Holiday Cost's

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Holiday Cost's

Post by Chris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:05 pm

ABTA are supporting the UK Treasury to reduce or remove APD which is being promoted by the Travel Trade Gazzette. If you want to add your support to this move, which would effectively reduce the cost of all flights from the UK, you can do so by adding your name to the petition.

AIR PASSENGER DUTY PETITION

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:33 pm

As published in the Greek national press, yesterday, airport charges at Corfu's Kapodistrias airport have been abolished temporarily by the Tourism Development Minister, from April until September. The savings for tour operators will amount to 10 - 12 euros per person carried. Not known if this is for a single journey or each way. If this will filter down to holidaymakers is not known yet, but it would seem reasonable to demand from tour operators with immediate effect, to reduce all quoted prices to the customer. This reduction is for the benefit of visitors to Corfu and is not being introduced to increase operator's profits.

All we need now is to get the UK government to follow suit. Great news if we the customer receive the reduction. However, I fear the airlines and tour operators will look upon it as a good deal and not for the weary traveler.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Signed it .. let see if we get our money back .. doubt it thought .maybe next year but then the prices of the flights will have gone up again , or worse still lower the baggage allowance even further :sad: :sad:

z1ppee

Post by z1ppee » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Al wrote:Hi All

I have been looking around on a few tour company web site and I have done a few costings also, now please bear in mind I worked this out for my family and I flying from Bristol to Corfu of course now the holiday is for Two Adults and Two Children, 1st child age 9 and 2nd child aged 13,, now this was based on flying out of Bristol on the
20th July 2009 and returning on the 3rd Aug 2009

Regards

Al 8)
Hi Al,
My tribe - MIL, OH, Me & kids 17,15 & 12 are flying from Bristol to/from Corfu on exactly the same dates! maybe see you at the airport .
Only another 13 and half weeks till our hols, getting excited now :grin:

regards
Anne

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi z1ppee (Anne)

Due to a few problems we had to cancel our flight much to our disappointment and
our friends in Corfu.

So sadly we wont be on the same flight :sad: :sad: :sad:

Do you live in Bristol ? if so which part,, we live in the Kingswood / warmley area.

Would have looked forward to meeting up you and your family at the airport for morning coffee and a chat before flying.
What part of the Island you staying ?

Regards

Al

z1ppee

Post by z1ppee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:40 pm

hi Al
we don't live in Bristol, we will be travelling from South Wales (nr Swansea) to get the flight.
Staying in Paleokastritsa :grin:

regards
Anne

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi z1ppee

Wow......Mum was from Neath, and my sister still lives there :grin:

Al

z1ppee

Post by z1ppee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Al wrote:Hi z1ppee

Wow......Mum was from Neath, and my sister still lives there :grin:

Al
Small world......that's where we live (Tonna to be precise). Husband's family all from Neath, but I'm an immigrant being a Londoner :grin:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Flight Costs

Post by Chris » Fri May 01, 2009 11:15 am

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY SIMON, ERROR IN MOVING.

Im sure this has been done many times here before, so please excuse me for bringing it up again. but....

After a very poor year in business terms, and the general state of the Pound ect ect, I have cancelled my July holiday and all but written off any chance of any Greek holiday this year, but, just out of curiosity today - I decided to have a wee peep at on-line flight prices for the back end of the season, just to see if there were any bargains going and I was shocked !

Machester - Corfu for a week - on Monarch with a not - so good flight time ( getting you in late afternoon ) for 3 - just a few coppers short of £900 Quid !!!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: :oops:

Tried Easyjet..... Even more stupid flight time - arrives about midnight :evil: :evil: :lol: again for 3 of us - looks a bargain at prices from £ 79 one way - till you actually add on the return fare, the ( and this is a new one on me ) " Lugagge" fare, the tax, the "quick boarding ( ha ha )" the reserved seat charge, and what ever other hidden extras they never mention at the time of advertising ! :twisted: ... grrr - and you get a meal-less - naff time flight for not that far short of £700 for 3

All of which leaves me back at square one..... sadly look like its Corfu on hold for another year... :cry: unless my luck changes.

SIMON

Nige

Post by Nige » Fri May 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Simon, why dont you do a mix n match between Easyjet, Thomas Cook and Thomsons?? I'm going with Thomsons but coming back with Thomas Cook. Just find the cheapest one way fare from Manc and for the return journey, Simple!! Saved us about £190! :razz: :razz:

Nige...

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Sun May 03, 2009 10:34 am

Anne

Where abouts in Paleo are you staying? Whilst you are there take a bit of time out and take and pay a visit to Liapades it's only about a ten minute drive away. Whilst you are there pop in to the Liapades Beach / Cricketers Taverna for a drink and tell them that Rog and Susannah (thats what they call my wife Sue) sent you and to give you a drink on me. They'll really make you welcome.

I guarantee you won't regret it. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a drink

Rog

Nige

Post by Nige » Sun May 03, 2009 10:45 am

Anne, Liapades is a beautiful little resort, well worth the short drive from Paleo. Check out this link to the village.

http://www.liapades-bliss.com/

Nige...

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Mon May 04, 2009 10:44 am

Spartacus wrote:Simon, sorry to hear that - hope you manage to find something affordable for this year.

I learned a month ago I was being made redundant, so it was a real toss up as to whether or not we paid the balance of our holiday (Meganissi this year) or just pull the plug on the whole thing and write off the deposit.

In the end we decided we needed the holiday, so I'm just hoping I find some work or it could be the last one for a while!

Life without the annual Ionian "fix" just wouldn't be the same.

I had the same problem, The day after I paid the balance we found out my husband is being made redundant, so we weren't sure whether to cancel and keep the spending money to help us, or just go on holiday.

So we decided we had worked hard all year saving for this, so we are going and we will worry about jobs when we get home.

We're going in 4 days to Sidari .... can't wait :grin:

Jenny69

Post by Jenny69 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi. I just booked this morning to go to Sidare Village in Sidari, Corfu for me and my partner. £708 all inclusive. Last year we went to Tingaki in Kos, self catering and it cost £750! And then we spent probably 700 on food and drink. With the credit crunch and all we thought it better to pay a bit more and go all in and not have to worry about food bills but I was shocked that I could get there cheaper. And this place has got really good reviews too. First time in Corfu but it looks lovely from the pics.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon May 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Jenny.

Firstly welcome once again to the Holiday Corfu Forum. See New Members topic.

It does look like you have a great deal with your choice of the Sidari Village. I should not worry too much about being All Inclusive, you can always opt out for a meal one or two evenings during your stay. I can assure you it will be well worth it. My sister went to Kos one year, and I introduced her to Corfu, and she found the same, much cheaper, and a lot more for your money. Never did find out why.

I have given you a web link to look at, which might be of interest to you, click on this, SIDARI AND VILLAGE. This will give you some idea of what is on offer in Sidari, and the booking of trips and excursions.

Look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Yeiamas, Chris

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Mon May 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi hellsbells & Jenny69

Hellsbells

We hope you & your family have a fantastic Holiday, look forward to reading you review on your return,
and maybe a picture to displayed in the Gallery :dup:
If you decide to add a photo or two to the Gallery PM me First and I will make sure I add new folders for 2009
have a great time.

Jenny69

Sounds like you found a great deal there :grin: , When do you travel ?
I'm sure you will more than enjoy your first time in Corfu.
Again look forward to hearing about your travels

Have a Great Time All :grin: :dup: :grin:

Regards

Al :cool:

Jenny69

Post by Jenny69 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi Chris. Thanks for the heads up! So glad I changed my mind about Benidorm now! I changed my mind and chose Sidari cos my sis in law went there on honeymoon and she said it was the best place she had been.

Hi Al, we go on June 13th (well fly out late on June 12th, night flight...nitemare!) But possibly why it was a bit cheaper too. Cant wait to go now. So looking forward to it.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed May 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Glad to be of assistance. For more information please take a look through our Sidari section. There is lots of information there for you. If you have any more questions please asked them in the Sidari Forum for a better response. Speak soon.

Yeiamas, Chris

z1ppee

Post by z1ppee » Sun May 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Etsiketsi wrote:Anne

Where abouts in Paleo are you staying? Whilst you are there take a bit of time out and take and pay a visit to Liapades it's only about a ten minute drive away. Whilst you are there pop in to the Liapades Beach / Cricketers Taverna for a drink and tell them that Rog and Susannah (thats what they call my wife Sue) sent you and to give you a drink on me. They'll really make you welcome.

I guarantee you won't regret it. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a drink

Rog
Thanks Rog, we are staying at Angels Pool in Paleo. Have just managed to sort car hire for 4 days so may well check out Liapades during that time, alternatively I understand it is possible to walk between the two places - do you know how long this is likely to take & how do we access the route? Also is this likely to be difficult for husband's 71yr old mother to manage -she's reasonably fit, if a little slow walking.

regards
Anne

z1ppee

Post by z1ppee » Sun May 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Nige wrote:Anne, Liapades is a beautiful little resort, well worth the short drive from Paleo. Check out this link to the village.

http://www.liapades-bliss.com/

Nige...
Thanks for the link Nige. Lipiades looks great, will definitely have to visit :grin:

Anne