Amazing find in my Family History

A place where you can add your jokes (Clean !!) Also Trivia questions, stories not related to Corfu (funny ones), quizzes on music, television. etc etc.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Amazing find in my Family History

Post by Chris » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I have unearthed a fascinating piece of history associated with my family whilst doing some digging around in the archives.
It would seem that in the early 1800s on one branch of the family I had a pair of great great great great great great maiden aunts who used to run a Pie Shop in the docklands of London, near the old west India Docks docks.
From the family archives it seems that their business netted them a reasonable income however when one of them became sickly, due to the terrible atmospheric and insanitary conditions coupled with the dangerous life near the docks, they took their doctors advice and sold up and decided to move out of London.
With the money they made form the sale, and careful savings they had made over the years, they bought a large house over looking St Michaels Bay between Penzance and Newlyn and proceeded to live as “ladies of independent means” which was unusual in those days.
With the bracing sea air and healthier lifestyle the ailments of the sickly one soon disappeared and they looked for a business opportunity to fill their time.
They noticed that “pies” of various fillings were a bit of a rarity away from London and it would seem that “pasties” were about the only filled pastry available.
They decided to open their own pie shop (the old façade can still be seen halfway along Market Jew Street)) and educate the locals into the delights of steak and stilton,. beef and ale and various other delicacies of the time. It proved to be very popular and it is noted in the archives that they are credited with inventing the “label on a skewer”, identifying the type of produce (and more importantly the price) that you still see today.
The invention came about because they became tired of people asking “what’s in that one? and “How much is that one” so they improvised with wooden knitting needles threaded over paper to create a sign that they could stick into pie to identify it and the price and the rest is history.

Which is why to this day, you can find out the Pie Rates Of Penzance.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Amazing find in my Family History

Post by mitera » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:06 pm

I went into a shop in Wigan last week and asked the owner if he sold "turps"he asked would that be cassette turps or video turps :lol: :lol: :lol:

what do you call a wigan kabab? 2 pies on a stick :lol: A Bloke from Wigan wins the lottery. He decides he want to have a statue of his dog so he goes to the jewellers and asks how much a solid gold statue of a dog would be.

The jeweller asks "Do you want it eighteen carat?"

No I'll just have it chewing a bone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

will i stop now :lol: :lol: :lol:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Oh and by the way you two ... your jokes were terrible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Please yourselves. I remember going into a shop on Corfu. I was browsing around, and the owner came to me and said could he help. I looked at him and said what is a Picos, he said, €3............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You like or you do not like it...........in the words from that great film............"franky my dear, I dont give a damn"............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:13 pm

clearly you dont my dear by those jokes .........Ok that one was funny , i give you that .. :lol: :lol: