Ask a question regarding Moraitika or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Post by gillians » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:16 am

One year when I stayed at that Charlie George's nice little villa on the main road by Spiros place which I believe was called the Red Lion opposite by the villa was a farmyard with chickens and goats that used to keep me awake half the night. However, when I went back there another year the greek fella who owned the little farm had converted the place into a really lovely bar and restaurant. I cannot remember his name but a friend of mine knew him. Also, the Petrol Pump guys at the BP station the two brothers and their huge family. Are they still there the brothers? One of them was the most fantastic dancer and used to come out with bottles on his head dancing. I used to go back to the uk and practice in front of the mirror all the winter so I could have a go at dancing with glasses on my head and so forth. I did learn to Greek dance a bit -- it was hard. I managed a few steps here and there but very very athletic and energetic. It looked easy but it isn't.

Although I live out here in Los Angeles - I hope to get back to Corfu one day. Hoewver I am going to Amsterdam and Paris at the end of this month. Hopefully will get there next year. My husband though has never been to greece and if he goes to greece he should see Athens first as I have been to Athens. Then it looks like we have to fly to Corfu from Athens as boat appears to be unavailable - only way is a bus ride to some other part of Southern greece and then a ferry which takes a long time. The ferries appear to serve the other islands. I have been to a few Greek islands in my time but Corfu is my favorite. I have been to Poros, Aegina, Hydra, Athens of course the mainland and some other places there, and to the north Thassos island which I think is really Macedonia. And of course Corfu. I liked Corfu the best as is green. I also went to Paxos from Corfu one time.

I remember we went one time on some boat trip out of Benitses and we sailed off and then the bloke who ran the trip - anchored the boat on some sandbank and we all stepped off the boat and we were about 4 feet in the water and it was odd swimming in the middle of the ocean like that. Never forgot it. I think perhaps back then I took more chances with things.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Gillians. Your plans sound wonderful. Amsterdam and Paris this year, and then to Greece, in particular for your husband to see Athens. I do not know if you are aware but a new highway is nearing completion this year which spans the Greek mainland and terminates at Igoumenitsa, which is the port where you can catch the ferry to Corfu. Some four hundred miles or so. I would imagine the journey by car would be fantastic stopping off at various places enroute.

Such places as the Meteora Monasteries high up on the mountain tops. I believe, if you do not want to drive yourself, then there are coach trips to the Port of Igoumenitsa, to connect with the ferries.

There are other routes, or as you say, to fly over from Athens. There are regular flights.

Yeiamas, Chris