th Jan.
7)You could buy any family car you liked for well under £700
8)Petrol was four gallons for £1.25p. Senior Service fags were 20p (that was a lot of money for 20 ciggies).
9)We got a HUGE tax rebate in April '73. Being a skilled engineer I was paid £1 per hour.
10)In them days most couples got married in your teens.
Them were Happy Days.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: January 13th 1973

Post by DaveD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Went back to 'our Church' today and laid flowers on Mums grave. We drove away in our MINI just like we did thirty-nine years ago. Who would have thought we would still have a MINI. This time no tin cans tied to the bumper though. cry:

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: January 13th 1973

Post by Al » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 am

Hi Dave & Boss :wink:

Wow 39 years Big congratulations to you Both !!!
They do say that you would have had a less sentence for murder,,,,but hey that's a different story lol
It's great to look back and see the changes over the years I think it is fascinating
Dave wrote:Petrol was four gallons for £1.25p. Senior Service fags were 20p (that was a lot of money for 20 ciggies).
I do notice the fuel charges because I work in the petrol business and as for cigs well these have to be the government's biggest money
makers along with booze, say no more :grr:

It's our wedding anniversary this year, On July 11th we will have been married 25 years, and this coming from a guy who always said that I would never get married, always be partying, many wild holidays abroad etc etc well I can honestly say the last 24 and a bit years have been the best of my life!
and would not change a thing :grin: :grin:

All the Best

Al :comp: