cozy restaurent bar, kontokali 1981

Ask a question regarding Kontokali or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

summerof81

cozy restaurent bar, kontokali 1981

Post by summerof81 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi, does anyone remember the cozy restaurent bar from the early eighties, i worked there in 1981 as a very young, just turned 18 year old from london, i arrived in early april and worked the summer there, such a beautiful un-spoiled island with amazing warm and friendly greeks who took me in as one of there own ?

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: cozy restaurent bar, kontokali 1981

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Although I have visited Corfu for many years with the Navy, and on holiday, we have only visited Kontokali since 2001. Certainly no Taverna, Restaurant or Bar using that name whilst we visited. There are many others, such as Takis, G&Ms, Beer Bucket, Navigators, Zorbas, and many more, which might have been called that previously. Can you give a rough idea as to where it was in Kontokali.

summerof81

Post by summerof81 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm

pretty sure it was between hotel tessler (dodgy spelling) and a cigarette kiosk and small gift shop run by spiros and his english wife marsha, 40 yards from takis and a small jewellery shop.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Definately no Hotel Tessler. With the locations you give. From the Takis, moving right, one has a large what use to be a restaurant but has been waiting reclamation for sometime now. Next was Pipilas, a wonderful open fronted restaurant. Then a few shops, including a cigarette shop, The Navigators Bar, a few more shops including a jewellers and another cigarette shop. Hope this helps.

summerof81

Post by summerof81 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:29 pm

hotel telesilla is the correct spelling, it was to the right of that as you looked at it, opposite a small piece of waste land used to hire motor bikes and push bikes,its obviously changed hands/name by now, the navigators was owned by an english man and his irish wife, had some great nights there. Takis would remember mikalis who owned the cozy restaurant bar with his english girlfriend, it was the best restaurant in kontokali them days, then you had harrys and then real harrys, the last restaurant before a disco and gouvia, i had a magical time in those days, had my 18th birthday while working there, kontokali was a small not to built up village, mikalis owned a small villa in kontokali off the beaten track which he allowed me to live in while i worked at the cozy, after leaving there I done various work to live on, 1000 dracs a day or £10 in those days working on building sites and also olive picking in beautifull paleokostritsa, i often thougt i could have wrote a book about those amazing 6 months its all still so clear, thanks for taking the time to chat, regards, steve

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Ah, the Telesilla. Still going well, and have stayed there a couple of times myself. Harry's Restaurant is still there, but cannot think of any disco before heading off to Gouvia. The Harbour Lights reopened two years ago, on the outskirts of Kontokali towards Gouvia, but I think it did not last for long, but apparently it was similar to a previous property from way back. Here is a link to the Telesilla, HOTEL TELESILLA KONTOKALI

Corfusian

Post by Corfusian » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 am

Very interesting, all that. However, I am afraid I am much too much of an old-timer to properly answer the question. I first stayed at Takis' in 1968 (!). [Note: I am not dead!]

Pamela

Al
Admin
Admin

Post by Al » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Corfusian (Pamela)

A warm welcome to you and thank you for taking the time to register with us. :good2:

Age is but a number :dup: , it would be interesting to read your view of the Takis from 1968 and if you
have been back to see what changes have taken place.......

We always stay in the south of the Island in a lovely village called Messonghi, it's that laid back they only recently got tarmac on the road to our apartments where we stay about three or four years back, and the old couple who used to walk passed our apartments with their donkey going to tend their plot of land who lived just around the corner, have just got a little tractor type thing to get up into the hills....

Look forward to hearing from you

Best Regards

Al :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Fri May 13, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Pamela

I am presuming your are the same Pamela from the US. Long time since the heady days of the other Corfu sites in particular HHC. How are you. I myself have been very poorly over the past half a year, but glad to say I am on the mend. I had severe problems with my legs, a problem from some time back that reared is ugly head again. This time it was treated properly and hopefully will not happen again. What have you been doing with yourself. Still no signs of getting back to Corfu and the Takis, is it still expensive from your side of the world. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. I have been absent from the forum for a few months for many reasons, mostly illness, but hopefully will be posting more in times to come.

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Fri May 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Chris how lovely to see you posting again , the forum :suun: really hasnt been the same without you , im happy to hear you are on the mend xx

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Fri May 13, 2011 5:11 pm

It is my intentions to return full time so to speak as soon as possible. We feel, as does my doctor that things are getting much better, and hopefully it will continue in this way. The main problem was my legs, which caused me to go into a deep depression because I became disabled, and invalid in my own home, and was unable to get out, moreso as we live in a first floor flat. I have not suffered with depression before, and would not like to do so at any time in the future. With the support of Elaine, the visiting nurses and my doctor, I have had a great team to ensure I get back to some sort of normality again. And we have succeeded.

So now I am slowly reintroducing myself back into the internet media. I have already had some negative comments on other forums, but that comes with all one can expect with some forums. I look forward to returning in full sooner than later. Thank you for your kind words Susie.

Johnnyboy517

Post by Johnnyboy517 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm

This is an old forum and a late reply, but I just came across it. I remember Cozy's in 1981 - I even worked there for a while! I lived in Kontokali for the summer with a bunch of students from Sheffield (I was one of them) and we used to run a tourist evening at a place called the Farm at Afra. Spent nearly all my evenings hanging out in Kontokali and Gouvia. I can hardly remember any of the bars now, but Takis Taverna rings a bell. Pipilas restaurant across the road, Navgators Bar and the Adonis Disco in Gouvia. There as also a place we called the 'Ten Drac' bar because all drinks were ten drachmas! They were our hang outs.
I worked at Cozy's in July/August with English three girls, the names of whom I can't remember, except for one, Sue, who I went out with for a while. She was fun and I remember her getting into a row with the owner when she threw out some food that had been lying around the kitchen for weeks.
I often think about it - probably the best time I ever had.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:43 am

The Takis Bar and Hotel are thriving in Kontokali and offer good deals on holiday accommodation. The Navigators has recently had a big refurbishment, but retained its character from the past. Pipilas Restaurant remains as always, and is one our favourite restaurants in Kontokali, where the food is fantastic and the service is spot on.

As for the Adonis Disco, I cannot recall it still being in Gouvia. If it is, no doubt someone will confirm this. Whispers and Tree Tops remain, and cater for all ages making it two great night clubs to visit.

With regards to the Farm at Afra. I have not heard of this for sometime now, probably from way back in my earlier visits. However there is a place called @Home, which is located on the road to Afra from Kontokali, in a village called Danilla. This bar/taverna/restaurant hosts lots of live music, and is visited by holidaymakers and visitors all the time.

We look forward to hearing more from you in respect of your times on Corfu.

Johnnyboy517

Post by Johnnyboy517 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks for the update. The Farm at Afra closed down many years ago - I went back in 2001 and visited all the old haunts. The Farm was still there but was derelict. Through the iron gates I could see lots of broken tables and chairs stil lying around - it looked like it had been abandoned in a hurry and nobody had returned to clean it up.
Kontokali and Gouvia had changed quite a bit and was much more developed than I remember it. I can't imagine what it's like now.
As for the Adonis disco, it was a shack when I lived there. By 2001 it was a basement club. No idea if it still exists.
Spent quite a bit of time in Corfu town too - used to go to the market every morning to buy the food for the Greek evening. I remember Pizza Pete very well, it was across the road from the office of the company that owned the Farm, Ventura Holidays. Then just round the corner was a bar called Dirty Dicks - don't know if its still there, but I remember signing their visitors book and it would be incredible to see that if it still existed and if they kept the old books...doubt it.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm

The Dirty Dicks you refer to was located down near the Old Port at Corfu Town, and I recollect from my last visit that it is no longer there. It use to be a place where Back Packers would congregate and leave messages on the walls and in books in hope of finding other Back Packer friends. The only other Dirty Dicks I know of is in the village of Karousades about half way between Sidari and Roda, and set back inland just over a kilometer from the shoreline.

I should have clarifed myself a bit more, when talking of Afra, I actually did mean Danilia which is on the same road, and this village offers some traditional Greek features such as crafts, music, food and drink. It does make a good night out from the norm of resort style villages and towns.