Magoulades Torpedo

Ask a question regarding Arillas or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magoulades Torpedo

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:00 pm

I have been looking at a number of Corfu stories over the past day or so, and came across a small piece about the Torpedo that is set up on the village square in Magoulades, a village set between Arillas and Paleokastritsa. Having researched a bit more I have been unable to shed any light on as to where the torpedo came from and why. Can anyone give any help on this. Being ex Navy, I am keen to find out.

Yeiamas, Chris

http://micheleroth.de/assets/images/image015.jpg

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Magoulades Torpedo

Post by Al » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Chris

You don't think it came from one of those Airfix Kits ???

After building the Torpedo they realised that the boat it fits on won't fit in their bedroom so gave up???

1mnewhere :ooops: 1mnewhere

Regards

Al 8)

Davey-Boy

Post by Davey-Boy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 pm

There was a torpedo spotted 4 miles inland in March 2008 by the side of the Builder's track in Aspiotades that the Blog Author said had disappeared the following day ! What's a 14' long rusty torpedo doing up a hill 4 miles from the sea ?

Yamass

Dave

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Corfu has had some serious rough weather of late. May have got washed up. Seriously, during WW2, many Torpedo Boats and Submarines were on operational tasks around the Greek Islands, in particular from Italy, and the German Navy. Although I have not found much information, some of it points to the fact that the torpedoes were washed up ashore, or fired from the craft but did not detonate, and then were taken and hidden by locals. In the case of the one above, at a later date was removed from its hiding, and displayed as a monument of some sort.

If anyone should visit this village, I would appreciate if they could find out some local history, or if there is any plaques that give any indication as to where it originated from.

Thanks Davy-Boy for your input.

Yeiamas, Chris

starbugg

Post by starbugg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Hello, i have recently returned from corfu and saw the aformentioned torpedo, i cannot agree with the WW2 theory as the metal plate ID plate on the devise read "GMbh" (german) and a date of 1964 (cold war maybe) hmmm very curious

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:10 pm

GMbH, they own Lidl's and Aldi's. Perhaps it was a proposed site for the first Lidl's on Corfu. :dup: :grin: :dup:

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:20 pm

All,

Just been to Corfu and have extensively photgraphed this torpedo.
It is of German manufacture and dated 1964

Serial Number and model / type all easily visible.

But as to why and how and when and what for, haven't got a clue !!

Regards

Pugwash

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm

[img]home/andrew/AJD%20photos%20-%20ACER/FinePixZ35/Corfu%20June%20July%20%202011/DSCF0234.JPG[/img]

does anyone know how to append a photo ?

Thanks

Pugwash

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Pugwash

You could upload the image to the Gallery or you could open an account on one of those image storage sites like tinypic / imageshack
then link to the image and it will display in the forums.

Or if you run into problems email me the Image and I will upload it to the gallery for you

Will need

Image name
Short description

All the Best

Al :comp:

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm

All,

If you go to GALLERY at top of the page, and select 'Others' one of the two photos is the Manufacturers name plate for the Magoulades Torpedo.
Built as we have established in Keil Germany in 1964.
Why
What's the connection
etc

Can possibly link more pics if required - better if you send me your e-mail address, simpler !

Pugwash