Walking around Liapades -routes, advises and other...

Ask a question regarding Liapades or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Weera

Walking around Liapades -routes, advises and other...

Post by Weera » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:35 pm

What routes can you advise for walks?
I had two walks this year:
1. Liapades - Limni beach.
2. Liapades-Lakones-Makrades-Krini-Angelocastro-Liapades.

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Walking around Liapades -routes, advises and other...

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Vera

It depends on how fit you are and how hot the weather is. Here are a few walks to consider.

1. Liapades to Gardelades (a small village) about 2.5Km inland.

2. Liapades to Doukades (another small village) about 6Km.

3. Liapades to Marmarro (yet another small village) about 6Km.

4. Liapades to Paleocastrisa. You walk via the path over the Mountain that starts down by the Elly Beach Hotel (about 45mins).

5. Liapades to the Silver Fox Taverna (thats the one up on the Mountain above the Cricketers).

Another walk I used to enjoy was go up to the School (Gymnasio) walk up the track and just keep on walking it will tak you as far as the Road to Paleocastrisa and you can then walk into Paleo or just complete a circle and come back to Liapades via the main roads. You can also go via this track and it brings thro the Olive Groves to the back of the Sula Rock Apartments and you can then look down on the Gefyra Beach.

Happy walking.

Rog

Weera

Post by Weera » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Thank you, Rog!

Can you explain in detail how I can walk to Marmaro from Liapades? Is there a walk pass or only main road?

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Vera

Do you have a Road map of Coofu?

I have just looked at one of mine and maybe it is a bit of a long walk to Marmaro it will probably take about 2 hours. It lies South of Ilodoros a Beach South of liapades Bay but inland. There is a church Agios Iliodoros.

I have never done this walk but I believe that if you use the same Road that you did when you walked to Limni and just keep going you will get there. The villages in that area are Kanakades, Marmaro and then Giannades they lie south of Liapades but slightly inland. I personally wouldn't walk it especially in the height of Summer (I am 68 years old though).

Have you thought of walking part of this route http://www.holidaycorfu.org/forums/view ... f=29&t=436. It's my trip around the North West you could go as far as The Golden Fox above Paleocastritsa then on to Krini, Makrades and then on to Vistonas. it is a good long walk if that is what you are looking for.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Vera

When I first started walking around Liapades about 21 years ago what I enjoyed most was getting lost. My method was to select a Road or Path that I knew I could find my back to Liapades if I got lost and just walked.

I found that this way I found the most fanastic views and scenery, places that the local people and maps could explain to you. If I tried to find them now I would never manage it as I just "Followed my Nose". For example if you walk up through the Village Square and just carry on to the top there are amazing views and you can even find you way to Rovinia Beach via the Back road walking through the Olive Groves or down onto the Ropa Valley. This is the type of walking I enjoy most.

Rog

Weera

Post by Weera » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 am

Thank you, Rog!

The road to Limni beach ends in 1-1.5 km after Limni ( I walked this way in September) :cry: I mean the road beggining near supermarket Athina/

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:17 am

Vera

I haven't been there for some years now but as I remember the road crosses over a bridge near a qauarry and then continues to Limni that you used to get to by walking throught an Olive Grove. I thought that it continued further after that and I have to admit that i thought it went as far as the other Villages.

I would say that the only other way to get to it is by walking up through Liapades Villages and just follow your Nose. As i said I have never done this walk so it is pure supposition on my part I wouldn't liked to have done it even when I was younger too much for me.

Rog

Weera

Post by Weera » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:06 am

Rog,
I ussually don't trust printing walk instructions and choose the direction on crossroad myself :D
Next year I am going to go to Ag.Gordis by bus and try to return to Liapades by foot. I am not sure now that I really will do this but I am dreaming in this moment...
And the second "dreaming" walk will be walk from Ag.Georgios North to Liapades...

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:17 am

Vera

A man called Peter Blythe lives In Liapades and he uses the Cricketers almost daily. He arranges for Visitors to come over and he organises walking holidays for them. I think they spend two weeks walking from the South of Corfu (Kavos area) and they walk all the way up to Acharavi. Each night they stay at a different Taverna/Hotel and they use the Cricketers to take a two night break from walking. It might be beneficial for you to speak with him.

I have a couple of his walks here. I was going to try ond reproduse it into Map form for him to distribute among his walkers. I will send you written details of it by email.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Walks Around Liapades - FAO Weera

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 am

Vera

Walk - Liapades to Gianades
Start at the square in Liapades village. Walk uphill from the square on the street facing. Go past the tobacco kiosk and at the top, go left on the T-junction. Follow the path as it winds upwards. The path climbs and joins the asphalt road above the village. Keep walking uphill on the road which swings right at a Y-junction. The route is straight ahead left at the Y-Junction keep walking until the next junction is reached. Here keep on the road that goes left past the shrine on the right which stands at the point of the junction, follow the road which at times becomes gravel. Keep on the main track which then meets the next junction as it swings left. The route continues going right passing a red arrow painted on an old hut wall on your left. Keep on the main track untill the next T-Junction. Here there is marked a two way yellow arrow (this is part of the Corfu Trail) which is painted on an Olive Tree and a rock wall is facing you. Follow the route going left.

The track soon climbs to the right and passes through shaded Olive Trees as it goes over the summit of the ridge. A steep concrete track continues downhill and the Roper Plain and the South and East Island landscape comes into view. Follow the the asphalt road straight ahead and then a loose gravel track which goes to the right. Follow the route to the right. Keep on this main track all the way to Gianades. You will pass a track leading left at a right -hand bend and further on to the top of the next hill where two further tracks cross the main track. Go straight across these junctions. The village of Gianades soon comes into view on your left situated on a high plateau. The church can be clearly seen. The track circles right almost passing the village then swings leftand descends first before climbing again as it joins the Tarmac road. Go left here uphill passing the Cemetery on thye left. Descend down the street into the village and the Square is situated to the right. Uphill a little with a wonderful view across the Ropa Valley.[/b]

Weera

Post by Weera » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 am

Thank you, Rog !