Welcome to the Kassiopi Forum

Ask a question regarding Kassiopi or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Al
Admin
Admin

Welcome to the Kassiopi Forum

Post by Al » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:17 pm

Welcome to the Holiday Corfu chat forums for Kassiopi
Holiday Corfu is a new style of web site where all recommendations come from the visitors of Corfu NOT advertisers!
Our intention is to build an ever growing source of information for the Island of Corfu.
Holiday Corfu is not a commercial site, but has been put together as a hobby by myself and done purely to pass on information about this beautiful Island.
You can Ask or Answer questions that have been posted by users seeking information.
or you can you recommend where to stay? Which Resturants/Tavernas did you visit for eating out?
Where did you find the Best Beaches? What are your Best Travel Tips?
What Greek Food can you recommend?
If you have just returned from Corfu or Greece why not add your Travel tips to our message boards.
Regulars to Corfu are always dreaming about Corfu and their next visit!

Holiday Corfu is also a place for you to keep in touch with friends you have met on holiday.
We would love to hear your stories about your holiday in Corfu.

Please feel free to join our Forums

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm

Hello Mrix2000

Welcome to Holiday Corfu, and thank you fro your kind words.

Kassiopi is a beautiful village to the northeast of Corfu, although a quite small resort there is still plenty to do.
There is a good selection of tavernas around the harbour all reasonably priced, also a few well stocked supermarkets (British imported foods) as well as the tradishional gifts etc
There is 3 beaches, sand & shingle mostly, with good range of water sports available.
If you have booked a package holiday, I would recommend you book your excursions locally could be a bit expensive otherwise.
One thing you must try to see is the tradishional Greek Dancing, its a good night out, that you can book locally, and who knows you might even get dragged up to join in,,, Great Fun !!!

Hope you have a Great Holiday

Regards

Al 8)

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi mrix2000

You have picked a winner with Kassiopi....It is a village with two main focal points, one being the square which comes alive at night with plenty of lively bars and the other being the harbour with it's bars and restaurants where you can eat and drink and watch the world go by..It's a village where you can have a quite holiday..but if you are into partying then there's that also.

We have been going to Kassiopi since 1988.. 35 times in all and we are now pensioners but still love the friendly feeling we get when we go there...

In the coming days I'll post some more about Kassiopi

Bruce
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:38 pm

To anyone visiting Kassiopi for the first time, the photo that welcomes you on the home page of this site is the harbour at Kassiopi.

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:20 pm

For anyone who is booking independently in Kassiopi this year 2007 always ask the owner of the apartments if they could arrange the transfer by taxi from the airport to Kassiopi and back to the airport..you will almost always get a taxi cheaper as the apartment owner will know the taxi owners. also the taxi driver will know exactly where your accommodation is, unlike a driver from outside the airport who will probably just drop you off in the square in Kassiopi, leaving you to find your own apartment. last year it was €40 so maybe this year 2007 it could go up to about €45/50 each way...and it should take no longer than one hour, by taxi you will not be stopping off at every resort along the way like a coach transfer. but which ever way you decided to travel remember Kassiopi will waiting for you at the end of your journey, where you will have a wonderful holiday.

Bruce
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:22 pm

This is another tip for all Holiday makers.
Before you go, you could send yourself an email to an address that you can access from an internet café in case of emergency. This should include all the info you could possibly need incase of lost, theft or accident. lets hope that you will never need it.

Bruce
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:24 pm

This is another thing I do, I never Wait in a queue at a public telephone where people seem to be right up your back when your talking on the phone, I will find a place that will let you use their phone which is on a meter then at least you can sit down and talk in comfort without people pushing and shoving you.

In Kassiopi there are several places that do this and the best one I know is the local Greek kafenion near the square,there you can have a drink of some sorts while you phone home.

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Here's a another one, if your going self catering in Kassiopi and intend cooking most of your meals, When you go shopping at the supermarkets ask them before you start shopping if they deliver then if they do that will save you the problem of carting bags of shopping back to your apartments, I know they do a delivery service at the Kiros Supermarket in the harbour they also have a wide range of food and drinks including plenty of the goods you see here in the UK. the Greek guy who owns and runs this supermarket is a Mr Kiros who is a most helpful gentleman and always has a welcoming smile on his face.

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Here are a couple of photos showing the main street at about 8.30pm, the top one is looking up towards the main square and the bottom one is going down towards the harbour. you will notice on the left hand side in the top one they have a underground station, just kidding it's a gift shop called the "Underground" run by a very nice lady. and on the right just above the red Suzuki is my friend Agathi's lace shop. the place with the lights on is the Oasis hotel and Taverna. also anybody needing fishing tackle the shop in the left hand bottom of photo sells it and has a nice selection in the shop proper.
http://i14.tinypic.com/48x21w6.jpg

Kostas Bar is to the left with the plant growing up the wall in the bottom photo and the shop where you can see somebody standing outside on the same side is the Dive center run by Angelo Kiros and just this side of the dive center is the new path up to the Castle Ruins, and further down on the same side behind the person in black is Illusions bar. last but not least the main Church entrance to The church of the Blessed Virgin
http://i13.tinypic.com/2q8d3cn.jpg

Bruce
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 pm

This is the harbour at Kassiopi where you can sit in one of many bars and restaurants and watch the world go by, Or for a few Euros go on a boat trip to Corfu Town plus many more destinations up and down the East Coast, and for those that maybe interested in fishing you can fish all around the harbour with rod and tackle brought from numerous shops in Kassiopi. great for the children to try their hand at fishing but you MUST keep your eye on them because the water here being a harbour is deep.

In my "looking down towards the harbour photo" in my last post, this will be the harbour you will come out on.

http://i13.tinypic.com/2vxhcmd.jpg

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:42 pm

This boat is the "Erinoula" skippered by Socrates, just one of the boats that do day trips from Kassiopi down the east coast. also trips to the Kalamaki Sandy Beach for about €5 return where you can walk out for about a 1/8 mile and the warm water is still only up to your knees. great for Children of all ages.

Bruce

http://i12.tinypic.com/4hc39rn.jpg
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:43 pm

This is how clear the water is you swim in around the coast, and in this photo you can see the boulders on the bottom at about 15 ft.. I've dived off the boat that this photo was taken from plenty of times..

Bruce

http://i1.tinypic.com/314w0b7.jpg
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:45 pm

There four main beaches in Kassiopi, the Kalamionas (blue flag), Pipitos, Kanoni and the Bataria, Kalamionnas being the largest and all are shingle but clean with plenty of sunbeds for those of you who are into sun worshiping, ..The beach in my photo is the Bataria Beach, this photo was taken in October and as you can see people were still swimming in the sea, there are plenty more small beaches in the area around Kassiopi that can only be reached by hire boat,,so you could have a nice little beach that holds just three or four people.

Plus you have no need to worry about tides because the tide only rises about 3"

Bruce

http://i3.tinypic.com/2s67p8i.jpg
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:57 pm

This is the Hydropolis water park in Acharavi though not in Kassiopi it is only ten minutes away, It can be booked with several travel agents in Kassiopi who will then transport you to the water park by mini bus in the morning and bring you back late afternoon.. the Hydropolis mini bus is included in the price which you pay. there is a lazy river, small children's chutes, etc, etc. We go every year from Kassiopi.

One tip MAKE SURE THE CHILDREN HAVE PLENTY OF SUN CREAM ON BECAUSE THE SUN IS ON THEM ALL THE TIME

The website below will give you much more information and photos of the water park.

http://www.helsun.gr/hoteldetail.asp?pid=1768

Bruce

http://preview.bcooper65.photosite.com/ ... 663000.jpg

http://preview.bcooper65.photosite.com/ ... 551000.jpg

http://preview.bcooper65.photosite.com/ ... 799000.jpg

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm

There is Greek dancing in some Kassiopi Bars and Restaurants one being in Kostas Bar which is every night from about 10pm onwards (see the link below), there are also others like the Solaris holiday Complex,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW8qNPUb5A0

The Young Lad that is dancing in the video is a Albanian called Tony and he is good. This is just one of the dances performed over about a hour or so..one which includes Kostas (the guy kneeling down in the video) dancing with a table with two chairs on top held between his teeth.

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:10 pm

People ask me what are the prices like in Kassiopi ..Is it cheap or expensive..and to tell the truth I don't really know as I can't judge them against any other country or place as Corfu is the only Country I've been to in the last seventeen years apart from Gibraltar, So the only other prices I know are the ones here in the United Kingdom. which I would say Corfu are on par with since the introduction of the euro.

But I do tell them what ever they pay they will be getting the best and plenty of it... be it food, drink, or what ever..and it will be served up with a smile in a polite way..not slung at you with that .."think yourself lucky I let you eat at my restaurant type look" one gets from a few Basil Fawlty type restaurant owners here.

In Kassiopi there are about a dozen and half restaurants and as many bars and not once have I had a bad meal, drink or bad service.. and have eaten in most of them (favorite being The Three Brothers at the harbour) I've been very lucky over the last seventeen years to have been part of Kassiopi and it's people whom I can call friends ..

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:21 pm

Here are a few of the Restaurants, Bars and places that we have visited during the years that we have been holidaying in Kassiopi but the list is not exhausted there are plenty more as equally good.

Restaurants

Bolero
Istoni
Little Italy
Petrino
Strofilia
Poca Loca
Three Brothers (My favorite)
Uncle Samos

And for that late snack in the early hours of the morning
Number 7 in the square
------------------------------------------

Bars

Agelos Bar
Barons Bar
Harbour Bar
Illusions Bar
Jasmines
Kostas Bar (Again my favorite)
Visions Bar and Club
Wave Bar
----------------------------------------

And there are some really great places outside of Kassiopi to visit as well.. to name a couple ...like.

Aqualand (about 7 km from Corfu Town.. great for the kids and adults alike)

Hydropolis Water Land ( In Acharavi.. Smaller than Aqualand but just as nice and not far from Kassiopi)

Sidari Bowling (Never been there but hoping to go this year)

Corfu Town (you could not visit Corfu Island without going into Corfu Town.. day or night)

Mount Pantokrator ..(Which has a beautiful little Monastery at the top ).

Please feel free to add to my list if you like.

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:22 pm

This website may be of some help to those who have a allergy to nuts, you can download a card that is written in Greek and English stating that you are allergic to nuts which you can then hand to a restaurant or whoever prepares your food,

Under Food and Drink you'll see... "How do I tell the waiter I have a nut allergy?"

http://www.foi.org.uk/content.php?page=faq#19

Bruce

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 am

This may be of use to those holiday makers that like fishing, Around the coast of Corfu if you fish from a boat you are required by Greek law to hold a fishing licence, this does not apply to fishing from the beach, rocks or jetty's just from a boat or pontoon.
Whether or not the Greek Coast Guard would actually stop you fishing from a hire boat I'm not sure, but they have done on occasions when out with a local in his fishing boat, the coast guard do recognise the local boats and sometimes pounce on them and will ask to see all licences. But technically everybody who's fishing from a boat with a rod and line or just a hand line be it Greeks or holiday makers needs a Licence.

Below is a copy of mine for which I needed a photo copy of my passport, two passport size photos and I think about €30 plus home address and this I sent from the UK to Kassiopi which was taken to the port authority office in Corfu town by my friend Kostas.

Bruce

http://preview.bcooper65.photosite.com/ ... 713000.jpg
Last edited by bruceandmaria on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bruceandmaria
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by bruceandmaria » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks Sylvia for that it was very kind.

You know in all the years that I have been going to Kassiopi I have only ever heard one person complain about Kassiopi saying that they had a bad time and would never go back there again and that was a workmate who incidentally complained about every holiday he ever went on no matter where in the world he went.

I sometimes sit and think to myself why is it that I keep going back there, It cant be the beauty of the north east because as stunning as it is we have places here in the UK just as beautiful, so it's not that, then I think can it be the apartments, food, drink, sun, beaches, prices, no it's not any of those, because I can get those here in the UK (perhaps not the sun most of the time).

No it's the people of Kassiopi and Corfu who come from behind their bars, come out of their kitchens in the restaurants and from behind the counters of the shops and out of their houses to cuddle and kiss us like we are their family and this is because we spend just three weeks of the year there.

Holiday makers who have never been to Corfu before always get a warm welcome from the local people with a hand shake and a smile, but once they have been there they are never forgotten, Greeks never seem to forget a face no matter how long ago they last saw you.

I've been going to the same paper shop here where I live in the UK for 30 odd years and still dont get a "good morning"

RIGHT YOU'VE TRIED THE REST NOW TRY THE BEST...KASSIOPI 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce