Holiday Cost's

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

Al
Admin
Admin

Holiday Cost's

Post by Al » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi All

I have been looking around on a few tour company web site and I have done a few costings also, now please bear in mind I worked this out for my family and I flying from Bristol to Corfu of course now the holiday is for Two Adults and Two Children, 1st child age 9 and 2nd child aged 13,, now this was based on flying out of Bristol on the
20th July 2009 and returning on the 3rd Aug 2009

I have searched for this Holiday in three ways...

Accommodation Only Costs. (Web Site 1)

Accommodation and Flight (Web Site 1)

Flight only (Web Site 2)

All this information has come from two web sites, now for the purpose of the post we will call it web site 1 and web site 2.

So I searched web site 1 and found the accommodation I wanted to book and I did this for accommodation only...Please see below >>

http://www.holidaycorfu.org/site_pictures/accom.jpg

And on the same site you asked if you require flights for your holiday, so I put the dates in and this is what I got back >>

http://www.holidaycorfu.org/site_pictures/accflight.jpg

I decided that I would go direct to the web site of the same company that web site 1 uses for flights, I entered the same dates and times as I did on web site 1, but this time it was for Flight Only >>

http://www.holidaycorfu.org/site_pictur ... htonly.jpg

Now from all this you can see for your self the total difference in price costing.
I have to ask myself why is it that on web site 1, the accommodation and flight costing you seem to be paying far more for charges ????

Now if you book the accommodation only from web site 1 then you go to web site 2 and book your flights you will pay far less for your holiday and yet you are booking the same Holiday and Flights then if you booked it all on web site 1 ???

I am now asking myself why and how do the all the big holiday companies get away with charging us all so much of our hard earned cash for a "package holiday"

Why are we paying so much for "Fuel Supplements" ...when aviation fuel is a lot "Cheaper" than the fuel for our cars etc

I would be interested to hear your views on this, have you experienced the same ?
What are your findings, I'm sure everyone would be interested to see

Regards

Al 8)

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Holiday Cost's

Post by Chris » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:27 pm

These are very interesting figures Al, and someone somewhere is making a lot of money. I too have found this when I have done a similar search using multiple websites. It is ridiculous that the difference can be more than 100% between Flights & Accommodation, against Flights Only and Accommodation Only.

This has to be one of the reasons as to why the business is being ruined by such people as the big Travel Agents/Tour Operators.

When I look at companies like Corfu Escape, I wonder how they manage with such cheap prices, although they do not go from every airport. I think through the winter months, when the new brochures online start appearing it would be worth picking out dates of when would be going to Corfu and do a similar analysis as Al as done, and post them up to the forum. The analysis will be from your local airport, or nearest, (1) Flight Only, (2) Accommodation Only (3) Package Deal.

Should be worth seeing and good reading.

Yeiamas, Chris

MojitoJo

Post by MojitoJo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 am

Hi Al,

My family and myself had the same problem this year with the total price of our holiday, it was shockingly more expensive than last year and also we booked it through a reputable Travel Company (last year we booked online and had a disastrous holiday and didnt want a repeat performance this year) so that if anything went wrong we were safe in the knowledge we would be well looked after.
After arriving at our hotel and speaking to other families staying there, we found out that we paid at least an extra £2000 more than everyone else
. Its quite gutting really as we paid for the same holiday at the same hotel and around the same time last year £2.600 this year we paid just under £4,000.......

Jo :)

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 am

I can remember you telling us about your holiday of 2007, in particular of the last minute changes, forced to take a holiday at the other end of the island, arriving to no hotel, having to make your own way up to Sidari, etc etc, it was horrendous.

Quite rightly so, you did to ensure it does not happen again, go back to the normal way of booking, but alas the prices shoot up.

This is further proof in my findings that the holiday companies which ever way you book have you by the short and curlies. You either take a chance, or you pay the price. There is no intermediate way.

Doing my research I have found, although far and few between, there are holiday companies out there who will give a brilliant service, but at the cheaper price, but it is a case of searching which some of us do not have time to do. Alas this maybe the thing of the future to do now to ensure we get what we want.

Thanks for the price comparisons Jo. I am looking forward to seeing more prices for next year, to compare to prices from this year.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:16 am

In my humble opinion the best way to travel and holiday in Corfu is by the independant method. This way you will guarantee a brilliant service at an acceptable price to the Corfiote Hotelliers and yourself.

To do this successfully you must obviously find what to you is the equivelant of Paradise on Earth, a place that you couldn't imagine being away from for over a year. Remember, having made this decision it is going to be your "Home Away From Home" for two weeks of the year for the next twenty, thirty or hopefully forty years.

I can guarantee that the owners of the Hotel you select will be forever friends with you and treat you like a member of their own family and you in turn will come to look upon them as members of your own extended family. You will share in their hapiness, disapointments and sadness and they will come to know your family and friends almost as well as you do.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Oz

I don't know about your experience but the way it seems to us is that it becomes almost an embarressment to our friends to take the money. We have more arguments about how much he charges us (or at least we did untill Spyro told us he wouldn't have us back if we kept on questioning it).

We even have arguments when we try to take them out for a meal. They accept the invitation but when it comes to paying the argument starts again. On one occasion Spyros Father Nico actually chased me round a table when I had got Sue to distract him so that I could pay.

As I said before we feel that there is only one place on the Island to stay and we wouldn't ever consider going anywhere else.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:10 pm

I agree with you entirely Roger, and wish it could be true for everyone. This is something you and Sue have been doing for a long time, but there are those who have not been going to Corfu for as long, and have chosen to go package.

As many of us do, after a while we decide to give the independent way a go, and up until now it has been OK. However in light of recent matters such as the demise of XL, and no doubt more airlines in times to come, taking with them more holiday companies, the number of independent holidays I feel will drop. Why, because of the insurance. Not everyone purchases a holiday by Credit Card, but save and pay, or pay by installments over a year. Some choose a company without insurance via ATOL to save a few pounds. Up until now it has been no problem, but I think the shock of XL has taught a lot of people lessons.

I can see the package deals increasing, although the prices will increase, but the passenger will want that insurance that if things do go wrong they are safe. No one saw the XL problem coming, and it is likely that the next one will not either. As long as we have Oil Price increases (the barrel has gone up again), food increases, etc, then the price of holidays will rise also.

A big rethink needs to be had on holidays. For instant, airlines doing flight only should be ATOL protected, or some sort of other insurance brought into prospective. Insurance companies should look into an insurance to cover this so passengers are more comfortable to travel.

Surely if as you say Roger you stay with the same people each year, and pay as required on arrival, then your flight must be flight only. No doubt protected by your Credit Card. I wonder how long Credit Cards will take the brunt of other companies mistakes and problems. Worth thinking about really.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:42 pm

On the subject of insurance what we tend to do is take out an Annual Insurance Policy. This covers us for the odd trip here and there to my Sister in Law in France and our visits to Corfu (twice last year). We find they are less interested in the question of age, which applies to me now being over 65. They are also snapping your hands off for the business for the small additional surcharge.

Last year it cost us £174 for Sue and Myself for an annual policy compared to £74 for us both for one holiday this year. So, if you think of it last year we took four holidays and paid a £174 premium average cost per holiday £43.50 per holiday, this year we took just the one holiday and paid £74 average £74.

So in our case it was worth taking the Annual Policy.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:06 pm

I appreciate that Roger, and you have some good deals there. However the insurance I refer to is what you would claim on if another XL matter happened. For instance, say your holiday you had this month in Corfu was with XL, flight only, which you had booked online. Because it was a flight only you would not have been ATOL covered therefore not liable for a claim to refund your money or your holiday. If you also had not paid by Credit Card, you would not been able to claim back.

The Travel insurance you refer to is for loss of baggage, flight delays, loss of money, injuries, etc, but not the collapse of an airline.

This is what I am referring to, for those who booked flight only, and paid by cash or cheque, or Debit Card, so had no insurance to claim back and lost.

This is why I think the independent holiday may, may take a plunge next year, for visitors to anywhere to be on the safe side.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 am

Chris

This situation you refer to also applies to Goods and Services.

If you buy anything with a guarantee or warranty and the company go bust the situation is the same. We don't stop buying TV's, Vacuum Cleaners or similar items just cos' they might go bust and we'd lose the Backup Service neither do we insure ourselves against such matters.

Sadly this is all part of lifes rich tapestry you buy something and you take your chance. They go bust and you lose out it's a shame but these things happen. I feel sorry for people in this sort of situation. It happened to us when Lancaster went thro' the hoop so I know what it feels like.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 am

I am sorry Roger, I have to disagree with you on this matter. How often do you buy a television, vacuum cleaners etc. Invariably if you buy such items, and the retailer goes out of business you can get these sort of things fixed, repaired at reasonable prices. Which I expect we have all done so in the past.

However with holidays it has to be a different kettle of fish mate. If you are in Corfu, or any resort on holiday and your company you are using goes out of business overnight without prior warning, and you are not ATOL protected because you are flight only, or you did not pay via Credit Card, then you are in a position where you will have to pay out for extra accommodation, return flight, or a complete new holiday, or lose the lot. Now if you are prepared to accept that and take the chance then that is your prerogative. However a large number of holidaymakers can only afford one holiday a year, and probably save for that year (I have done in the past, from the day we got back of another).

These are the people who book a holiday trying to keep within their budget and may book away not realising they are not covered. Or, how many users knew or was aware that XL and all its subsidiary companies were about to go under. NONE.

In my opinion we have to be more and more aware of this, because it will happen again unless there is a huge turn around in the economy. What happened with XL is another nail in the coffin, which may or may not make people think about holidaying abroad. Numbers drop, competition gets bigger, and bang there goes another one. It is something we ALL have to watch for. We have already seen prices shoot up for next year. Oil prices by the barrel have gone back up, the troubles in the USA will have a knock on effect to us all.

Everyone to their own, but I am not prepared to lose money, therefore I need that assurance if this should happen again. That is why I think insurance companies should cease making fat wage packets for themselves, and give a little leeway and offer individual insurances against travel companies, specially those not protected by such groups as ATOL.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:27 am

Chris

We have to recognise that these Insurance Companies are in the business for the self same reason that you, I and everone else work, namely to make money. If any of us find a way to make more for doing less then invariably we will and it's the same with businesses. None of them are doing what they do for our benefit. At the end of the day the prime mover in the game is money and the more they can make and the lower the risk or effort the better as far they are concerned.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Roger, I think we are on different tracks here mate. I am not worried who and what makes money. What I am trying to get across is the fact that prices will rise whilst we are in this economic climate. In light of the XL matter, what I am saying is that people should not lose out because of a company who does not watch what they are doing. However, people should be a ware more so now that without ATOL cover, or insurance from Credit Card payments they will lose a holiday. It has happened with XL, it has happened with GoldenSun in 2004, and it will happen again. If you or anyone chooses to buy a flight only ticket with out ATOL cover, or with out cover from your Credit Card, then so be it, but I certainly would not like to, and could not afford to lose a holiday so I would make sure I had the right cover even if it meant paying a little more. It has nothing to do with companies making money, it is having that peace of mind.

Like I said in a previous post. You and Sue have brought a flight only ticket costing £500 - £600 for the two of you. It is flight only, so not ATOL protected. You paid by Debit Card, so have no insurance on that. The company you booked through Etsiketsi Travel goes bust as part of a larger company. This happens two or three weeks before you go. What happens. You have lost the lot. No one can give you the money back, no one can give you another holiday. It is gone.

As I said you maybe happy with the way you sort your holidays out, and fair play to you, but others are not so fortunate, and as you know, many lost out completely.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Sylvia,
Wonderful to hear from you, I must admit was getting a bit worried, but considered you and Kelvin would be busy with a lot of things. Glad to hear form you.

Like you I had friends and relatives who got caught up in the XL problem. My sister and her husband were already on holiday and was ATOL protected, so although they had an extra day or two on holiday, they got back OK. Likewise my friends had gone flight only, and paid by Credit Card, and had to wait again for 2 or 3 days to get a return flight home. Both were saved by the ATOL or their own Credit Cards. How long will Credit Cards keep this up. Up until the XL demise I would say that Credit Cards had not had to pay out like they did over those few weeks since. Can they afford it if it happens again.

We all like to go independent, but the days of being secure in the knowledge that all is well is absent from us for the time being. We have already been told that BA, First Choice, Thomson and Thomas Cook are the main airlines, with Ryanair and Easyjet to cover the no frills, and cheap tickets (well cheapish), seeing Easyjet tickets I have my doubts. Anyway this still leaves a list of airlines that are vulnerable. So the emphasis is making sure you have that insurance, NOT Travel Insurance, but insured as the likes of ATOL or by using a Credit Card.

Everything is a sad state of affairs at the moment as we know. Lets hope it sorts itself out in time to come. Sadly not in the too distant future.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi Bruce, nice to see you mate. Sadly and unfortunately it is people like yourselves who will feel it more than most. Even I will just being on my Naval Pension. I think it was Al who was saying that is normal tickets are approximately £2000 for him, his wife and two girls, but for 2009 it will nearly be £3500. That is a big mark up and increase on the price.

You mentioned Easyjet. When they started the Corfu run after taking over from GB Airways, they were offering prices at something like under £50 according to the website. I can remember going through the motions of booking tickets for every month from March to October, and they were all coming in at £300 mark. How do they do that. So what is it going to be like next year.

Anyway, I am sorting out a drive down for next year. I will have three seats available, if anyone interested. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Chris

When are you planning to drive down next year? If Sue could get the time off I'm sure we could be interested in joining you and splitting the costs. Let me know when you are planning to go and for how long and I'll have a chat to Sue about it.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi Roger.

Decisions have to be made, and lots of them mate. I am waiting on a couple of friends who have done, or is doing the trip to get as much information as I can. Things like stop overs. One can do Venice in a day, but that would be too much. Our plan is to take two or three days down, and likewise back, with two weeks on Corfu. It is truly in the planning stages at the moment Roger, but as we find things out we will weigh up the pros and cons as they say. Should be quite an adventure. As far as price goes, some say it is the same as flying, but I am not sure of that, obviously the more that can go the better it is all round.

Will keep you and the forum posted as they say.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Chris

OK mate I'll wait to see what you decide to do.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:05 pm

The following news article was taken from the BBC News online reports, dated, 27th November.

TUI Travel Reports jump in Profits

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... 548_-6.jpg

Europe's biggest travel firm, TUI Travel, has said its full-year pre-tax profit rose 43% to £319.7m ($489.5m) as a result of cost cuts. The group was created last year through the merger of German operator TUI AG and Britain's First Choice. It said its profit margins improved after it cut loss-making flights and sold fewer holidays at higher prices. It added that winter bookings were going well despite a 10% increase in average prices due to reduced capacity. "Our customers continue to regard their main holiday as an essential, not a luxury, which they are reluctant to forgo," said TUI Travel's chief executive Peter Long. He also said that it has seen promising signs in early trading for the summer of 2009 in a further indication that the company is resilient to the economic downturn. TUI Travel plans to implement further post-merger cost-saving measures worth 175m euros (£146m), 16% more than its previous target.

If they are still making profits after cost cuts, lets hope they continue to send the costs cuts down to the customer.

Yeiamas,

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:06 pm

In addition to the above the Travel Industry reported on the Financial News this morning that there had been down turns in the holiday trade across the board due to the dollar and the euro against the pound. In the past year the dollar has gone from $2.01 down to less than $1.40, likewise the euro had gone from €1.40 down to todays rate of €1.18. It was also reported that holidays were down by 5%, and holiday prices were up by 6%. The reporter was recommending going all inclusive for 2009. We were also warned to see more increases in holiday prices for 2009, before the brochures start to appear, and the season begins.

Yeiamas, Chris