HOLIDAYS IN MORIATIKA

Ask a question regarding Moraitika or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

gillians

HOLIDAYS IN MORIATIKA

Post by gillians » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:18 am

I went to Corfu in the early 80's. In fact I went there two years in a row. I stayed in Moriatika the first time and then in Moriatika and Benitses the second. I remember a pub in the main street called the Red Lion - and was run by a Spiros bloke who was a bit older. I also remember a place we used to go to where they sold BP Petrol and they used to dance around the pumps when drunk. There was a family of Greeks who owned it and good fun and food good as it was a gas station and a restaurant. Also a club up on a hill like a disco. I stayed at this little Villa place the first time and there was this local character called Charlie George. I believe he worked at one of the hotels. Also there was a fur shop next to that pub and I bought a coat and some fox tails. There was a posh hotel on the beach there I think Spiros had some involvement in. There was a piano player in the lounge a British guy who drank a lot called Richard - Kind of upper class type. I heard he went on to work at some other luxury hotel further down - they had one of those birds that used to yell out "Milaka" each time we went in the bar. There was also some type of farm up along the main road and the next year I went there it was converted into a bar and taverna. The young guy who owned it was quite nasty. When I went again and stayed in Benitses I stayed at some kind of room above a pub called the Rovers Return. I got stung by a hornet and had to go to hospital in the town. Benitses was ok but I liked Moriatika better as more friendly.

Are any of these places still there? Anybody remember any of this stuff.

gillians

Re: HOLIDAYS IN MORIATIKA

Post by gillians » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:44 pm

well thanks for the information. Is that the same Spiros who had the Red Lion. He will be up there in years now. Do you remember Richard the Piano Player from that posh hotel on the beach. I have lived out here in California (LA) for the past 20 odd years and although do get back to the uk and Europe (going this year to Amsterdam and Paris) I have wanted to go back to Corfu for years now. I have been to Athens and also a few of the other islands, Hydra, Poros and I also went to Thassos one year. But when we do go to Greece will go first to Athens of course as my husband wishes to see it and if one goes all that way one should - and then I think I cannot go to Greece without going to Moriatika and Corfu. What hotel would you recommend by the way to stay in at Moriatika - the one on the beach the posh one???? or anyplace else.

gillians

Re: HOLIDAYS IN MORIATIKA

Post by gillians » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:43 pm

well thanks for your swift replies. I believe I heard that Richard passed away with liver failure. As you may recall he drank a lot..... Is that the same Spiros by the way who had the Red Lion??? And Charlie George - if you know Spiros and knew of Richard you will surely remember Charlie george. Always wore white blinding shirts and trousers and "liked all the women" despite his poor suffering wife back at the Villa who accepted it. They all seemed to back then. Also the petrol pump place - remember the old man who used to "mind the handbags" for the girls. He had two sons who were fantastic dancers. They ran the restaurant. I am going back so far now to about early 1980's.

I will get back there though one year. I love Corfu always did.

It was strange - I often mentioned it to a couple of guys here in LA and one of them said "I have heard so much about it - I feel like i have been there - and they decided to go and visit"""" they did like it a lot. They went to a few other places though in Greece and I think ended up staying in Benitses.