Car Rental Advice

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

FISHiEE

Car Rental Advice

Post by FISHiEE » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi,

We are looking to travel to Corfu next year staying in Paleokastritsa and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good car hire companies to us.

We travelled to Corfu about 5 years ago, staying in Paloekastritsa back then also, and hired a car to explore the island. We had the car delivered to and collected from our apartment which was great. We also learnt from that experience we need a 4wd to properly explore - our pool little Fiat Punto back then was pushed well beyond it's limits but just about survived!

Any help would be much appreciated :)

John

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Car Rental Advice

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:31 pm

John.

We use EuroCars and pick it up at the Airport when we arrive then drop it off when we leave.

We do all our Bookings Online so you can find plenty of Car Hire Companies there and compare prices. Just type in Corfu Car Hire into your Search Engine and take a look.

Rog

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi Rog,

Thanks for the reply.

I was considering that approach but couldn't remember how easy the drive was out of the airport?

Also we don't need a car for the first few days probably so there may be savings to be had by booking for a shorter period and not therefore collecting from the airport (unless it's cheap and easy to get there for collecting with public transport?)

John

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:00 am

Hi FISHiEE

I was browsing for car hire earlier and came across these companies which have 4x4s for hire: INTER CORFU CAR HIRE, CAR HIRE CORFU, CORFU CAR RENTAL.

This is just a few, which I have used in the past. Hopefully, next year if my plans work, we will be driving to Corfu in my own 4x4. Should save a few Euros.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 am

Sound advice Simon if needed. However, I would like to point out that we have hired three times on Corfu, and umpteen times in Spain, Portugal and other places. On all occasions picking the car up from the airport, and returning to the airport. Not once have we been stung for any spirious damage, or other matters.

Not contradicting Simon, just putting a point across that it is not always the case. :wink: :wink:

Yeiamas, Chris

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for the replies.

Probably wise advice that everyone should heed actually as I guess if you drop off the car, then it gets dinked by someone after you've left it, how are the hirers to know it wasn't you who did it?

I admit to never taking pics before and never had anyone check the car over before I've left it, in several countries I've hired cars. So far I've had no problems but I guess it's quite easy to avoid any potential problem in the future by doing this.

John

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 pm

I have had a bit of a search on the web now and the best price I can find for a 4x4 is from these guys:

http://www.corfucars4hire.com/

Does anyone have any experience of these as to how good they are? They seem quite a bit cheaper than other prices I've seen.

Many thanks

John

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Better to name and shame Simon, rather than others being ripped off, dont you think.

Yeiamas, Chris

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 am

Hi,

I have also found these guys have good rates. Anyone with experience of these:

http://www.corfucarrentals.com/index.htm

Regards

John

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:20 am

Hi John, I have used the latter company on one occasion and found them very good, with a great service before, during and after hiring. We hired a 4x4 Jeep, which was perfect for what we wanted.

The first company you mentioned, I cannot help you on that one, as I have never used them.

Yeiamas, Chris

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the feedback :)

John

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Blimey this is an old post!

Thanks for the replies. In the end all our plans changed and we didn't make it to Corfu but I still have it in mind for another year. Possibly next year as me and my girlfriend of 2009 are now getting married this June.

We had a couple of weeks in Crete last year (Thanks to Tescos clubcard vouchers!) which was our first time back to Greece since our last trip to Corfu and we loved it. Should be well stocked up with clubcard vouchers again come christmas time so that might be the perfect opportunity to return :)