Modern Day Liapades

Ask a question regarding Liapades or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Modern Day Liapades

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:46 pm

Liapades is what can be best described as a small Hill Village about 900 residents. That's not to say you have to drive up steep mountain tracks to get to it, it's just that it is elevated about 500 foot above sea level.

It is located about 20 Km west of Corfu Town and about 6 km east of Paleocastrisa. It's history can be traced back to pre Byzantine times almost 2,000 years ago (see my Thread on The History of Liapades). It is on the edge of the Ropa Valley and is just one of a cluster of small villages in the area. These other villages, Marmarro, Gardelades and Doukades all lie within walking distance for those of you who are energetic enough to attempt it. Paleocastrista is a 15 minute boat ride around the bay (you can walk there also, I have on more than one ocassion).

So, what is it like now? As you turn off the main Corfu/Paleo road the first place of note you hit is The Village Taverna I haven't been there recently but it was always reknowned for it's food. You then have to negotiate two right angled bends to continue down towards the Beach. On the right hand side is an eatery called The Captains Table another place with a high reputation for food.

About half a mile further on, past the Village Cemetary and Village School, is the Michaelas Complex a Taverna with Pool and apartments they also run one of the local Supermarkets, Katerinas. Further on down you then have the Papoulas Apartments (with Pool) who also provide a full taverna service with food a rooms, the atmosphere here is excellent.

Almost oposite Papoulas is Nickos Video Bar the name speaks for itself but I have never been there.

You then have two or three more small Tavernas until you reach The Medusa Bar (with Pool) and Shambala, run by two cousins. The Medusa is a daytime hospitality bar whilst Shambala tends to spealise in night time music for younger people and have been known to spend €3,000 for a Greek Star performing for just one night.

Further on is The Wind and Waves owned and run by our friends Spiros and Lola Agathos, a very friendly place with excellent facilities (pool etc). We spend a lot of time here as we have known Lola since she was eight years old and running her Mothers Supermarket (Katerinas).

Our next "Port of Call" is The Cricketer Taverna/Liapades Beach Hotel where we have been visiting for the past twenty years (I could talk for hours on this on it's own). The Cricketers began it's life as a Katikia, the famiy's home outside of the village. It is owned by the Ghoulis family and run by our good friend Spiro (who I think of as a second son). The "Filoxenia" (hospitality to strangers) here will surpass anything to found anywhere else on the Island. I'm not easily pleased but cannot fault it.

Finally on Gefira Beach is the Elly Beach Hotel.

I realise that I have not named everybody concerned in the area but if you can imagine when we go out we merely say "we'll meet you at Yianis" or wheatever.

Also available are the usual Car and Bike Rental services.

These are the tourist spots. For those of you who are more interested in the Corfu way of life, the Village, perhaps this is where you should head for. To reach it after passing The Village Taverna you take a sharp left hand turn and head on up to the Village Square passing a number of historical attractions like ancient churches. On the Square are three or four very small Tavernas/Caffenions they cater in the main for the local people but visitors are always welcome.

The main Taverna is The Pink Panther owned by Sharron and Michaelis they open seven days per week all year round. Again this is a very special place.

If I have missed anything out that you would like to know then just let me know and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:02 pm

What a fantastic up to date review of Liapades. Thank you Roger, that is now somewhere else we will have to contemplate now.

Has as been said, this is what this whole forum is about. Informing others of other resorts and locations. Many thanks Roger.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks Chris.

It was put together a bit hurriedly, as you no doubt noticed. I did promise Kev to post something and that was the best I could manage in the short time I had.

I'll look at it closer when I've got time available and edit it somewhat.

Rog