Maraithia - The Refuge

Ask a question regarding Benitsas or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Maraithia - The Refuge

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Anyone been to The Refuge in Maraithia?

We went there about 22 years ago (we just stumbled upon it by accident) it was set in a clearing amidst Olive Groves with the Taverna on one side of the road and the family's home on the other side. It was such an idyllic setting that we fell in love with it but have never been able to find it since. The family had a young daughter (she's probbably married now with her own family).

I'd be interested in finding out whether it is still there as we might have another go at finding it this year.

Rog

Al
Admin
Admin

Re: Maraithia - The Refuge

Post by Al » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Rog

I will take a ride up there in Aug and have a look around, I have never seen it but would be interested in getting a photo
or two for the gallery.
If you can remember any land marks or anything Rog let me know.

All the best

Al :cool:

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Al

That would be good.

I have just taken a look at my Corfu Map and the best directions I can offer is this. Travelling South after you've gone thro' Argirades there are a series of bends in the road. The turning leading to The Refuge is off to the right hand side just as come to a bend to the left. The best way to describe the road is like driving thro' a forrest (on our trip we felt that at any time Robin Hood and his Band of Merry Men would jump out at us, it was so dark).

You come to a sort of clearing amongst the trees and The Refuge is on the right hand side with the family's house lying on the opposite side of the road and set back a bit. In the gardens of The Refuge are a number of Orange Trees (windfalls were rolling around our feet) in the middle of the Garden was a sprinkler system that they used to turn on at night when it was hot and everyone was dancing.

On the outside walls of the buildings were Swallows nests and the Birds would swoop around your head. We spent a couple of hours there chatting to the daughter as she wanted to improve her English. An English guy came in whilst we were there who told us he had gone over eleven years previously and had helped to build Benitses into what it now is; the guy had just never gone back home as he fell in love with his surroundings like we all do.

It's not going to be the same now as it was then but if you think back 23 years or so you can imagine just what it used to be like. It was magical and we have carried those memories around with us ever since and they are as clear now as they ever were. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Have taken a look on Bing Maps and think I have found the area it is still heavily wooded and there appear to be four buildings now where there was once just two, perhaps the daughter got married and Mum and Dad built her a house (this is the romance of the place). Try this link and see if it takes you there http://www.bing.com/maps/?qs=marathia corfu&countryCode=GB&mm_src=maps#JnE9Lm1hcmF0aGlhK2NvcmZ1JTJjK2dyZWVjZSU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj0zOS42MDI4OTIxNTExNTclN2UyMC4wNzMxMzY2MTI3NzI5JTdlMzkuNDg3NzI4Nzc2NDQ4NSU3ZTE5Ljc1NTIxOTc0MjY1NTg=.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Al

Have taken a look at that Link and it didn't work but, if you type in Maratia corfu greece into the search bar it takes you to where it is. You can zoom in using the Aerial View and see for youself what it looks like.

Rog

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Al

Found this Link it gives you a map but is in German http://www.panoramio.com/photo/18497175

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 pm

http://i26.tinypic.com/1fic6w.jpg http://i32.tinypic.com/2640ti9.jpg

I found the above image from browsing through the interenet. Most of what I have found is in German (obviously their part of the island now), but it definately names Hotel "The Refuge" - Marathias, Corfu, See Link

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks chris

Thats the same link I provided.

Rog

Roger, two minutes apart, obviously working on it at the same time. Mine took longer..... :dup:

Lymmbo

Post by Lymmbo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:41 pm

If you take the road to Marathia from the main road which leads from Agirades towards Lefkimi (there is a taverna on the corner) then take the first available right turn, (there is a small Kafenion on the corner) and follow the road for about 1 kms, you will come to The Refuge. Good luck, we go to Marathia most days when on holiday there from our base at Benitses and love the beach there.

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Lymmbo

Thanks for the info will try and get there this year.

Rog