Mosquito Enquiry and other details

Ask a question regarding Benitsas or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

janmanessi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Mosquito Enquiry and other details

Post by janmanessi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm

a Corfiote friend who has come to UK for a week told me today that she had come to get some good weather as it had been raining and cold in Corfu all week and is beautiful in England.......hope for all the visitors sakes that it cheers up soon.

I don't use any mozzie repellent,. luckily they aren't too fond of me- but I always keep a fan on at night- blowing across the open window- the breeze from the fan blows them back out- nothing worse than that infuriating buzzing- and then it stops and you know it has landed, but where?????

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Have to say you are very brave to sleep with the windows open :shock: god id be eaten alive lol , well they never used to bite me at all only form a couple of years ago it started and i still use all the autan , the spray for my room the plug ins , dont leave my windows open after dusk , and yet they bite me in the morning when im out for rolls and milk, i thought it was something else biting my ankles but the Greeks insist its the female mossie ,i always thought they were only out after dusk , the Greeks have assured me they are always around , so it looks like autan on in the morning as well and they bite me at the pool grrrrrrrr :ddown:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Susie. As in the case with most species, it is only the female that bites (in this case, the Mosquito), :grin: :dup: :grin: . Unlike some species of Mosquito which do only interfere with the human form at dusk, in the case of the Corfu (Greek) Mosquito, this I am afraid is not the case. I find, including the remedies I have mentioned earlier, to be close to the sea water and beaches. They seem to be less of them, if not none.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Chris well some people deserve to be bitten :grin: well im going to Kefalonia this year so maybe they wont bite me , i need a change i love Corfu but getting a bit fed up so trying somewhere new Ag Efimia this time :suun:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Have you ever visited Zakynthos (Zante) Susie. I would recommend it, specially at the northern end such as Alykes, or Agios Nikolas. (you can see Kefalonia from there). We loved it. Beautiful long narrow beach with lots of beach tavernas and restaurants, one long street with more tavernas, and a few bars. Most of the hotels are on the outskirts of the village/town, but in walking distance. No taxes, and only two buses a day into Zakynthos Town. However, to get back to the hotels rather than walking, or if you want to go to the next villages for nights out, you can use the many horse and carriages. A novelty in itself.

As I said, we loved it. Plenty to do, lots of excursions and tours, boat trips etc. A very very slow relaxing pace. We did the same one year, went there for a change from Corfu. And it was worth it.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Chris , no have to say ive never fancied it for some reason , i dont like hotels either , its a personal thing , just dont like to see the hotels in the landscape ,i may go at some point but i want to go to Paxos and Santorini first then Loggos and Meganissi , but thanks for the info :suun:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Did not explain myself really. They are not big hotels. Small but nice. Lots of private accommodation, villas and such like. It is a nice place, lots of history about the place. Go in August for St Dionosys Day, what a day out that is.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 pm

Do you dread the annual feast of the Mosquitoes when on holiday, then fear no more, Aldi Stores have come to the rescue again with their "Bug Zapper", at £4.99. For more details, see the following link:

THE BUG ZAPPER