Where do y'all shop then??

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

HB

Where do y'all shop then??

Post by HB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 am

Hi

I've seen a fair few posts about prices during the season at various restaurants etc, but what about supermarkets etc??

Is anyone able to tell me what supermarkets, markets etc are available on the island, and what the comparable costs are for living? Here in Kefalonia a jar of Nescafe Gold Blend is E4.50, sliced bread is about E1.80 a loaf, fresh bread E1, milk ranges from 77cents to E1.49 (this depends on whether LIDL have run out!!) and eggs are E1 for half a dozen.

Imported british stuff is very expensive - heinz beans can be E1.30 a can....Tetley tea bags are E2.80 for 40. (thanks at this point go to my mum and her Red Cross Parcels every month containing Bisto Gravy Powder, Tetley tea bags, etc etc)

Oh and just out of interest whats Unleaded petrol at over there right now.... E1.37 a litre here!!!

Thanks in advance

H x

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Where do y'all shop then??

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Corfu has the AB Supermarket and Diellas, both which can be found across the island, and in the Corfu Town. There is a Lidl's Hypermarket on the outskirts of Corfu Town, on the road to Dassia/Ipsos. Prices appear to be similar to what you are experiencing on Kefalonia. There is a Fruit, Veg and Fish Market in Corfu Town, near to the Old Fort. The market is daily from very early in the morning to midday. Fuel prices are also about the same on the last updates. I am sure a member who resides on the island will give a better update in due course.

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by janmanessi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:59 am

loads of supermmarkets all over the island now- huge branches of Marinopoulos....Sconto....Dimitra.......plus Lidl and Diellas, and numerous others! Many have their own brands which are cheaper too.

Aldso have Kotsobolos (Dixons) and otner electrical outlets.

All the above, and many more also have taken business away from the small shops to the ultimate detriment of the consumer.

The English Corner Shop provides (I am told but have never been in) pretty well everything that might be missed by someone moving out to Corfu

LESLIE

Post by LESLIE » Sun May 23, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks for the information on food prices. I am about to fly out from the uk so found it all very useful.
Les