Comparitive Airport Charges (Taxes) Around The Country

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comparitive Airport Charges (Taxes) Around The Country

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Below is a list of Airport Charges (Taxes) from around the country for flights taken in August 2008. The charge is per person on a Return Ticket.

I obtained the details from this Site http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/offers.jsp?ito=2920 just so that you can verify the details.

My thoughts are that if any of you share my views on the differentials between various Airports we can concoct a story to put pressure on the more expensive ones to reduce their prices and thus make our method of travel cheaper.

I would suggest that if any of you recognise your own Airport in the list that you find out the e-mail addy of their General Manager and send them a copy of this list and explain to them that because of cheaper options elsewhere you are being forced to travel further afield for your flights to get competetive prices.

By making these comparitive prices on the face of it it doesn't look as if here in Bristol we are paying so much more than elsewhere. Could it be a case of maybe Corfu Airport being the expensive one?

This took quite a while to research so, does anybody else fancy doing a similar comparison of prices for Corfu (where available) for these Airports?

Airport Charges – August 2008.

Aberdeen
Belfast - Faro - £57.79
Birmingham - Faro - £55.51
Bournemouth - Faro - £49.60
Bristol - Faro - £62.64
Cardiff - Faro - £52.32
Coventry - Faro - £47.51
Doncaster - Faro - £46.95
Durham - Alicante - £107.80
East Midlands - Alicante - £44.88
Exeter - Faro - £62.46
Glasgow - Faro - £38.73
Humberside - Faro - £59.40
Inverness - Palma - £28.04
Leeds - Faro - £59.60
Liverpool - Ibiza - £41.95
London Gatwick - Faro - £26.00
London Luton - Palma - £34.29
London Stansted - Faro - £53.10
Manchester - Faro - £47.08
Newcastle - Faro - £42.84
Norwich - Palma - £44.81
Southampton - Palma - £33.11

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Comparitive Airport Charges (Taxes) Around The Country

Post by Chris » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 am

Already in hand Roger. Started last night, will finish of today.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:07 pm

At the request of Roger I took on the task of carrying out Ticket and Taxation Costs for flights only to Corfu from London and Regional Airports. The following link was used for this survey:

THOMPSON FLY BOOKINGS

You will see that I have gathered a similar scenario as did Roger found with flights to Spain and Portugal. In my survey I have given the ticket cost, taxation, total costs, and the airport owners. I think the latter has a bearing on prices. Airports marked NA, do not list flights to Corfu, or at least with this company.

Airport - Ticket Cost - Taxes - Total - Airport Owners

Aberdeen - NA - NA - NA - BAA
Belfast - NA - NA - NA - BIL
Birmingham - 199.64 - 49.34 - 248.98 - BIAL
Bournemouth - NA - NA - NA - MAG
Bristol - 242.51 - 71.47 - 313.98 - SWAL
Cardiff - 242.51 - 71.47 - 313.98 - TBI Plc
Coventry - NA - NA - NA - CCC
Doncaster - 218.03 - 50.95 - 268.98 - PAG
Durham - NA - NA - NA - PAG
East Midlands - 197.95 - 51.03 - 248.98 - MAG
Edinburgh - NA - NA - NA - BAA

Exeter - 332.69 - 56.29 - 388.98 - RCA(E)
Glasgow - 171.42 - 47.56 - 218.98 - BAA
Humberside - NA - NA - NA - MAG
Inverness - NA - NA - NA - I&HAL
Leeds Bradford - 205.55 - 53.43 - 258.98 - LBAL
Liverpool - 162.60 - 56.38 - 218.98 - PAG

Gatwick - 142.51 - 46.47 - 188.98 - BAA
Luton - 172.18 - 46.80 - 218.98 - LLOA
Stansted - 222.05 - 61.93 - 283.98 - BAA
Manchester - 179.07 - 49.95 - 229.02 - MAG
Newcastle - 297.31 - 51.67 - 348.98 - NIA
Norwich - 249.74 - 59.24 - 308.98 - NAL
Southampton - NA - NA - NA - BAA

Exeter showing to be the most expensive, with Gatwick the cheapest in overall costs. However, Cardiff shows the most expensive taxations, where as Gatwick again is the cheapest.

It shows on both accounts that the BAA Airport is by far the cheapest overall and on taxation using Thomsonfly. I wonder if this will change now that BAA are in the process of selling of all but 2 of their airports, which include Gatwick.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:24 pm

I have today forwarded a letter to the Bournemouth International Airport on many matters, including Tax Charges. In my survey above, Thomsonfly do not fly from Bournemouth to Corfu, but Taxes to other destinations are high, and increase the cost of some flight considerably.

I am at a loss as to why local airports do not encourage passengers to fly locally.

It is ironic that I can get on a National Express Coach from a stop not far from me, to Gatwick for £37 return. OK, on the return journey I miss the last coach down, but it is only a 4 hour wait for the next one. This with a flight for £188.98, total cost, £225.98, I would say that is a good price, and not really awkward on the travel front. This is cheaper than all the airport costs, with the exception of Glasgow and Liverpool, but then I would have to get to them first.

As much as I would love to use my local airport to Corfu, it looks like Gatwick still remains the best offer. Unless I can persuade Thomsonfly to fly to Corfu from Bournemouth, or get the Manchester Airport Authority to connect Bournemouth and Manchester (same company), I could go for the £229.02 flight.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:46 pm

I too have sent an e-mail to Bristol Airport today and anyone wishing to, may cosider using it as the basis for any correspondence they might send to their Airport.

See below;

Dear Sirs.

I Attach two files that I have created from my research of Airport Taxes and Prices from around the UK.

You will see that the Airport Fees being charged to the customers at Bristol is in most cases higher than the rest of the country. It will probably not surprise to you hear that my family, along with many others, have been arranging our flights from other Airports around the UK offering these lower prices. The figure were obtained from this Internet Site http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/offers.jsp?ito=2920.

I have taken the trouble to inform you of this as I feel we should all support the services that are available to us nearer to our home and thus strive for their survival, profitability and continued employment prospects within the area.

I feel that with this information you may be able to reconsider your Strategies and Policies relating to Airport Service Costs (Taxes) and thus increase the amount of traffic using Bristol International Airport and ensure it's obviously increased Profits.

Regards

Roger Blake

Rog