Price of Coffee

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Price of Coffee

Post by mitera » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 pm

These places wont be open at all if they continue to rip people off , im sure if they were a bit cheaper they would be busier , after all how much does it cost to make a cup of coffee , and yes i do know all about overheads and staff blah blah but , its not an excuse , i love Greece and id rather it didnt become a victim of its own success , you only have to look at the kafenion now the busiest places sometimes .

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Sue

How right you are. We vote with our feet if we find that certain places are trying to rip us off we will pass by but not enter so, they can't blame any downward trend in lack of visitors cos' they can see us. We just don't use them.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Likewise in Zakynthos we found that prices were a lot less than in Corfu the previous year, and also the following yea when we went back to Corfu. If the owners of such places do not change their attitudes towards visitors, then they will lose out in the end. I can remember working a big bar in Portsmouth a few years back, and I suggested not charging for mixers if they came from the pumps. It was agreed, and the takings were more that evening as more brought drinks knowing the mixers were free. I am not saying it works everywhere, but it can do. I certainly do not see where a splash of soda can turn a white wine into a spritzer, or to be charged as such. Not good for business.

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:26 pm

I know our attitude to this sort of thing might bore a lot of you but, we tend to stick close to our own Hotel because of this pricing attitude or else we are selective in where we go. This year friends came over for one of the weeks we were there and Barry commented all the time about the prices. He even argued with Spyro telling him that the peices he was paying couldn't be right and that he (Spyro) must be making a mistake.

On his first evening (and Barry and his wife can drink) he said that his bill was sure to be €65 to €70 imagine his surprise when he was asked for €36 so I guess it can be a bit of a shock. It just proves what we've all been saying about people returning cos Spyro was overbooked so much this year that he had to send people into Paleocastritsa.

The rest of the Island will learn eventually.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Noted on another forum, regarding the price of Coffee. At Lake Korisson, 2 coffees and a small bottle of water, came to €7. In Corfu Town Latte and Frappe at the Liston, came to €6.10. 2 coffees, with free water at Old Perithia was €3.