Zorba the Greek director passes away

A place where you can add your jokes (Clean !!) Also Trivia questions, stories not related to Corfu (funny ones), quizzes on music, television. etc etc.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Zorba the Greek director passes away

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 pm

'Zorba' director Michael Cacoyannis dies in Athens

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ymg00w.jpg

Michael Cacoyannis, the Greek-Cypriot director of “Zorba the Greek,” has died in Athens at the age of 89, according to reports. Cacoyannis was nominated for an Academy Award 5 times. He received Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Film nominations for Zorba the Greek, and two nominations in the Foreign Language Film category for Electra and Iphigenia. Born in Limassol, Cacoyannis lived in London as a young man but he made his first film, Kyriakatiko xypnima (Windfall in Athens), in the Greek capital in 1954. He followed this up the following year with a seminal movie for Greek cinema, Stella.However, Cacoyannis will forever be associated with his 1964 adaptation of Nikos Kazantzakis’s book about Alexis Zorbas, played by the exuberant Anthony Quinn. This in my opinion is no doubt the best Foreign Film, in particular Greek Film that I have seen. I personally have four copies of the film, one on 8mm film, and three DVDs.

jeNsr_nQEfE

In my opinion probably the best scene from the film. Fantastic.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Zorba the Greek director passes away

Post by DaveD » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Anthony Quinn, he really does look like a Greek! Although he is Mexican/American his performance in 'Zorba' and 'Guns of Navarone' were exceptional. His part in 'Lawrence of Arabia' as a Auda abu Tayi was also so real. Not many Greek film directors I know of but Michael Cacoyannis directed a wonderfull film 'Zorba the Greek'.

Keira

Post by Keira » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:54 pm

THANK YOU for that, loved it :good2: Keira.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 am

Doing some research for a Film and Cinema Forum I found that Irene Papas is the only survivor of the film Zorba the Greek. Sadly, all the cast and those involved in making the film are at the big studios in the sky.

http://i54.tinypic.com/mt12dx.jpg