A Trip Around the North West of Corfu

Ask a question regarding Liapades or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

A Trip Around the North West of Corfu

Post by Etsiketsi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm

I'd like to take you on a trip around the North West of Corfu to areas where you can see it in all it's most glorious beauty.

To begin with you need some form of transport and need to be heading on the Corfu/Paleocastritsa road towards Paleo. Before entering Paleo you need to take the road to the right, up towards Lakones and the famous Golden Fox owned by our friends Costas and Katerina, and the famous Bella Vista. We're not interested in this today.

Drive through Lakones and head for Krini and Makrades. Along this road you will come to a road junction near Vistonas you need to bare right and follow the signs for Kastelani and Choreopiskopi this will bring you out on the Troubeta Pass.

Ok, now we know where we are going this is some of what you'll find along the journey I'm not going to give precise directions as getting lost is the best part of the journey.

The journey from Krini, Makrades and Vistonas onwards will provide you with a view of Corfu that you won't find anywhere else on the Island apart from the top of Pantokrator. Along this road is a Taverna called The Psaras Taverna, "Psari" is Greek for fish so this is it's speciality. If you stop off here for a Coffee or whatever you will find views of the Island to die for.

You are over 1,000 ft above sea level and a short walk across the road will let you see all of Liapades, Gardalades, Marmarro, Paleo at it's very best, on a clear day you can see right across the Island to Gouvia and Corfu Town along the Ropa Valley. We are above the accepted tree line level so the vegetation resembles that which you will find on Dartmoor. Here, Gorse and Broom grow in abundance and the soil is at it's thinest. The quietness will deafen you and you'll find that your only companions are the Goats who you can hear chewing away at 100 yards.

If you take a walk to the back of the Taverna you'll then be presented with views of the mountains and as far as the Northern beaches of Sidari and Roda. The panorama takes in other villages such as Kiprianades, Episkopi, Klimatia and Karousades lying on the side of the sweeping hills leading to valleys covered in Olive, Lemon and Orange trees. You will also see coastal villages like Avliotes, Agios Stafanos and Arilas.

You will discover small Monasteries and Convents run by about six Monks or Sisters.

This is my Corfu. The Corfu of the Mountains, where the majority of the villagers speak very little English and the only way to communicate is thro' what little Greek we have and Sign Language. This is Corfu culture at it's best.

Try it, I guarantee you won't be disapointed, it takes less than half a day to make this journey. If you like it I'll show you some more trips another time.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 am

Kathy

Have you ever been to that part of the Island? I welcome criticism of any inaccuracies in my posts. It is not always easy getting villages in their correct order when your recalling memories from 1,500 miles away.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:37 am

I think I have said before, unfortunately I have not visited this part of Corfu during my visits to the island. I have said this on other resort threads, and the same must be said again. Your words Roger, paint a perfect picture of Liapades and its surrounding areas. I can quite visual that view from 1000 feet above sea level.

As I have said to other members describing the resorts they visit, it makes it hard to choose where to go as we are contemplating visiting different resorts from the one we have been use to. Not because we are fed up with our resort, but our favourite accommodation is no longer there, and we think it is time we explored more.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Hope to see more soon.

Yeiamas, Chris

PS: Do not forget any pictures you may have

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:43 am

Chris

If you are contemplating giving Liapades a try tell me what sort of accomodation you prefer and I'm sure I can give you some telephones numbers of places that match your needs. You can rest assured that I will only provide the nicest accomodation run by the best people.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 am

Thank you Roger. I have taken note of your information, and will indeed let you know if we do need any further help. Many thanks.

Yeiamas, Chris