Prices

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Prices

Post by mitera » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 pm

My mum is in Cyprus just now and she and my sister and her husband went to a small village Taverna for a meal and were charged wait for it ................ 16 euros 50 for a Greek salad , and 17 euros 50 for a small carafe of village wine :shock: :shock: maybe Corfu isnt so bad after all :grin: now thats nothing to do with the euro or the pound . :???:

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Prices

Post by Al » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Missy M

All I can say to that is WOW Please tell me that they have taken their "Flexible Friend"
(Credit cards) because at those prices I think they may need it !!!

Hope they have a great Holiday

Regards

Al :cool:

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Agree, why go somewhere that is only half Turkish when you can visit the actual fabulous country itself.

I hold a Greek identityy card but I love Turkey too, the people are so similar in their attitude to life, and the place (once you get away from the appalling British built cheap developments and ghastly resorts on the west coast) is amazing. Aphrodisias puts Ephesus into the shade- largely because you can visit without hordes of cruise ship customers being shepherded around, and Cappadocia is wonderful- and there are villages there where the names boards are in both Greek and Turkish and the mayors are trying to link the communities again and remember their shared past. A lot of Greeks have bought houses there too and are welcomed.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Actually my mum has been all over the Greek islands for many years, and Turkey also , Cyprus is her 3rd holiday this year .. lucky for some twice already to Greece , she hasnt been to Cyprus before and my sister and her husband who have been before actually like this part they go to its a wee village and yes there are Brits there , but lets face it , there are other parts of the world people like to visit not just Greece , so lets not become to over biased here , in fact my mum says where they are is the first place shes seen for a while that is actually really Greek and not over commercial . :grin:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:30 am

I am wondering why anyone would not get up and walk out of a restaurant if they knew this was the charge, ie, on the menu, or refuse the bill if not. Yes I agree in this case that it has nothing to do with the crappy Pound, but just sheer greed on the part of the restaurant.

Jam, I have to agree on Turkey, in particular Aphrodisias. Lots of similarities between both Greece and Turkey, in more ways than most think. Although I do prefer Greece. Cyprus is alright, although I would not go there on a holiday. I served their when in the Navy, and I went to my nephews wedding, but I was only there for 3 days because of the Naval duties.

I am a firm believer that a lot of Turkey, and indeed Greece has been ruined, in particular a number of islands. As long as thee is tourism, this is the way it will be unfortunately.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:49 am

My mum wouldnt walk out of the taverna , she thought the menu had said 6 50 for the salad , and the wine well. they asked for the small house wine at 7 50 .. which is dear enough in my book , but the guy came over with an old lemonade bottle and said this is our village wine you can have this , whatever you dont drink is fine just have what you want from the bottle , so they drank maybe half as they had had drinks already with the meal . when they got the bill they were charged 17 50 , so my sister said , erm .. no we asked you for the small house wine and you gave us this , he argued the toss , then my mum appeared and in her finest Greek told them what had happened and he agreed they would only pay 11 5o which was bad enough , thankfuly my mums Greek is good enough that she was able to tell him exactly what she thought of their 11 50 .they paid and left , remember my father spoke Greek and we do know what we are doing when we get there , possibly why my family are so shocked at whats going on . they have found places as usual where its half the normal price than some others , but my mum is a little like me , waits to see what the prices they will be charged then says something in perfect Greek to be met by the oops are you Greek , then erm hang on and we will see .huh then she will never return there incidentally my mum wasnt overly fond of Turkey but that was 20 years ago :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Obviously if one has the ability to talk a reasonable amount of Greek then one stands a better chance of getting a better deal. I too know enough to get me by, but I am the opposite, and spend a lot of time browsing the menu, wine list, etc, and if I think the prices are to high, I move on. If however, the bill comes at the end, and is higher than I expected, then I refuse to pay with reservations. Normally with the number of other patrons in the restaurant, things begin to turn in your direction. Did this in Majorca on two occasions. However, I must admit I have not witnessed this problem in Greece, and moreso Corfu.

Simon, yes the good old British Pound, as always at the centre of all financial controversy. I watched a programme the other night about the Lehman Bank fiasco, and how Britain and of course Mr. George (one eye) Brown blames the financial problem on America. Many asked the same question as I have always asked. If the financial sector saw this coming, which they did, why then did the government and the banks industry allow our banks to do what they did, including paying out millions to pension the big boys off, and then multi millions and billions to bail the banks out. And it is still going on today, now with HSBC, and overall interests between 2 and 5% instead of 2 and 3, which is going to take a few years to get back on track. America might have started the ball rolling, but the Pound and the UK financial troubles belong to Britain and Britain alone.