Mosquito Enquiry and other details

Ask a question regarding Benitsas or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

PaddyOkane

Mosquito Enquiry and other details

Post by PaddyOkane » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Heading your way on the 19th. for 2 weeks. Just joined the forum today.
What's the best protection for the Mosquito. Have been to corfu before and I am staying in the argo Apts. with Spiro and Ann (lovely people) It's 4 years since I was there and before that around 30 years, thats when I got to know Spiro when he had a small Taverna on the beach.

Thanks.
Paddy

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Mosquito Enquiry and other details

Post by mitera » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi paddy, for me i only use Autan , i have tried other stuff it doesnt work for me ..Superdrug are doing 3 for two just now as its around £5 50 p a tin thats not a bad saving , buy the tins of spray they cover best , i use plug ins at night before i go out ,you buy the wee tablets when you get there and just before i leave at night to go out i spray each roonm with mossie spray also bought locally ,after my shower i spray all over with the Autan (i smell lovely ..not ) :lol: :lol: dont care hate getting bitten , and never leave the doors or windows open after dusk , if you sit on the balcony buy a spireli you get them cheap enough , seems a lot of trouble to go to but i dont even wear my perfume i leave it at home :sad: but its much worse and more miserable if you get bites . oh and i buy suntan lotion for my legs with insect repellent for the day as other wee beasties can bite ... blimey its a wonder any can survive at all when im out :lol: :lol: have a great holiday :cool: :cool: Susie .

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:16 pm

These days Paddy, unlike our first visits, there are many products on the market to help against the dreaded mosquito bites. A lot of people highly recommend the Avon Skin so Soft creams, green or pink. My partner uses this as do many friends and swear by it. Some had a few drops of Lavender Oil to it also. Some people use a wrist band, but these are only sold at certain stores. Use of Lavender soap is good, as well as having Lavender Josh Sticks burning in your room, or at the table where you are sat.

I do not take anything of medication. I have enough of that for other problems. I eat a lot of Marmite, moreso when on holiday, such as toast everymorning, maybe at night if in self catering. Marmite has lots of Vitamin B6 which is a good thing against the Mosquito. I also drink lots of Tonic Water, make sure it has real quinine in it, and not a substitute. The quinine is an anti malarial drug.

If you have a fridge in your room at it is not being used as such. Switch it on at night, when cold, leave the door open with a fan in front of it. It really cools the room down, which the mozzies do not like.

If you have anymore queries, do let us know.

Enjoy your holiday in Benitsas. I am sure it will be great to meet up with your friends again. Please tell us all about it on your return, with some nice pictures.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 pm

chris ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MARMITE :shock: :shock: :shock: EEEEEEEEEEEEEK :lol: :lol:

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Paddy

As said above by our very own mitera, Autan is fantastic, a quick spay on exposed skin before going out on an evening
and you wont see any of the little devils.
We also leave two or three electric plug-in's in the room whilst out and replace the tablets on returning or last time we were there we bought the liquid type and did not have to change it at all while we were there these along with the replacement tablets, liquid refill and Autan can be bought locally

Also like Chris has said marmite is very good at deterring mosquito's and before you say ,,,,no you don't spread it on your body lol
A week or so before we go to Corfu we have marmite every morning and evening on toast, and then whilst there we have it every morning on toast for breakfast, a good way of preventing mosquito's

Also take a look here >> ** Mosquito Information **
i spray all over with the Autan (i smell lovely ..not )
A lot cheaper than a bottle of perfume........ Typical Scot anything to save a penny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope it helps Paddy

Happy Holidays

Look forward to hearing how you got on when you return maybe a pic or two for that gallery :dup:

Regards

Al :cool:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 pm

AL ... CHEEKY HUH US Scots arent mean , we just dont want to encourage you lot to come here so its just a con to keep you miserable lot away , :lol: :lol: coco chanel is wasted on the mossies so autan will have to do , but for me it works give it a try , i dont like the others but its personal choice :cool: :cool:

PaddyOkane

Post by PaddyOkane » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks Chris, Susie and Al, for the prompt info. Will blame you if I come home in blisters ha.ha. I see it's pretty hot there at the moment.

Paddy

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Have a great time Paddy , i go on the 15 th to Kassiopi , where are the argo not sure i know them , well take care drink plenty ouzo the mossies hate it .. well thats my excuse :lol: :lol:

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 am

Hi Paddy

Have a great holiday Paddy,, Yes it is hot there at the moment,,drink plenty of water :grin:
I'm sure your going to have a fantastic time, don't forget to let us know how you got on :smile:

mitera
I use Autan all the time mitera when were in Corfu, for us its works really really well !!
I have even used it in this country when I have gone night fishing and it worked wonders :smile: :grin: :smile:

Regards

Nige

Post by Nige » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:27 pm

PaddyOkane wrote:Heading your way on the 19th. for 2 weeks. Just joined the forum today.
What's the best protection for the Mosquito. Have been to corfu before and I am staying in the argo Apts. with Spiro and Ann (lovely people) It's 4 years since I was there and before that around 30 years, thats when I got to know Spiro when he had a small Taverna on the beach.

Thanks.
Paddy
Hey Paddy, we are staying with Spiros and Anne for our 3rd week in July, leave us some beer please! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nige...

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Al. do you get mossies in England :lol: or is it the fish that bite ? you will have to wear longer wellies keep and a balaclava :lol: :cool:

PaddyOkane

Post by PaddyOkane » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Nige wrote:
PaddyOkane wrote:Heading your way on the 19th. for 2 weeks. Just joined the forum today.

Thanks.
Paddy
Hey Paddy, we are staying with Spiros and Anne for our 3rd week in July, leave us some beer please! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nige...
mitera wrote:Have a great time Paddy , i go on the 15 th to Kassiopi , where are the argo not sure i know them , well take care drink plenty ouzo the mossies hate it .. well thats my excuse :lol: :lol:
The Argo Apts. are behind the old Village in Benetsis and are owned by a lovely couple and their family called Spiro and Ann Moraitis. Why not call after the 19th. will be there for 2 weeks.
Best wishes/
Paddy

PaddyOkane

Post by PaddyOkane » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Chris wrote:

These days Paddy, unlike our first visits, there are many products on the market to help against the dreaded mosquito bites. A lot of people highly recommend the Avon Skin so Soft creams, green or pink. My partner uses this as do many friends and swear by it. Some had a few drops of Lavender Oil to it also. Some people use a wrist band, but these are only sold at certain stores. Use of Lavender soap is good, as well as having Lavender Josh Sticks burning in your room, or at the table where you are sat.

I do not take anything of medication. I have enough of that for other problems. I eat a lot of Marmite, moreso when on holiday, such as toast everymorning, maybe at night if in self catering. Marmite has lots of Vitamin B6 which is a good thing against the Mosquito. I also drink lots of Tonic Water, make sure it has real quinine in it, and not a substitute. The quinine is an anti malarial drug.

If you have a fridge in your room at it is not being used as such. Switch it on at night, when cold, leave the door open with a fan in front of it. It really cools the room down, which the mozzies do not like.

If you have anymore queries, do let us know.

Enjoy your holiday in Benitsas. I am sure it will be great to meet up with your friends again. Please tell us all about it on your return, with some nice pictures.

Yeiamas, Chris

Is there a local English radio station in Corfu ?

PaddyOkane

Post by PaddyOkane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:35 am

Al wrote:Hi Paddy

As said above by our very own mitera, Autan is fantastic, a quick spay on exposed skin before going out on an evening
and you wont see any of the little devils.
We also leave two or three electric plug-in's in the room whilst out and replace the tablets on returning or last time we were there we bought the liquid type and did not have to change it at all while we were there these along with the replacement tablets, liquid refill and Autan can be bought locally

Also like Chris has said marmite is very good at deterring mosquito's and before you say ,,,,no you don't spread it on your body lol
A week or so before we go to Corfu we have marmite every morning and evening on toast, and then whilst there we have it every morning on toast for breakfast, a good way of preventing mosquito's

Also take a look here >> ** Mosquito Information **
i spray all over with the Autan (i smell lovely ..not )
A lot cheaper than a bottle of perfume........ Typical Scot anything to save a penny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope it helps Paddy

Happy Holidays

Look forward to hearing how you got on when you return maybe a pic or two for that gallery :dup:

Regards

Back from Benitsis last month and had a great holiday with Spiros and Ann (Argo Apts)
Their Restaurant and accommodation is Benetsis best kept secret.
Food great, apt. and pool immaculate and Spiros and Ann are great hosts.
Would love to post some photos but I don't seem to be able to attach them, HELP

Paddy

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Paddy.

Welcome back to old blighty, and very pleased to read you had a great time in Benitsas and Corfu. We look forward to more reviews, and seeing your photographs. Regarding the latter, you can do one of two things, to upload your photos to the Gallery. (1) Follow the instructions in the Gallery. Click on Corfu 2009, click on Corfu East, then click on Submit an image to this section. Follow the remainder of the instructions and submit. Your pictures will wait in queue and the Al the Administrator will add to the appropriate Gallery. Do not forget to add any wording to the pictures. (2) You can send them by email to Al the Administrator at admin@holidaycorfu.org

You can send them to me if you wish. PM me for my email address, with the details

Yeiamas, Chris

PaddyOkane

Post by PaddyOkane » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi all,
Its hard to believe it's a year nearly to the date since I was last in Corfu.
Heading there on Friday morning from Dublin and looking forward to it.

Hope the weather will be good. Had a great time last year and looking forward to seeing Benetses again
and staying with Ann and Spiro in the Argo Apts.
Will let you know how we got on, later in the year and hopefully some pictures.
Take care.
Paddy

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey Paddy

I hope you and your family have a fantastic Holiday. :dup: :suun: :dup:

Look forward to reading your review on your return and maybe an Image or two for the gallery

We don't go until Aug 6th, bit of a wait but hey that will soon fly by :good2:

All the Best

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Have a great holiday , well did the mossies get you last year ?? were going to Kefalonia on the 27th just hope :cool: :suun: the weather is good

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Mitera

Had a quick look for weather in Kefalonia for you and found this:- * Kefalonia Weather *.
There are other sites out there but just used this one for quickness :grin:

All the Best

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks Al , just hope it doesnt rain as much as it did last year out second week was a wash out in Corfu :ddown: