What I Like About Corfu

Ask a question regarding Liapades or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

What I Like About Corfu

Post by Etsiketsi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:57 pm

As you may have noticed I'm inclined to be a sporadic poster. I guess Corfu gets to me at certain times and the "Juices" start to flow. I don't want to bore you with my likes and dislikes but I do want to give you the oportunity to discover them.

We all have our preferences about the places we like to visit and each of us have different reasons for choosing any one particular place. For those of us who enjoy a livelier time perhaps we will choose the South of the Island. Those amongst us who have young families will maybe prefer the safer bathing conditions of the North Coast. Then again some may prefer the beauty and mixture of nightlife of the east Coast.

As you have no doubt noticed I prefer the peace and tranquility of the North West. It's not without it's entertainment but mass gatherings of people dancing till 7.30 am are very rare. Then again you have in this area the wide selection of small villages who still go about their daily chores using the "Old Fashioned" methodology of Donkeys and Handcarts.

This is what I enjoy about Corfu. I love to see people living in peace and harmony with nature and still relying on the simple pleasures they experienced fifty years ago untill we, the tourist, came and spoiled their way of life. I never tire of discovering another isolated village where the people are amazed that a foreigner can not only pronounce their words but actualy understand what they mean. It's at times like this that the Corfu hospitality "Philoxenia" is experienced at it's best.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:34 am

Kathy

On the subject of two way conversations one talking Greek and the others English this bring back memories of our dear friend the late Dr Costas. On our first visit in 1988 we met him at the bar of the Cricketers and he scared Sue to death. He insisted on continually feeling her arms and proclaiming to everyone around "Good Lady, Strong Lady", as I said Sue was petrified.

Later on he started joining us at our table at lunchtimes, he spoke not a word of English but, we managed to glean from our conversations that he had been to Lon-Don and Ox-Ford plus Chezchloslavakia. He had visited Madame Tussauds and many other places. He was obviously a real ladies man when he was young and still had the urges when in his seventies.

He wasn't a real Doctor but had worked in Corfu Town as a Psychiatric Nurse and considered himself an expert on all things medical. He was reknowned for his treatment of a sprained ankle especialy of the Female members of the human race. His normal practice in these instances would be firstly an examination of his patient starting at the Thigh and gradually working his way up to the Breast area after which he would proclaim "Nothing is broken you must rest it for three days" often he would offer to ferry the woman around in his own car.

A lovely man totally harmless and a loss to the human race.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:44 am

I think we can all relate to some sort of character, such as the "Doctor" in the above story. I think this is something else that gives much character to an area of our choice we visit when on holiday in Corfu.

Indeed in Kontokali was such a character. Our village character use to appear at the hotel, or at the taverna or bar, wherever we were with a min van to ferry us to town or back. The funny side of this story is that we never ever made contact with him, nor did our friends of the hotel we stayed at. He just seem to appear from no where. Needless to say, at 2, 3 or later in the morning we were very pleased to see him.

His name, oh yes, Spiros. I am sure it was something else, but he felt that Spiros was easier for us to pronounce.

Yeiamas, Chris