Greece and UK Strikes

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Greece and UK Strikes

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:18 am

Strike to affect public transport on Tuesday, Wednesday. Air traffic controllers to stage two four-hour stoppages on both days

Workers on most modes of public transport have decided to take part in the 48-hour general strike on Tuesday and Wednesday. Air traffic controllers will stage work stoppages on both days. Air traffic controllers decided on Saturday that they would also join the strike by staging two four-hour stoppages on both days. This means they will walk off the job from 8 a.m. to noon tomorrow and on Wednesday and from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
This is expected to disrupt dozens of flights, so passengers are advised to check with their airlines.

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Greece and UK Strikes

Post by DaveD » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:29 pm

They better watch out as Mitera is traveling next Sunday! She will give them a bashing if they disrupt her travel arrangements! :wink:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Bashing HA !!!! I will cut their bits off and post them back to them :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: thankfully its Sunday so fingers crossed :cool: :cool:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Spoken like a true Scot! drinks

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Ha ha , yep so true Dave and that was me being polite :grin: :grin: :grin:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I have done a search Susie through the various news sheets and there is nothing planned for Sunday in the way of disruptions.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Ta Chris , hope not as ive had my fair share of delays over the years dont want anymore , :suun:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:19 pm

As long as you get there coming home can be sorted. Have you ever ridden pillion on a motorbike?

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Many years ago yes , and hated every moment of it :shock: :shock:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 am

To add further to the injury, the UK Border Control have decided to take strike action tomorrow in support of the Public Sector Workers Strike action. This is/will cause long delays to passengers at Passport and Immigration Control at all UK airports. Passengers are advised to check before departures.

The Greece government goes to the polls today to vote on accepting the bailout offer, or to resist the borrowing which inevitably result in bankruptcy. It is a dilemma that any government could do with out. On one hand if further loans are accepted, pushing the country further into debt, they are then committed to paying off the billions of loans, which could escalate the strike action into, quote, civil unrest, and even civil war. Bankruptcy on the other hand could be the withdrawal from the Eurozone altogether, and wiping out all the debt, with a possibility of returnng to the Drachma, which would be worth less than the Euro. At the same time, with debts being wiped out, this could mean trouble for countries who made the loans, in furthering their own financial problems, and giving the rights to Ireland and Portugal to do the same, where even the UK invested hundreds of billion Euros in these countries, in particular Ireland.

Europe awaits the decision, probably around 1pm UK time.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Watching the lunchtime news to hear any news on the vote motion, but was shown pictures of reckless, mindless no gooders, probably nothing to do with the real strike, wrecking buildings both internally and externally. Such places as McDonalds (I know we have our own thoughts on this company, but put aside for now). Do they not realise by doing this they are putting more people out of work in a time when people want to earn as much as possible. It does not help the cause, nor will it help Greece, as with the main strike. More to follow.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Ive a friend at work who was going to book a last minute holiday to Greece on my say so , shes told me she wont go now after seeing the news , i think shes being a bit too worried about things , but shes going else where :shock: :shock:

DaveD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by DaveD » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:21 pm

That just means...more Ouso & Retsina for us all to drink. drinks

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Erm!!!!! no ... im leaving none at all ha ha ha drinks drinks drinks