Going to Greece this year?

Welcome to the Pool Side, A place to chat about anything

Moderator: Al

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Going to Greece this year?

Post by DaveD » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 pm

I think its just too risky booking a holiday anywhere in Greece as they may be out of the EC by March 2012.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Going to Greece this year?

Post by mitera » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Booked my Holiday to kefalonia in November, will be going whatever .. We have flight only with Thomas Cook. so the only thing that will stop me is if they go bust , i hope they dont , im not sure what difference it would make if they werent in the EU any more i will get my euros near the time anyway . :suun:

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:32 am

Greece will be there whatever currency it is using- so if you want to go there I would not hesitate. Book it!

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 am

Hi All

I have to agree with janmanessi on this one, Corfu, Greece and the Greek Islands will be there no matter what.
The Greek Islands may have a different currency but it will still be the same.
Thomas Cook and other airline will still be flying there so it's a case of booking you holiday :dup:
As long as your tour company are are ATOL/ABTA protected you have nothing to lose.

I personally dont think it's Greece's fault it in the situation its in, I think it's all down to the euro and
the only mistake Greece made was to join it :grr: :grr: I understand that there maybe some other factors but the
biggest is the euro :grr:

If you want to go to Corfu for your holiday or other Greek Islands the BOOK it and go !!!

Cheers

Al :comp:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 am

I tend to agree that Greece is Greece regardless of what the currency is. However, what we cannot get away from is the fact that everything is,
and will be so much more expensive compared to what we have been use to. This is where one of the faults lie. As tourists and visitors we get use
to a certain price, a certain exchange, and once it begins to rise, or gets out of control, we tend to move away from that area.

I do however, tend to differ on who is at fault. Many countries have joined the EU and the moreso the Eurozone, the latter using the Euro.
But we do see that not all Eurozone countries are in a position such as Greece. This is not to say they are not suffering as many, but not in the
same situation. This is where I believe that Greece is at fault, maybe not for all, but for much of its dilemma. People not paying their taxes,
and worst of all, the governments and powers to be not putting their foot down earlier, but borrow more money to increase and ever increasing
debt.

I would still go to Greece subject to my health, but in the meantime I still travel to near Europe by ferry and car, and although other Eurozone
countries are feeling the problem, I do find, in particular in France, day to day monetorial issues remain favourable to the visitor. There are many
things on the shopping list that are much cheaper than the UK, and of course with the Euro rising against the Pound, this look better.

Of course this my opinion only, and not that of anyone elses.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Greece will always be there but if Greece leaves the EU then the Euro will be useless in Greece. Greece will then have to print its own currency and the exchange rate will be ...peanuts? Sorry but the only thing that Greece can do is comply with the EU regulations Greece signed up to. If Greece messes Germany and France about well its on a slippery slope. They will deffo want their pound of flesh.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Me too dont care about the currency im going whatever,its all booked so cant wait . yahoo: yahoo: yahoo:

handyman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by handyman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:04 pm

The General Strike
As a mostvar to cut the requirement, the two largest unions GSEE and ADEDY Tuesday started a 24 hours long general strike and extensive demonstrations. As a consequence, are now large parts of Greece still. Be it public transport, banks, schools or most of the operations of hospitals.

Among the slogans that reverberates in the Athens streets are a common topic: "No to the medieval working conditions, do not bend their heads, show resistance," according to Reuters.
-----------------------------------------
They are digging theirs own grave
-----------------------------------------
:ddown: :ddown: :ddown: